Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:41 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Thanks for the link. I look forward to seeing all 3 parts. I will let you know my thoughts. I don't remember the specifics, but a poll was taken a while ago (I think among scientists) of the most significant contribution to science, and Darwin's work was voted to be first, even above Einstein's Theory of Relativity, for example.

I personally consider Darwin to be the greatest scientist of all time.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

I dunno man, Hawkins is a pretty clever dude. Darwin might have changed the world's paradigm but that was because of the nature of his theory, not necessarily because he was exceptional.

Though I do have to say, man did some solid work. That was rigor I could respect.

I think it's too early to judge Hawkins' contribution to science, as he's still alive and working. Give it time till he's gone and enough time has passed to see if his work rivals or surpasses Darwin's influence on the modern world.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 7:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

I think it's too early to judge Hawkins' contribution to science, as he's still alive and working. Give it time till he's gone and enough time has passed to see if his work rivals or surpasses Darwin's influence on the modern world.

Biology can be divided into two eras. Before Darwin and After Darwin.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 11:08 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Biology can be divided into two eras. Before Darwin and After Darwin.

ruveyn

Without a doubt.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:56 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Thanks for the link. I look forward to seeing all 3 parts. I will let you know my thoughts. I don't remember the specifics, but a poll was taken a while ago (I think among scientists) of the most significant contribution to science, and Darwin's work was voted to be first, even above Einstein's Theory of Relativity, for example.

I dunno man, Hawkins is a pretty clever dude. Darwin might have changed the world's paradigm but that was because of the nature of his theory, not necessarily because he was exceptional.

Though I do have to say, man did some solid work. That was rigor I could respect.

Darwin made a more significant change to the way we see ourselves than any other scientist.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 3:31 am

Rocky wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Darwin made a more significant change to the way we see ourselves than any other scientist.

Absolutely.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 9:57 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Steven Hawking is a smart man, though his main contribution is applying quantum field theory in curved space times in the case of black holes. So, he derived the equations for black hole thermodynamics and discovered that black holes evaporate, giving rise to the information loss paradox. There are other physicists that could be considered to be more influential than him though, such as Ed Witten.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 10:01 am

Rocky wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Rocky wrote:

While there is not yet a unified theory of physics, Dawrin's theory of evolution could in a sense be considered a unified theory of biology. Nothing in biology really makes sense without evolution.