Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 4:26 pm

So I tried some monkey bars today. Due to my ankle tendinitis, I'm laying off some of the lower body centric weight exercises I used to do a lot. So near my house next to a walking trail is an abandoned set of monkey bars. I decided to try them out again, as a kid I sucked at monkey bars, and as an adult I still have about the same skill level. I managed to get through the row about half way (minus the first 2 bars on each end) 5-7 times, and all the way through (minus the first 2 on one end) once. But then I had to stop because of this:

So I gotta tape it up and try again tomorrow.

It's a pretty fun upper body exercise. I hope by gaining some strength on the monkey bars, I can eventually work up to pullups and the like. I figured this way a more pragmatic kinda approach, as it'd give me some outdoor time, and a nice walk, compared to driving to the smelly gym with all the people and the like. So I definitely wanna go at it again. So yeah, if you got a set of monkey bars near you, try 'em out.

This is the set near me:

conan
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 6:52 pm

that looks like a nice location for monkey bars. i use the ones in my local park a bit, great fun

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 8:18 pm

I never could go across them by hanging from my arms. I always climbed them and crawled across the top.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 8:44 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I never could go across them by hanging from my arms. I always climbed them and crawled across the top.

The secret is getting your whole body swinging, it's very much harder if you just try to use your arm by itself to muscle yourself through.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 9:24 pm

This set doesn't look well maintained, and your hands are proof of that. First off, wear work gloves to keep your hands from being shredded again. Next, considering how rusted they are, you should actually rethink using them, as they may be rusted enough to break while using them. You could send a letter to the owner, or the town if it is on town property, asking that they be inspected for safety, and then properly maintained or replaced by new ones. This may be a problem, as most places are suffering from budget woes right now. You could offer to help raise money to fix or replace them, like with bake sales, or garage sales, etc.

My monkey bar days are decades in the past. Hope this gets taken care of soon, so you can enjoy them safely. :D

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 10:15 pm

questor wrote:
This set doesn't look well maintained, and your hands are proof of that. First off, wear work gloves to keep your hands from being shredded again. Next, considering how rusted they are, you should actually rethink using them, as they may be rusted enough to break while using them. You could send a letter to the owner, or the town if it is on town property, asking that they be inspected for safety, and then properly maintained or replaced by new ones. This may be a problem, as most places are suffering from budget woes right now. You could offer to help raise money to fix or replace them, like with bake sales, or garage sales, etc.

My monkey bar days are decades in the past. Hope this gets taken care of soon, so you can enjoy them safely. :D

I agree, they don't look very safe lol. Mostly make sure to wear gloves so you don't come away with an infection.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 10:58 pm

Maybe you should get a injection against tetanus. You're hurted your hand on rusty bars. (Rather obsessed with the idea those last days. Hope that the sensation of something stuck in my troat has nothing to do with it. :( )