Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 43 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2022, 1:15 pm

Anyone try this?

https://nanowrimo.org/

DunaDuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2022, 2:08 pm

Fenn wrote:
Anyone try this?

https://nanowrimo.org/

I did. It's mostly an ego-trip where you write as much words / chapters/ paragraphs as you can. Very little interaction, no regard to quality of structure, plot, language, and very much like a competition.

But I know people who swear by it.
So best thing is to just see for yourself.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 5:19 am

Now in paperback!

https://www.amazon.com/Six-Times-Terror ... 141&sr=1-1

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 2:04 pm

...I am so not going to read this thing through, especially since the topic started well over ten years ago, but I still came to add my two cents about writing social interaction.

I've been writing fanfiction and publishing it in the internet since around the time this topic was created, and while I've gotten a decent amount of feedback over the years, both praising and criticizing, for one reason or the other, the social interactions I write have never been the targets of the criticism. Weird, especially considering the age I started, but I have theories on why this is:

1. Most of my readers were back when I was a kid were probably kids themselves, and while they probably had better social skills than mine, they were still kids and weren't yet developed enough to look at social situations in fiction with such critical eye.

2. Later on, when I started to have older readers, many got bored by how bad my works were fast and didn't bother to comment on it, and those who stuck around were the ones who found something they liked in my stories.

3. My stories are so bad that there is too much to criticize and people focus on the faults that are even bigger. The lack of describing the surroundings is something I get to hear a lot about.

4. Everyone can see how bad it is, but even those who comment on my stories critically don't have the heart to point it out. :lol:

5. And the unlikely theory: I'm actually good at writing social interactions and that's why nobody complains about it.

At the moment I'm trying to write a novel, an actual story of my own that naturally has social interaction but, well, my two main characters are autistic! That's how I dodge the rules about cues; my girls are allowed to be awkward! :lol:

...I just hope that possible publishers will get it.

Tessadiamonds21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2022, 1:08 pm

I am a ferm believer in no matter your condition or diagnosis you can do anything. I myself have write stories, mainly short stories for family and friends, mine were romance stories or stories of people standing up for someone who needs it. So to answer your question I believe yes you are able to write and no it doesn't matter about the conditions.

P.s a good read ( although not scientific) I recommend 2 books about people with Aspergers syndrome.

1. A bird will soar

2. The Rosie project series

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 7:07 pm

The_Wolf wrote:
I am currently working on a historical fiction saga that follows a family throughout the American Civil War as they fight for both the Confederacy and the Union.

Sounds interesting. Do you have any updates regarding this project? :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2023, 8:20 pm

Hi again everyone,

In your opinion, does this description come off as "Kafkaesque" or like Edgar Allen Poe?

I wrote my psychological thriller Pieces of Truth originally as a film script, but have begun
converting it to a short story.

Pieces of Truth

Genre: Thriller

Description: Alice and her childhood crush Brian drift apart after witnessing the brutal murder of two classmates. Twenty years later, they unexpectedly reunite in college only to have their renewed romance interrupted when they both (emphasis on the word "both") begin receiving bizarre messages from two people claiming to be their murdered friends from their childhood.

Are their friends still alive and out for revenge?
Is someone pulling a cruel joke on the long-lost lovers who have found each other after so long?
Or is someone or something else causing their mindsets to change?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 4:52 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Hi again everyone,

In your opinion, does this description come off as "Kafkaesque" or like Edgar Allen Poe?

I wrote my psychological thriller Pieces of Truth originally as a film script, but have begun
converting it to a short story.

Pieces of Truth

Genre: Thriller

Description: Alice and her childhood crush Brian drift apart after witnessing the brutal murder of two classmates. Twenty years later, they unexpectedly reunite in college only to have their renewed romance interrupted when they both (emphasis on the word "both") begin receiving bizarre messages from two people claiming to be their murdered friends from their childhood.

Are their friends still alive and out for revenge?
Is someone pulling a cruel joke on the long-lost lovers who have found each other after so long?
Or is someone or something else causing their mindsets to change?

I'd personally think it's closer to Poe. But that's just my take.

QuietOne1989
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2023, 1:58 pm

Hello,

I started writing when I was 13/14 after I lost someone close to me. I just sat at the computer and typed (I used to have a lot of free time at school due to being horrendously bullied). The first thing I ever wrote was a fanfic/crossover type thingy between the film Bring It On and a popular drama which was based on a women's prison called Bad Girls.

It was HORRENDOUS! :lol:

Since then I've dabbled in different genres - YA, romance and crime fiction to name a few. Never shown any of them to anyone because I am a scaredy cat and fear criticism (which I know is bad because to write you have to hear people's thoughts but it scares me silly)

I also feel inferior - like I'm not good enough or write as well as others.

