California may ban gay teen 'conversion' therapy

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:08 pm

I wouldn't call it plastic surgery. If you are female with huge breasts it can be pretty hard and/or uncomfortable to try to hid them to pass. Plus how can you even have sex with the wrong genitals between your legs?

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:20 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Cultus_Diabolus wrote:
i dont know about state funded surgery, its basically plastic surgery, dress like and act like the opposite gender all you like, and try to change your voice with practice all you like, but plastic surgery shouldn't be funded by the government, one can argue they would feel better in a females/male body, id feel better with a 10 inch dick and a ass you can bounce a quarter off of, but i wouldn't expect the government to pay for it. and my best friend from child hood is tranny, he tells me he would consider some surgery but not for his dick.

it's not that they would feel better, it is the fact that they were born in the wrong body.

every one would most likely want a different body, i would like the body of a 7 foot tall muscle man with a large package. every one has things they want to change about there body, transsexuals generally have more things they like to change. but i don't think its justified for government or private insurance to pay the bill, if you got the cash go for it. if you don't life sucks.

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:23 pm

hanyo wrote:
I wouldn't call it plastic surgery. If you are female with huge breasts it can be pretty hard and/or uncomfortable to try to hid them to pass. Plus how can you even have sex with the wrong genitals between your legs?

first point, that's different, that's physical damage to the body. my friend has done it plenty of times.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:25 pm

Cultus_Diabolus wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Cultus_Diabolus wrote:
i dont know about state funded surgery, its basically plastic surgery, dress like and act like the opposite gender all you like, and try to change your voice with practice all you like, but plastic surgery shouldn't be funded by the government, one can argue they would feel better in a females/male body, id feel better with a 10 inch dick and a ass you can bounce a quarter off of, but i wouldn't expect the government to pay for it. and my best friend from child hood is tranny, he tells me he would consider some surgery but not for his dick.

it's not that they would feel better, it is the fact that they were born in the wrong body.

every one would most likely want a different body, i would like the body of a 7 foot tall muscle man with a large package. every one has things they want to change about there body, transsexuals generally have more things they like to change. but i don't think its justified for government or private insurance to pay the bill, if you got the cash go for it. if you don't life sucks.

no, hey don't want a different body. they have a gender and their body doesn't match.

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:43 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
Cultus_Diabolus wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Cultus_Diabolus wrote:

no, hey don't want a different body. they have a gender and their body doesn't match.

tough luck, if they want to change there body to match there gender in there brain imo they have to pay for it. people who are really short would like to be taller, people who are extremely tall cant drive most cars and on average die at a much earlier age. every single one of us could think of things they would like to change about our physical body to make us more comfortable in our skin, but its not the tax payers job to pay for it. unless its like for example, breast that are so big its causing significant spinal damage.

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2012, 1:44 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
also, i cannot believe that such therapy still exists. :cry:

I notice that you live in Canada & not the Benighted States of America.

If this becomes law in California, it would be a major step in the right direction. It can't come soon enough.

Reparative therapy has been thoroughly discredited by the medical establishment, but as we all know, people are going to believe what they want to believe, facts be damned. On another level, though, it's not really a matter of whether such therapy can ever "work" - we all know it can't. But it does reinforce the message that homosexuality is socially unacceptable. It can convince at least a few gay people that their sexuality is shameful & must be repressed if it can't be changed. Also, it helps to keep the public convinced that homosexuality is a choice & not an innate characteristic, & thus to support the argument that LGBTs don't deserve protection against discrimination & don't deserve to have their love relationships recognized or sanctified. Such therapy still exists, then, because it remains a useful tool in the fight against LGBT equality.

On this last point, it's been pretty successful. In spite of all the social changes we've witnessed over the last few years, the laws haven't changed much. Under federal law, which in the U.S. is where it counts, LGBTs still have no protection against discrimination in the workplace, housing or public accommodations. LGBT unions still have no recognition under federal law, even in those placed where same-sex marriage is legal. And all the gains that we have made in recent years, such as the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell", will be wiped out if the Republicans come back to power. There is still so much work to do, yet too many of us have prematurely declared victory.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:45 pm

Cultus_Diabolus you keep mixing up gender dysphoria with simply wanting something. i think perhaps you're not familiar with what the people actually experience.

do you think that someone who got their face shot off (but they are not medically affected by it) should have to pay for their own surgery to correct that?

Last edited by hyperlexian on 09 May 2012, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:46 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
you keep mixing up gender dysphoria with simply wanting something. i think perhaps you're not familiar with what the people actually experience
one of my best friends since i was 9 years old is transsexual.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:51 pm

Cultus_Diabolus wrote:
hanyo wrote:

first point, that's different, that's physical damage to the body. my friend has done it plenty of times.

What physical damage to the body? I'm just saying some people have parts that make it very hard to pass.

Having the wrong genitals can really ruin your sex life. Depending on your physical gender and your orientation it can really mess up your sex life having the wrong parts.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 1:53 pm

Cultus_Diabolus wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
you keep mixing up gender dysphoria with simply wanting something. i think perhaps you're not familiar with what the people actually experience
one of my best friends since i was 9 years old is transsexual.

i added more to my post. and your friend being transsexual does not mean they have gender dysphoria. it is an actual psychological condition.

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 2:01 pm

thats a good point, you made, about being shot in the face, but the difference is he/she was shot in the face. and fixing the nose and mouth areas of your face is more than just cosmetics, you need to breath and eat.

reality is i really don't care enough to fight against it if it was made legal, if the usa stop going to war with brown people ever 10 years give or take a few and spending over half its budget on military, we could afford to give those people luxurys, so ill just change my mind and say go for it, usa can have sex changes when we pull our governments head out of its ass.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 2:20 pm

good.