Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 May 2012, 2:10 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
You may be young and still short of life experiences. It is only dishonest people who get ahead. No-one ever got rich by simply doing what one was told.

Speaking of which--I wonder how she got so rich, on a professor's salary?

Considering she said 'nobody gets rich on their own', I'm curious as well.

According to her tax returns she makes about $700k+ a year from Harvard, 'consulting', book royalties. She also owns $8 million in mutual funds and IBM stock.

Her husband is also a prominent Harvard professor so I imagine he is worth quite a bit of money himself.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 5:06 pm

Apparently this is causing enough of a stink that the C word of New England Democratic politics is starting to be whispered... Coakley.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 6:46 pm

taxman wrote:
I'm an enrolled member of the Cherokee Tribe [the main group in Oklahoma] and can say that she is really no different than a lot of others out there. and unless she has an ancestor on the tribal rolls taken a little over a century ago there probably is no way to really determine the truth of her claim. The government took a count of the tribal members back then and those who participated in it are the only ones whose descendants can officially be called Cherokee today. There are people back then who did not want to participate and I believe their descendants have a very hard time proving their Indian ancestry, even in cases where they obviously *are* Indian.

1/32 may not seem like much, but I have heard of tribal members with even less [something like 1/512.] The Cherokee tribe [especially the group that was moved to Oklahoma] was always very pro-assimilation and intermarriage with whites was commonplace. The principal Chief of the tribe [our equivalent to President, basically] during the removals was only 1/8 Cherokee. The Cherokee have never had any kind of minimum blood quantum, which is why they are one of the larger tribes.

I think if she does not have an ancestor on the tribal roll [and they do not mention which of the three officially recognized tribes of Cherokee in the US she is claiming] she should not claim it.

I'm 5/16 Cherokee by the way, although apparently I also have another tribe, but the Bureau of Indian Affairs only allows a person to "officially" be one tribe. I do believe I could enroll in the second tribe, it would depend on each tribe's rules., although I believe it is allowed because my grandfather is enrolled in both tribes.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... t-brown-/1

Quote:
A genealogist traced Warren's Native American heritage to her great-great-great grandmother, who listed herself as Cherokee in her 1894 marriage license.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 6:49 pm

Looking at her Wikipedia report, she seems extremely well qualified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Warren

She even taught Sunday school.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 1:13 am

i worked with someone who had a similar option as Elizabeth Warren, but the Canadian disclosure question is a little different for employment with the federal government. on the application and in the hiring process, the forms ask if a person is a member of a VISIBLE minority, which would imply that the person LOOKS african-Canadian or asian or native Canadian or something.

my coworker was partly white and partly black (don't know the proportions), and she appeared quite caucasian. so she actually asked us (her fellow new hires) whether she should disclose herself as a minority, considering she did not LOOK like she was a member of a minority. it's a touchy question.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 7:06 am

What strange wording.

What happens if you are an African Albino?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 May 2012, 10:46 am

DC wrote:
What strange wording.

What happens if you are an African Albino?

An albino person of African descent does not look appear European because of their lack of pigment. An albino person in general regardless of orgin could probably be considered a 'visible minority' on their own in my opinion.