Special interests, and how they make you feel

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ames76
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 May 2012, 6:01 pm

Me too. I tend to gravitate towards celebrities, and most times, it's ok. There are other times, though, that I get brought back into a couple from the past, and I have to hide it, for fear of humiliation. I've been sitting here today, focusing on one of those and I can't now, because my husband came in the house and he would never let me hear the end of it if I kept on with him here, since I'm as old as I am (almost 36), and it's a member of a boy band. :oops: I'm agitated now that I've had to stop, I was *quite* relaxed.

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Obsessions have always been my strongest autistic trait.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:33 am

Except for my current special interest (Asperger's), which is making me a bit confused and anxious (because I don't know if I've got it yet), my special interests pretty much always make me feel either happy and excited or calm and relaxed.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 1:01 am

Arithmetic, shooting and calendars calm me. You'd think that shooting would be hellish because of the noise but I get so hyper focused that I don't really hear it. Other interests stimulate me. I know I should use that to my advantage but I feel like I have no control over which interests I'm interested in at any given time, if that makes any sense.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 1:02 am

Like a fish in water.

Issit
Raven
Raven

22 Jun 2012, 9:18 am

rebbieh wrote:
Except for my current special interest (Asperger's), which is making me a bit confused and anxious (because I don't know if I've got it yet), my special interests pretty much always make me feel either happy and excited or calm and relaxed.

Exactly what I feel and what I go through now,
...and before.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:44 am

Well it depends what special interest I'm currently engaging in. If I'm reading I'm usually relaxing. If I'm listening to techno music, I usually have a lot of energy.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 1:09 pm

Both energized and calm. Special interests are the easiest way for me to overcome a bout of depression. Sometimes, though, I'm criticized for them and end up ashamed (and mad at the source of the criticism, too). As far as I'm concerned, though, they're a positive thing. It's as if my brain is functioning the way it is built to function, while when I try to avoid that sort of focus it means I'm basically shutting it down partly and using it for the wrong purpose, like trying to use a computer as a doorstop (not just a waste: a computer makes a lousy, bulky doorstop!) :D