Why are mood swings associated with AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 2:33 am

I have some sort of mood swings, according to my friend and my mother. I don't always notice it, though. Sensory and emotional overload usually pushes me on the depression / anxiety side, while some success in my life (including social achievements) or a pleasant event such as going to a bicycle tour can elevate my mood. Sometimes watching my favorite tv show (Star Trek DS9) or reading a very good book (for the Nth time) is enough, but there are periods in which I rather lean towards depression. However, there always seems to be a cause or causes behind it, at least in hindsight.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 4:13 am

I never really noticed it until recently my moods swing from depressed to happy and hyper a lot. :roll:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 7:10 am

I'm incredibly moody, and it's because of my AS. I am not bipolar. My "high" moods are always related to my special interests. My anger/outbursts are always related to sensory issues, interruption in routine, or sudden change.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 7:51 am

I've always assumed that my mood swings are due to the duality of my brain in asperger/add. Sometimes the add-traits are stronger and then I'm more manic and sometimes the asperger traits are stronger, and then I'm usually more depressed/anxious

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:53 am

could be it's just the way we are. also, many aspies have adhd, i do. maybe we're just very emotional, more so than NTs.
it could also be we have to deal with more than an average NT has to deal with. or maybe it's just the aspie nature that's prone to depression. i can get depressed, too, without enough reason, or sometimes without a reason at all.