The reason why healthy food doesn't taste good

Page 2 of 4 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

01 May 2012, 2:32 pm

SpiritBlooms wrote:
Joker wrote:
To say that food that is good for you does not taste good is a lie. If you know anything about cooking all food can be cooked to taste good and can be healthy for you.
True! I remember the first time I ate broccoli was in a school cafeteria (in the 60s) where it had been boiled so long it was bitter. I thought I hated broccoli until I finally tasted it lightly steamed as a teenager. Now it's my favorite veggie of all. I love it prepared almost any way except BOILED TO DEATH. :D


As a child I never liked raddishes beats or coal flower until I started learning how to cook. Now I can make them taste good and it still be healthy for me too :D



ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,921
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

02 May 2012, 1:53 am

Kurgan wrote:
What's the point of this thread? First of all, humans are programmed to Like food that tastes sweet. Secondly, humans are (usually) programmed to like meat, eggs and so on because we need more proteins than other apes.

A lot of unhealthy foods (eg. wheat) has very little taste.


Protein =/= meat and eggs.

It's virtually-impossible to be protein-deficient without also being calorically deficient.


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,921
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

02 May 2012, 1:55 am

As has been said, half the problem is people don't relish and put the time and effort into cooking things which are healthy.
Entire international competitions and backyard rivalries are had over whose BBQ or steak seasoning is the best,
or Mama's old cake recipe with entire cups of BUTTER AND SUGAR
and then people just BOIL some veggies limp and conclude healthy food tastes "bad".

Part of it is people's taste is so whacked out.
When people consume refined sugar in the amounts that we see leading to the diabetes epidemic,
of COURSE fruits are going to taste lame in comparison (for instance)-
same with any other healthful food- our bodies naturally crave it,
but in industrialized nations there exists a food industry built on decades of hyperloading processed foods with those tastes.


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,763

02 May 2012, 10:09 am

I think I read somewhere that the way plants are bred for maximum size has in fact diminished the taste. Supposedly many fruits used to have a more sweet and savory taste then they do now.



Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,379
Location: Scandinavia

02 May 2012, 11:43 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
What's the point of this thread? First of all, humans are programmed to Like food that tastes sweet. Secondly, humans are (usually) programmed to like meat, eggs and so on because we need more proteins than other apes.

A lot of unhealthy foods (eg. wheat) has very little taste.


Protein =/= meat and eggs.

It's virtually-impossible to be protein-deficient without also being calorically deficient.


It is indeed possible. To actually get decent results in terms of muscle gain, you need at least 1,8 metric grams of protein per kg of your own bodyweight. You average bread and butter diet gives you roughly 50 grams of protein per day.

If I were to get my daily need in protein simply by eating vegetables, I'd have to eat 5000-6000 calories a day and spend close to 100 USD on food every day. Furthermore, my cholesterol levels would be too low.



ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,921
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

02 May 2012, 9:42 pm

Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
What's the point of this thread? First of all, humans are programmed to Like food that tastes sweet. Secondly, humans are (usually) programmed to like meat, eggs and so on because we need more proteins than other apes.

A lot of unhealthy foods (eg. wheat) has very little taste.


Protein =/= meat and eggs.

It's virtually-impossible to be protein-deficient without also being calorically deficient.


It is indeed possible. To actually get decent results in terms of muscle gain, you need at least 1,8 metric grams of protein per kg of your own bodyweight. You average bread and butter diet gives you roughly 50 grams of protein per day.

If I were to get my daily need in protein simply by eating vegetables, I'd have to eat 5000-6000 calories a day and spend close to 100 USD on food every day. Furthermore, my cholesterol levels would be too low.

Fail.
A little over two cups of TVP is a HUNDRED grams of protein. Around 200 calories. I'm not sure why you think X amount of protein necessitates eating X number of calories. TVP is dirt cheap. I just got a canteloupe-sized ball of the stuff, around ten cups of it, for a dollar something at Whole Foods. My cholesterol's "amazing" (doctor's word). What gives?


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


conan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 784

03 May 2012, 7:47 am

Joker wrote:
coal flower
:lol: :lol: cauliflower??
I don't mean to take the piss just found this funny, made me think of eating coal :D



Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 196
Location: Funeralopolis

03 May 2012, 10:22 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Fail.
A little over two cups of TVP is a HUNDRED grams of protein. Around 200 calories. I'm not sure why you think X amount of protein necessitates eating X number of calories. TVP is dirt cheap. I just got a canteloupe-sized ball of the stuff, around ten cups of it, for a dollar something at Whole Foods. My cholesterol's "amazing" (doctor's word). What gives?

Protein is 4 calories per gram, how can you get 100g with only 200 calories?