For the past ten years I have been working on high fantasy novel. It has snowballed over the years and now I'm lost. It has a heavy involvement of Greek Mythology as the premise revolves around Pandora's Box and the task of reversing the evils that were released. That's what I worked out from my previous drafts anyway.

I haven't written anything in a while as this idea will not be leave me alone but nor can I formulate a credible story/outline. I have well-rounded characters aided by the help of archetypes and the Myers-Briggs Personality Systems. I have many locations to place them. They're living rent free in my head currently.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 2:17 pm

can I post a google doc link to the book I'm working on? I would like feedback from someone who has time to read 90k+ words. Here is the hypothetical back cover description for The Rhombus Eye:

When does fiction become reality?

Zachary Penske was just a boy when an alien warlord sent him through time to the modern day from 1700's Spain, simply for personal amusement. After Zachary grew up, he decided on becoming a superhero, collecting artifacts from the alien tampering with Earth that coalesced into an item with limitless power: The Rhombus Eye. What followed began as a story of revenge, but soon evolved into an adventure spanning space, time, the multiverse, and beyond as Zachary tried to find out the true nature of his world. For fans of metafiction, sci-fi, and magic realism, this unique story questions what reality, humanity, and imagination really are.

would anyone be interested?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 5:54 pm

Readydaer wrote:
can I post a google doc link to the book I'm working on? I would like feedback from someone who has time to read 90k+ words. Here is the hypothetical back cover description for The Rhombus Eye:

When does fiction become reality?

Zachary Penske was just a boy when an alien warlord sent him through time to the modern day from 1700's Spain, simply for personal amusement. After Zachary grew up, he decided on becoming a superhero, collecting artifacts from the alien tampering with Earth that coalesced into an item with limitless power: The Rhombus Eye. What followed began as a story of revenge, but soon evolved into an adventure spanning space, time, the multiverse, and beyond as Zachary tried to find out the true nature of his world. For fans of metafiction, sci-fi, and magic realism, this unique story questions what reality, humanity, and imagination really are.

would anyone be interested?

Sounds interesting to me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 5:55 pm

QuietOne1989 wrote:
Hello,

I started writing when I was 13/14 after I lost someone close to me. I just sat at the computer and typed (I used to have a lot of free time at school due to being horrendously bullied). The first thing I ever wrote was a fanfic/crossover type thingy between the film Bring It On and a popular drama which was based on a women's prison called Bad Girls.

Since then I've dabbled in different genres - YA, romance and crime fiction to name a few. Never shown any of them to anyone because I am a scaredy cat and fear criticism (which I know is bad because to write you have to hear people's thoughts but it scares me silly)

For the past ten years I have been working on high fantasy novel. It has snowballed over the years and now I'm lost. It has a heavy involvement of Greek Mythology as the premise revolves around Pandora's Box and the task of reversing the evils that were released. That's what I worked out from my previous drafts anyway.

I haven't written anything in a while as this idea will not be leave me alone but nor can I formulate a credible story/outline. I have well-rounded characters aided by the help of archetypes and the Myers-Briggs Personality Systems. I have many locations to place them. They're living rent free in my head currently.

There's always self publishing on Amazon, which many of here on WP have used.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 6:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Sounds interesting to me.

very well. here it is:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QUo ... -ffLKXL28U

as I said it is a work in progress but I'd say I am 80-85% done. Hope you all enjoy

QuietOne1989
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2023, 6:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
QuietOne1989 wrote:
Hello,

There's always self publishing on Amazon, which many of here on WP have used.

Self-publishing with Amazon has been my goal for the last few years. However, I can't publish a story that has no value or promise.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 4:03 pm

I have written about 70 pages of my comedy/drama (or "dramedy" for short) script called
The Dolphin and am hoping to get it to 90-100 pages by the end of this month or the beginning of next
month in time for Autism Awareness & Acceptance Month.

After, I will try to get back to writing a sci-fi/fantasy story involving a near-future where every single part of the US (including a much larger Washington DC) has one theme park in it.

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2023, 4:16 pm

I've been writing books for a bit now. I'm always terrified to share them. I publish on DriveThruFiction and on itch.io, I stick to the sci-fi genre but I have a weird fascination with science based sword and sorcery. There is no actual sorcery, it's all science and tech but there are swords.

My first was a novella called Everything is Light. The title was initially based on one character's declaration, but then it became the literal plot.

I've been working on a series of short novels that revolve around a family and the artificial worlds they live in. The first book is called Glyph, and so the whole series is named after that. I didn't intend it to be a series but people kept asking me to keep the story going. Now all the characters are traumatized and the worlds are about to end (again actually). The second book is called Hegira and the third is Progenitor. I have to at least write one more to resolve the story.

I wrote a self help book for myself (it's self help).