Page 192 of 276 [ 4405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 276  Next

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 4:43 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Ever Oasis.

I'll sit down with it just for a minute, and then an hour or two goes by...

I just have to say, I love your signature. Coincidentally I'm wearing a Tool T-shirt right now :lol:

As for me, I'm re-playing Pokemon Moon.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 3:21 pm

Thank you.

Honestly, I was kind of depressed when I changed it... :|

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2018, 8:35 am

La Mulana 2 is making me psychotic. That said I'm surprised at how far I've gotten with relatively few hints (mostly just stuff that was poorly hinted or that I overlooked in an earlier zone and would have wasted too much time to find). I'm gonna go back to the original remake afterwards. My first go with that game it completely blindsided me with the puzzles such that by the time I knew that taking notes was absolutely essential I was wayyyy over my head

I've also been playing a Japanese copy of Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki III (aka. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III) and trying to use it to speed up my Japanese learning. It's legit helping but also it's going to take me thousands of hours to finish the game at this rate. Hell the game probably still won't be officially translated by then so w/e!

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 8:48 am

Pokemon Soulsilver, but I'm going to switch over to Persona Q and possibly try to complete my second playthrough of Persona 3-PSP.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 3:21 pm

Almajo88 wrote:
La Mulana 2 is making me psychotic. That said I'm surprised at how far I've gotten with relatively few hints...

I still haven't beaten the first game.

I know they made a lot of the puzzles easier in the remake...I was playing it for a little while, and figured out some of the things I was stumped with on the original game, so I had to go back to that one for a while.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 5:11 am

I beat Zelda II at work the other day...still can't finish the final palace without cheating (save states), but I think with a little more practice, I might stand a chance.

Not sure what game to play next...I certainly wouldn't be against replaying the GB/C games, which I just did not too long ago, and I've blazed through Link's Awakening many times...then there's a ROM hack or two of LA that I haven't played yet.

Right now I'm just playing a little GTA: Chinatown Wars, but I'm kind of itching to get back into Wizardry.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2018, 5:17 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Almajo88 wrote:
La Mulana 2 is making me psychotic. That said I'm surprised at how far I've gotten with relatively few hints...

I still haven't beaten the first game.

I know they made a lot of the puzzles easier in the remake...I was playing it for a little while, and figured out some of the things I was stumped with on the original game, so I had to go back to that one for a while.

I'm at the point now where I'm just completely stumped and any progress I make is finding out small things but realising they don't allow me much more exploration. Part of the problem is that I was too dumb to make real notes of landmarks that might be important, puzzle locations and such. PLENTY of tablets noted down though. I might go back to the first game, try to finish it properly with actual notes and maps and stuff, then restart the second game with the same approach. I'll miss some of the QoL stuff and the air control you get in 2 though.

I've never played the original and I think I'd have to finish remake and 2 before I tried it.

As for the thread, I've also been playing some Dragon Ball FighterZ. I'm not good at fighting games but when you find someone on your skill level and fight it's sick. Spending hours labbing is too psycho for me so I'll never be good but I don't really care too much!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 5:21 am

The remake is fine, but I really like the oldschool MSX graphics and music in the original game.

Making maps and taking notes would definitely help, it's really easy to get lost in those types of games. When I was little, my dad made a map of Legacy of the Wizard...I wonder if it's still around, I remember that thing being huge.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 10:57 pm

Just given up on Perfect Dark.

Been playing this on and off for the past couple of months, and it's tested my 23 year attachment to FPS games to the limit. So what's wrong with it? How about:

1. Mission objectives often far too vague - it's not clear at times how the player is supposed to carry out a task, or even what the task actually is. Don't usually consult a walkthrough, but had to do so three or four times here.

2.Rubbish story/plot. Far too complicated and downright silly. The point of no return is when one encounters a goofy, Roswell-type alien called 'Elvis' (yep). This idiot is supposed to help you in your fight against the Skedar aliens, but all he's any good at is getting killed, which means instant mission failure. At one point the US President shows up and I still haven't worked out why. He looks strangely like Obama, though the game was released eight years before he was elected.

3. Gameplay issues - weapons not very satisfying to use, no health packs (you can die after taking only three or four hits), inventory system very fiddly and includes several gimmicky gadgets which seem pointless or don't work.

I ran out of ammo several times before I could complete the final level. When I actually managed to dish out quite a hammering to the Boss alien, he simply walked off the platform he was occupying and never came back (did he go through a door, or was I hallucinating by then?). He probably thought 'Screw this!",and I'm feeling much the same about this lousy, massively overhyped game.

:evil:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 5:21 am

DeepHour wrote:
The point of no return is when one encounters a goofy, Roswell-type alien called 'Elvis' (yep).

This is about the furthest I've ever been in the game =)

I think the main draw of the game is all of the new options they added for multiplayer (especially bots). There's a mod called GoldenEye X that throws all of the old GE assets into the updated engine.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 1:52 pm

Persona Q. i'm so, so excited for Q2.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2018, 8:08 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
The remake is fine, but I really like the oldschool MSX graphics and music in the original game.

