Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 3:09 am

Do people constantly have to tell you to keep your voice down, or to speak up because they can't hear you? This happens to me all the time; others will tell me that I'm speaking too loudly or softly, when I think the volume of my voice is fine.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 3:38 am

Yes, I have sometimes been told I was talking too loud, but more as a child and teen than later on. Last September I was told on a daily basis for three weeks to speak up. I had a bad cold/flu and got laryngitis in the first few days. It lasted for weeks after the cold/flu was over. My voice box literally could not make sounds. I could only do air whispers if I tried to talk. I naturally didn't even want to try, but my father, who is in his mid 80s and hard of hearing, would call every day to check on me because I was sick and live alone. Those calls drove me absolutely nuts! How is a person whose voice box literally won't work supposed to be able to talk loud enough for a hard of hearing person to hear the conversation?! :x :roll: :lol: Because of his hearing problem, I and others are now asked to speak up on a regular basis when talking to my father. Here I've spent decades trying not to speak too loud, and now I have to speak up! AAAAAHHHHH!! !! ! :roll: :lol:

Shambles
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2012, 3:43 am

YES! I get this all the time. My voice usually increases volume when I'm conversing about my special interest, I just get really excited and hyperactive. My voice also gets high pitched when I know an answer to a question in class, sometimes I may involuntarily begin to shout. As well as this I get told that my whispering is more like shouting.

I actually have no idea how to control my voice.

zoey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2012, 4:06 am

ugh yes... I'm a mumbler. It sounds loud in my head, but people always ask me to repeat myself (which frustrates me when it happens alot) or people talk right over me because they didn't notice I was speaking. I don't talk very much because it's just too exausting to try to talk loud enough, regulate my inflection, remember the words I'm looking for, regulate my facial expressions, and try ti make eye contact. I often "lose words" just as I'm about to say them and often forget what point I was trying to make. Also sometimes my thoughts simply don't translate into speech in any way that I can make sense of. Talking sucks.

INFJ

BLESSED BE!

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 4:09 am

Yeah, I have that too, but nowadays I often have to speak up because I just don't talk loudly very often. It's just something I don't think about. That's why I often get it wrong.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 5:50 am

Yes, and I hate it. I find I'm always talking either too loudly or too quietly. The other day I shouted out, ''I need a poo'' to my mum, only to realise immediately there were two people walking nearby. Also a few weeks ago in a busy shopping centre I said something quite odd and a group of women were standing nearby and they all looked round at me at exactly the same time as if to say, ''what the f**k is she on about?'' - even though I wasn't even talking to them and that in this situation they were being rude by interferring with what I was saying to my friend, but then again I should know better how judgemental people can be so I should of said it quieter or not at all out in public. Often I get told to ''ssshhh'' too, like when I say inappropriate things loudly when the window is open or talking loudly when somebody's on the phone, etc. I find it so embarrassing after people yelling ''SSSHHHHHH!! !'' to me, especially when they say it harshly, or worse, when more than one person says it to me together, as though it is vital that I must shut up. I find that very patronizing.

And yet other times, when I am feeling shy with somebody, I tend to mumble and hesitate when to speak and people say, ''what?'' I can't win.

J4mes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2012, 6:27 am

Mumble mumble mumble... I try to up my default volume but it just feels like I'm shouting.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 6:33 am

Yeah, I have that. I tend to speak really fast and start stumbling over my words and I've heard that my voice sounds monotone.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 6:37 am

Yeah, everyone always says I talk too loudly. I rarely notice that I am, though. My mom constantly has to tell me to talk quieter.

Nash: Is there a difference?

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2012, 7:06 am

FishStickNick wrote:
Do people constantly have to tell you to keep your voice down, or to speak up because they can't hear you? This happens to me all the time; others will tell me that I'm speaking too loudly or softly, when I think the volume of my voice is fine.

I get told to speak up all of the time. My voice hurts my ears...as well as it simply requiring too much energy to "speak up". I mumble a lot too.

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2012, 7:11 am

Eh. I've given up on this one. Sometimes I realize I'm being too loud, but usually I don't, so maybe I always sometimes am. As far as being too quiet, nobody ever tells me that, so maybe I'm always too loud, or my volume is always perfect and I am merely self-critical sometimes, maybe I just imagine I'm talking and it's all purely psychic transmissions

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 7:15 am

I had this problem a long time ago, now it is a rare occasion when my voice is not right. I was always too quiet in the past.

Ecl713
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 11:56 am

Most of the time I'm asked to speak up because I speak to quietly but it feels and sounds like I'm yelling if I talk any louder. However if I'm talking about something that interests me ( special interest / obsession ) I get told to slow down or stop speaking so loud.

I used to think my parents where just hard of hearing because they always wanted me to speak louder. But last month when I read my philological evaluation the psephologist typed that I spoke every quietly and that he had a hard time hearing me.

So yes I guess it's me after all, I'm the one with the problem.

zoey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2012, 1:26 pm

zombiegirl2010 wrote:
FishStickNick wrote:

I get told to speak up all of the time. My voice hurts my ears...as well as it simply requiring too much energy to "speak up". I mumble a lot too.

^^ exactly

INFJ

BLESSED BE!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 1:36 pm

Often, I speak too loud, and I think that I speak too loud, because my speech processing is not good, and I cannot hear what other people are speaking over the background noise, so I turn up the volume on my voice to make up for not being able to hear.

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2012, 2:58 pm

I am often told to either speak up or quieten down by my wife, the more I read these forums the mnore makes sense.

Stu