_________________
I speak with a whisper and feel with a shout


conan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 784

03 May 2012, 10:40 am

the point of protein intake though is not to metabolise it but to incorporate it into your tissue.
that's not the same as metabolising it for the calories. i dunno if when you intake protein whether the protein/cells it replaces are then metabolised in a balanced manner or not.



ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,921
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

03 May 2012, 12:49 pm

Gravechylde wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Fail.
A little over two cups of TVP is a HUNDRED grams of protein. Around 200 calories. I'm not sure why you think X amount of protein necessitates eating X number of calories. TVP is dirt cheap. I just got a canteloupe-sized ball of the stuff, around ten cups of it, for a dollar something at Whole Foods. My cholesterol's "amazing" (doctor's word). What gives?

Protein is 4 calories per gram, how can you get 100g with only 200 calories?


Because different protein types have different caloric amounts. :)

Let's say it IS 4 calories a gram. So then it's 400 calories. Not "5,000-6,000".


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

03 May 2012, 1:14 pm

I could make a very long list of healthy foods that taste good I think heatlhy foods taste the best.



Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 196
Location: Funeralopolis

03 May 2012, 10:31 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Gravechylde wrote:
Protein is 4 calories per gram, how can you get 100g with only 200 calories?

Because different protein types have different caloric amounts. :)

Let's say it IS 4 calories a gram. So then it's 400 calories. Not "5,000-6,000".

I've never heard that before, everything I've seen/heard said 4 (there was one that said 3.2 but that was in general), do you have a source about that?

Yeah, concentrated would be much more efficient than trying to eat the vegetables themselves.


_________________
I speak with a whisper and feel with a shout


ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,921
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

04 May 2012, 11:30 am

Gravechylde wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Gravechylde wrote:
Protein is 4 calories per gram, how can you get 100g with only 200 calories?

Because different protein types have different caloric amounts. :)

Let's say it IS 4 calories a gram. So then it's 400 calories. Not "5,000-6,000".

I've never heard that before, everything I've seen/heard said 4 (there was one that said 3.2 but that was in general), do you have a source about that?

Yeah, concentrated would be much more efficient than trying to eat the vegetables themselves.


Here's the label:
Nurition Label

Does eating vegetables really pose that big of a challenge for you, where it's a matter of "trying" to?


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."


Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 196
Location: Funeralopolis

04 May 2012, 1:56 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Gravechylde wrote:
I've never heard that before, everything I've seen/heard said 4 (there was one that said 3.2 but that was in general), do you have a source about that?

Yeah, concentrated would be much more efficient than trying to eat the vegetables themselves.


Here's the label:
Nurition Label

Does eating vegetables really pose that big of a challenge for you, where it's a matter of "trying" to?

That doesn't show less than 4 calories per gram. 11g x 4 = 44, that leaves 16 calories 8 of which are from the sugar, with 8 left over.

Personally, I don't have a problem eating fruits/vegetables, I eat them everyday. But I couldn't switch to vegan, and health wise I'm doing low carbs, which seems to be working well for me and since I'm having less carbs, I need to get the calories elsewhere, which would be from fat. Which would be hard to do as vegan, unless i just drink olive oil, or have a lot of nuts which I don't like for anything more than a snack. I'd rather just have some animal product, and I eat humanely treated whenever possible.


_________________
I speak with a whisper and feel with a shout


ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 May 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,921
Location: Beneath my cat's paw

04 May 2012, 3:54 pm

Gravechylde wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Gravechylde wrote:
I've never heard that before, everything I've seen/heard said 4 (there was one that said 3.2 but that was in general), do you have a source about that?

Yeah, concentrated would be much more efficient than trying to eat the vegetables themselves.


Here's the label:
Nurition Label

Does eating vegetables really pose that big of a challenge for you, where it's a matter of "trying" to?

That doesn't show less than 4 calories per gram. 11g x 4 = 44, that leaves 16 calories 8 of which are from the sugar, with 8 left over.

Personally, I don't have a problem eating fruits/vegetables, I eat them everyday. But I couldn't switch to vegan, and health wise I'm doing low carbs, which seems to be working well for me and since I'm having less carbs, I need to get the calories elsewhere, which would be from fat. Which would be hard to do as vegan, unless i just drink olive oil, or have a lot of nuts which I don't like for anything more than a snack. I'd rather just have some animal product, and I eat humanely treated whenever possible.


Right, I see that now- the one in the store might have been wrong, or I misread.
In any case, as you can see, it provides about a quarter of the recommended daily protein.
Calories can either come from fat, protein, or carbs. If you're doing the low-carb thing, that leaves the other two.
A snack-sized amount of nuts packs a ton of calories.
Veganism isn't a welfarist philosphy, so "humanely-treated" doesn't have much to do with it.


_________________
"Such is the Frailty
of the human Heart, that very few Men, who have no Property, have any Judgment of their own.
They talk and vote as they are directed by Some Man of Property, who has attached their Minds
to his Interest."