Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 12:02 am

I always figured "smart ass" was sort of a compliment. In a black humour sort of way. Basically like saying you're a witty bastard (around here, "bastard" is sort of a friendly pejorative)

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

06 May 2012, 8:31 am

Verdandi wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
I guess my avatar is considered rude, I don't see it that way. In general my 'rudeness' is either honesty or lack of political correctness.

Your avatar is rude? Weird.

I am not sure there is really a distinction between "lack of political correctness" and being rude.

According to the IDEA (disability org. in the States), the correct term is a "person who has autism" (person first)-so they would consider calling someone an autistic to be pollitically incorrect, but I don't think it is rude. To call someone ret*d is both politically incorrect and rude. To call someone a lot of other names could be considered just plain rude.

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

06 May 2012, 8:42 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
I guess my avatar is considered rude, I don't see it that way. In general my 'rudeness' is either honesty or lack of political correctness.

Sticking up the middle finger is considered a rude gesture among humans in certain cultures.

I don't see how that could possible apply to a chimpanzee. Chimpanzees have no concept that sticking up their middle fingers is "rude" in certain human cultures.

Your avatar isn't "rude," except to people who anthropomorphize non-human animals.

Dissecting the picture is pointless-it is the obvious message behind the picture that some people would consider rude. When my older brother was in college, he had a t-shirt with an alien on it with a big smile on his face also with his middle finger up-different creature, but same unmistakable message, that many people would consider rude.

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

06 May 2012, 9:10 am

edgewaters wrote:
I always figured "smart ass" was sort of a compliment. In a black humour sort of way. Basically like saying you're a witty bastard (around here, "bastard" is sort of a friendly pejorative)

Same here. I've always taken it as a compliment, which may or may not be a good thing since I get called it all the time. Better smart than dumb.

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 11:31 am

Mdyar wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
I have a bunch of anecdotes.

Long time ago: Some new neighbors asked me if they were too loud. I replied: " you guys are the quiet-est people I've ever heard"

She looked at me eye to eye( she was close) and said " you smart ass."

I don't get it.

I remarked that essentially they were ( so far) the quietest of the noisiest neighbors or 'least noisy.'

I was being truthful, though likely this would have been said differently or not at all.

This is one of my trademarks, unfortunately.

I still don't get how that was rude and why it made you a smart ass.