Teachers make me move to the front of the class.

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dp0p
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2012, 9:23 pm

KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
Hello everyone.

I really hate when a teacher makes me move to a different seat than my usual one- in most of my classes, I sit at the very back because the front makes me feel uncomfortable; at the front I am almost forced to make eye contact with a teacher or at least look at their face. I also like my own space. This happened to me again, today; I was in my chemistry class, and if it wasn't bad enough that we had already changed teachers and moved from our usual classroom to a completely different one,this teacher also made me move from the back seat (which I was very comfortable at) all the way to the front of the class, right next to where she teaches! This happened for no apparent reason, as there were plenty of spaces in the classroom, away from the front...I of course didn't cope with this change well- as usual, I sat there silently, discreetly stimming, with my heartbeat racing. :(

So, anyway I just wanted to know if anyone else had ever felt like this or experienced this before?

as an australian born serbian, german, irish, celtic 16 yr old male with add asbhergers and asthma i dont take illogical instructions well at all....
every time a teacher tries to move me to the front for no obviouse reason i fight it, by firstly askiny "Why?" if they dont answer or their answer doesnt stisfy me i will do one of two things, 1. wait until they ask me to move again then simply repeat"Why?" 2. state that i will move if they tell me why but until such a time i will remain seated (yes i say it like that but louder and angrier). if they still refuse to divulge this information to me i say "NO" this often ends with an extreemly ammusing battle of the wits, luckily my ADD arms me with wave after wave of witty responces and my asbhergers makes sure all of them are both logical and plausible. as my school is largly designed to catter for people like me (we have a special unit devoted to 'learning disabilities')
i get away with it. now most teachers dare not attempt such follish acts and i can sit in the back left corner next to a window with no one behind me and the door in my periferals without a teacher moving me.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 1:46 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I'm glad things went okay. :D

Now, in a sense, it shouldn't be such a dicey situation where you need to do this much advance planning, but maybe with a new teacher, and a social situation with a previous bad outcome, maybe it is sometimes necessary.

I suppose so...:)

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 11:00 pm

I remember once in fifth grade one day I just took everything out of my desk and moved it to a desk that was off to the side and away from everyone else because I didn't want to be around them. The teacher just let me do it and didn't say anything. Later when we had a substitute something must have happened (I don't remember what) and they told me to "think about why I was sitting over there". They just assumed it was some kind of punishment when it was my choice.

This isn't a being made to sit in front thing but when I was in reform school and they noticed I was slow in changing my shoes and putting my scarf, hat, and gloves on they made me get in the front of the line all the time. New people weren't allowed to wear shoes inside and we did school in a separate building from where we lived so I had to do this 4 times a day. That was pretty awful. I was slow at tying my shoes and don't think I really started tying them until I was 14 and was 15 in reform school so I was slow at it.

Fire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2012, 6:27 pm

KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
nebrets wrote:
Perhaps the teacher thinks that you are not listening because you do not look up (this happened to me often) and you could show that to be untrue by showing your notes.

That happened to me last year in my Physical Education (Gym) theory class, where one of my class mates was talking next to me, and she told us both to move to the front- even though I was not even involved. With this teacher, I told her that I do not feel comfortable at the front and she just yelled at me and said she didn't care how I felt, in front of the whole class. After I sat down, I put my head down and I froze; I didn't move and I didn't speak. She then asked me a question related to the work we had been doing in class, and me being oblivious to what was going on around me because I was so stressed and upset, I didn't answer her question...because of this she had a conversation with me, after class to tell me that she thought I was being very rude and disrespectful.- She clearly misunderstood me, though.

I'm a teacher myself and I am on the spectrum. I'm actually getting fired next week but that is another story. I have aperger's syndrome and I can recall when I was in high school there were some teachers who learned the only way to control the classroom was to be tyrannical dicks. Becoming a teacher myself did give me a new perspective on it; classroom management is not easy.

But I'm going to print this out and show other teachers this. Yelling at kids, jumping on their asses like that, failing to listen to how they feel, its just not a good idea, especially if they are on the spectrum. I had to have a talk or two with gen ed teachers when I was an inclusion teacher doing support facilitation. I caught a history teacher who drove one of my kids to tears when he couldn't keep up with notes and didn't understand that he wasn't supposed to copy everything in the power point, only the important things. To her, he was being lazy or passive aggressive. To the student, the teacher was making him do something impossible and he was getting overwhelmed.

Fire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2012, 6:49 pm

Quote:
This is the standard authoritarianism of school. It certainly rubs me the wrong me. I mean, Aspies and authoritarianism is kind of like oil and water. And things do improve in college, although not perfect.

I agree with this. And yes, it does get better in college. The problem for gen ed teachers, is that that authoritarian style, I think is necessary for some students. There are many non-autistic students who are, there is no better way to say this, jerks. They are manipulative and need a high level of structure or they will walk over any authority figure they run across. They'll probably outgrow this phase of their lives in the long run, but to use a phrase another teacher, while they are in your class, "they will make you want to drink liquor." Part of the reason college is so much better is that these kids don't go to college, so teachers can be more relaxed and focus on the "teaching" part of teaching and not the "deal with billy's disruptive narcissistic BS" part of teaching.

Where it becomes a challenge is when you have a large class with very diverse needs. I remember being a student myself. I couldn't stand authoritarians. It's basically a hostile work environment. I had similar experiences as other people in this thread in middle school. I loved learning about the material but some teachers were so abrasive every minute of class was intolerable. I had been reduced to tears more than once by some teachers who thought I was lazy or thought I was rude. In the same class though that teacher was dealing with kids who genuinely were lazy and rude.

In high school I went to a college preparatory magnet school and say what you will about magnets, I don't think I would have survived going to a regular ed school. There, there were a lot fewer trouble makers and teachers could afford to have a more relaxed style. At the school I am working at now, which serves a socioeconomically disadvantaged community, It's just the opposite. Most of the kids need teachers who can provide the structure and demands that are missing from their home lives and as a result the few autistic kids in their classes aren't having their opposite needs recognized.

There is a middle ground but it is not the path of least resistance and its also one of those things that takes a lot of practice and experience to set up. Unfortunately some of these gen ed teachers are set in their ways, don't understand autism, or emotional handicaps beyond "that's a bad kid." and aren't willing to find a new, better way.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 6:34 pm

Fire wrote:
But I'm going to print this out and show other teachers this. Yelling at kids, jumping on their asses like that, failing to listen to how they feel, its just not a good idea, especially if they are on the spectrum.

That's a great idea!...hopefully getting other teachers to read this will make them more aware and understanding of the needs of not just kids on the spectrum, but kids with other educational needs as well. :)