Making maps and taking notes would definitely help, it's really easy to get lost in those types of games. When I was little, my dad made a map of Legacy of the Wizard...I wonder if it's still around, I remember that thing being huge.

Oh, you don't need a map for that reason. Even if there wasn't an ingame map, the areas are unique enough that you build your own mental map without thinking. The problem is that there are so many weird little features that end up being important when the game actually gets difficult.

Replaying the first game, it actually seems easier than the second; there are three areas that are straightforward and you can beat the bosses of those areas very quickly. It's less constrained but there isn't anything as hellish as Icefire that you're going to wander in to thinking that it's the next area. The music is much better too.

I straight up think the second game has way too many traps. The original had a few but 2 has instant death traps in the first area and never lets up. At best your clue is that there are a few pixels protruding from a suspicious floor or ceiling, and there's a tablet nearby giving a vague hint of danger. Most of the time it's simply that an area is laid out in a way that suggests there might be a trap, with no hints. At one point there's a floor that will raise and crush you if you stand on it for too long, and there's nothing around to tell you this. There should be more restraint.

ANYWAY! I bought Yakuza 0 on Steam and I've been playing it for the second time. Here's my review:

I wrote:
Played this game nary two or three months ago on PS4 so I can sum up my opinion on the core game pretty easily: it's sick. Like Shenmue with heart. It has humour, is has some incredibly touching moments, and most importantly it has that juxtaposition between insane nonsense and grounded drama that's so common in Japanese media. Wandering around Kamurocho and diving into arcades, karaoke bars and dance clubs, while also uncovering strange events and problems to solve, legitimately made a mark on me that few games could. It made me long for a life in late 80s Tokyo.

My personal experience of the PC port has been very positive with the notable caveat that changing resolution anywhere but the title screen appears to crash the game. As widely reported the game is playable at 4K/60 on a GTX 1060 (6GB but it seems likely a 3GB would manage too?). Coming from the original game which struggled to maintain 60 and would tear consistently in certain areas of the city while looking jagged, this is positive. Given the recent release of Monster Hunter World on PC which barely if at all manages to double the framerate over console at the same settings, it's good to see a cheap port that is optimised so well that we can quadruple the resolution with better results than the original.

Oh, the other thing. £15 is a steal. Lots of respect to Sega for releasing this game at such a reasonable price without compromising on the port quality.

PS. Thanks to Kaldaien for providing tools to remove the AWFUL DoF effect.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 9:07 am

Almajo88 wrote:
Oh, you don't need a map for that reason. Even if there wasn't an ingame map, the areas are unique enough that you build your own mental map without thinking. The problem is that there are so many weird little features that end up being important when the game actually gets difficult.

I couldn't remember if it had an in-game map or not. It's one of the cartridges you buy, isn't it?

Just a quick map with few details and notes jotted down would still be a map =)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 1:32 pm

Just getting into Hell Revealed, which has traditionally been regarded as the toughest of all Doom 2 megawads. Reputedly, it becomes close to impossible for all but the most expert players by the halfway point, even on HMP difficulty (which is what I'm using), so I'm not necessarily expecting to finish it.

I did complete Alien Vendetta a few months ago however, and that is usually rated as being in the top difficulty bracket, but HR is probably a couple of notches higher.

Playing in GLBoom-plus, continuous.

Just got 100% kills/items/secrets on level 4, but still couldn't get the BFG, which was in some sort of well. :scratch:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 2:19 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Rubbish story/plot. Far too complicated and downright silly. The point of no return is when one encounters a goofy, Roswell-type alien called 'Elvis' (yep). This idiot is supposed to help you in your fight against the Skedar aliens, but all he's any good at is getting killed, which means instant mission failure. At one point the US President shows up and I still haven't worked out why. He looks strangely like Obama, though the game was released eight years before he was elected.

Perfectly straightforward: The pimp* that's the head of the NSA in the future is conspiring with klingon dinosaurs, one of which is hiding behind a hologram of a huge blond scandinavian man in a white trenchcoat (very inconspicious), to kidnap and replace the president of the USA with a clone who will act as their puppet. Your boss, the head of an intelligence agency, knows this because a flying laptop told him all about it, and he thought it was serious enough to warrant calling in his buddies, who also happen to be aliens. The klingon dinosaurs are doing this because the USA has knowledge of a crashed spaceship carrying ancient weapons of mass destruction belonging to a third alien race. the Klingon dinosaurs special-ordered the flying laptop so they could hack the alien nukes and use them to defeat the buddies of your boss, who also happen to be their ancient enemies or something.

*dude wears a red suit and carries a gold-plated revolver with tiger skin for the grip...

I especially like how, when you tell the president about the conspiracy and he asks you for evidence, he's apparently satisfied when you show him a disk and say that it's evidence...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 5:16 pm

Etrian Odyssey.

The first time I tried playing it, I was put off by the fact that you kind of have automap, but you still have to trace it...I think I'm okay with it now.

It's not Wizardry, but it's not bad. The DS certainly has a wealth of Wizardry clones.