Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 8:11 am

Has anyone done/is anyone currently doing the IB program? (International Baccalaureate)? How did you cope with the exams?

I started mine today, and have them through May 21st. The mock exams were bad enough but I feel like these real ones are going to go really bad.
Also, how did you cope with each subject specifically? Some subjects are harder than others.

I have;
History HL
English A1 HL
Business and Management HL
Biology SL
Swedish B SL
Maths Studies

I'm most worried for history, I haven't really studied any other subject, only history because there's so much to remember, and I still feel like I'm going to fail it, even though history is my "aspie subject" :(

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 8:36 am

sounds like you're awfulizing. the real exams will probably be very close to the mock ones and i bet you ace the history exam. study other stuff, too, so you don't shoot yourself in the foot by missing out on doing well in other subjects.

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 8:45 am

This is very true but my history results weren't that great in the mocks either which is why I'm stressing. We have to write 5 essays in total, picking 2 questions to answer in one exam and 3 in the other, both from lists of about 30Qs in total, but whenever I look at them I can never see any Qs that I think "Yeah I can answer that" and I get hardly any points even on the ones I feel I've answered well :?

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 8:49 am

My partner is not on the spectrum, but did the IB (ended up getting 34, and I don't understand why because he did no work). I can only provide anecdotal evidence, which I apologise for, but apparently sometimes people want 'stories' and not objective truth.

I don't know how your school did the mocks, but for my partner they were at the end of the first year. Was it the same for you? Did you do okay in the mocks? Because if you did, you'll definitely be fine.

My partner did English HL, German HL (it wasn't until the exam that he realised he was the only non-native speaker taking German at higher), Psychology HL, Biology SL, Art SL, Maths studies.

I remember the week before the exams, and they only thing he revised at all was Psychology (he made me help him, and a lot of it has stuck in my head). He ended up getting English 6, German 6, Psychology 6, Biology 6, Art 5, Maths Studies 4, and he got some points from his TOK essay, and his English extended essay.

Conversely his friend ended up getting 25 points, and she revised very, very hard for all her subjects.

I guess what I'm saying is, revising isn't the most important factor in achieving in exams, so worry a little less about what you're revising if you can. If you feel you're revising the most important thing, and you generally have okay judgement, then that's enough.

Good luck for your exams!

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 9:12 am

Wow I hope I end up like your partner!
We had our mocks in Jan/Feb of this year, so middle of year 2. I didn't study at all for hem because I'm a lazy sod, and I did okay on them, the same as almost everyone else (at least that's what my tutor said), but most of the results were 3s and 4s, with the exception of English and Swedish.
My predicted grades are 3-5 on all subjects apart from Eng/Swe (both 6-7) because it "depends on the questions" which I think is a s**t reason because that's true for everyone, but I think that's what's making me really scared - I see everyone else doing really well and studying lots and for the first 2 of 6 revision weeks I did pretty much f-all, I couldn't get my arse in gear. It also doesn't help that everyone in my class are pretty calm over exams (except for Psychology), which makes me feel really stupid, which is silly cause my IQ is higher than all of theirs :( :?

but thanks, that story did make me feel a little better :)

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 9:32 am

Leiservampir wrote:
Wow I hope I end up like your partner!
We had our mocks in Jan/Feb of this year, so middle of year 2. I didn't study at all for hem because I'm a lazy sod, and I did okay on them, the same as almost everyone else (at least that's what my tutor said), but most of the results were 3s and 4s, with the exception of English and Swedish.
My predicted grades are 3-5 on all subjects apart from Eng/Swe (both 6-7) because it "depends on the questions" which I think is a sh** reason because that's true for everyone, but I think that's what's making me really scared - I see everyone else doing really well and studying lots and for the first 2 of 6 revision weeks I did pretty much f-all, I couldn't get my arse in gear. It also doesn't help that everyone in my class are pretty calm over exams (except for Psychology), which makes me feel really stupid, which is silly cause my IQ is higher than all of theirs :( :?

but thanks, that story did make me feel a little better :)

That is a rubbish reason. Well, also regarding predicted grades, I don't think they really mean much, because my Sociology teacher predicted me a D for AS Level, and I ended up getting A (and not just an A, because to achieve an A you need 80% of the marks, and I got 98%).

So, I wouldn't be too concerned.

A side note, I notice your signature has Murakami in it. Nice reading choice! I like him. My partner really likes him.

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 9:41 am

I hope I also get 98% in my exams :lol:

Murakami is one of my English lit. books, he was soooo boring to read at first, and I didn't understand what the hell he was going on about but after I finished it, I re-read it. And re-read it. And read Norwegian Wood and some others, and now I love him :D

hollowfields
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jun 2012, 7:56 pm

I had US Ap. AP being the counterpart to IB. I earned an B,B,and A- cause my school is on trimesters. So, just chill and apply yourself.

hanpil35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2015, 4:51 pm

Hi,
I am an aspie and I have just started the IB and I was just wondering how you did it? I think it's really difficult.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 5:14 pm

Wow, sounds hard. Does your school have a disability services office? If so go see them. If not ask someone, you should be able to get accommodations. I get extra time on all my college tests.

hanpil35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2015, 9:29 am

My school does not have a disability services office...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 9:30 am

An IB is really cool.

I hope you succeed in your quest.

I wish they had that when I was going to high school.

hanpil35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2015, 9:35 am

IB is cool I guess, but is is much harder than regular Norwegian high schools. And also, my teacher thinks aspergers is a disease, and he told me that he don't think I gan graduate if I don't do anything about my "disease".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 9:38 am

Your teacher is talking crap.

If I'm not mistaken, if you complete the IB, you'd be getting at least some university credits.

hanpil35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2015, 9:41 am

Yes, I will. I think I want to study in the UK or US and doing the IB makes it a lot easier getting in to universities abroad.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 9:44 am

It's true. You have to evolve within your Asperger's. You should try to be better socially, and to have less meltdowns/shutdowns/whatever.

But your teacher is still talking crap. Because he's advocating you "getting rid" of your Asperger's, rather than using it to your advantage.

I'm glad you're taking the right road. I wish you luck in your future studies.