Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 44 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2023, 7:23 am

I am a writer, but I have always had a problem that limits me: I write in English, which is a second language. And that's why I kind of gave up. Sometimes I write as a hobby, but I haven't taken it seriously in years.

Emmett
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2023, 3:26 pm

rpcarnell wrote:
I am a writer, but I have always had a problem that limits me: I write in English, which is a second language. And that's why I kind of gave up. Sometimes I write as a hobby, but I haven't taken it seriously in years.

Is there a reason you don't write in your 1st language? It may have a smaller demographic audience overall, but that really could be more of a strength. It's really hard to get an audience in English since the market is so swamped. Having a different demographic might make you more valuable in the eyes of that language group.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2023, 7:32 am

I hadn't though of that. The English market is swamped indeed. I'll continue writing in English, but if things keep going wrong, I may switch to Spanish.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 8:55 am

rpcarnell wrote:
I hadn't though of that. The English market is swamped indeed. I'll continue writing in English, but if things keep going wrong, I may switch to Spanish.

some of the best books have been written in spanish!

El Aleph y Otros Cuentos, Niebla, and El Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quixote de la Mancha just to name a few!

EternityDreamers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2023, 1:48 pm

hyperbolic wrote:
I have written some science fiction stories before, ranging from short stories to attempts at a novel. Once, I left a couple of my stories on a table in my dorm commons room to see if anyone would say something to me about them. No one did respond, so I can either believe no one read them or believe that they were terrible and those who may have read them didn't want to tell me that. Though school, work, and even my hours spent daily on WP have deterred me from starting any new writings of purely self-interest (except for one, a fictional treatise on the history of an mid-Atlantic island nation), I have considered that in the future, after I finish my computer science Bachelor's degree, I might write science fiction as a career. I would want to "test the waters" before jumping into science fiction writing, of course. One of my concerns about going into writing as a career, that is, with the intent to make money off of stories that are popular, is the fact that in most cases individuals with Asperger's Syndrome have difficulty in social interaction and, although it is by no means a requirement of social interaction that there be social interaction between or among any of the human characters, in much of the popular fiction today by such authors as John Gresham, David Brown, Nora Roberts, Stephen King, especially, and etc., it does play a very important role.

A question I have for you all is do you think that someone with Asperger's Syndrome can become a successful author even with his difficulties in social interaction, which may be reflected in his writing, especially in the dialogue?

Another question: Does anyone know of any successful writers who have or have been suspected to have Asperger's Syndrome?

EDIT: clarity

Mind if i see some of them, or if you could PM me? Im all interested, I write silly Touhou/Anime fanfiction/parodies (Akin to SS9J or stoodie.

(i don't have swearing in them.)

Video links to both channels, (Swearing is in them so tread carefully)
https://youtu.be/lG3PRGSE1Dw - SSJ
https://youtu.be/eA-161NfdSk - Stoodie

Also am writing an anime currently.

HarmonyC
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2023, 4:12 pm

hyperbolic wrote:
I have written some science fiction stories before, ranging from short stories to attempts at a novel. Once, I left a couple of my stories on a table in my dorm commons room to see if anyone would say something to me about them. No one did respond, so I can either believe no one read them or believe that they were terrible and those who may have read them didn't want to tell me that. Though school, work, and even my hours spent daily on WP have deterred me from starting any new writings of purely self-interest (except for one, a fictional treatise on the history of an mid-Atlantic island nation), I have considered that in the future, after I finish my computer science Bachelor's degree, I might write science fiction as a career. I would want to "test the waters" before jumping into science fiction writing, of course. One of my concerns about going into writing as a career, that is, with the intent to make money off of stories that are popular, is the fact that in most cases individuals with Asperger's Syndrome have difficulty in social interaction and, although it is by no means a requirement of social interaction that there be social interaction between or among any of the human characters, in much of the popular fiction today by such authors as John Gresham, David Brown, Nora Roberts, Stephen King, especially, and etc., it does play a very important role.

A question I have for you all is do you think that someone with Asperger's Syndrome can become a successful author even with his difficulties in social interaction, which may be reflected in his writing, especially in the dialogue?

Another question: Does anyone know of any successful writers who have or have been suspected to have Asperger's Syndrome?

EDIT: clarity

So personally I would have your main character be like you in your Asperger’s, and just ask a friend or one of the Neurotypical parents on here for a beta read if you are worried about it. Personally I’m not and for my book am just going to do my best and if NT’s don’t like it, then they don’t like it, and I don’t really care. I’m sick of second guessing myself and there will be other neurodivergents who get it, so I don’t really care if it’s good enough for the NT’s when it comes to dialogue.

HarmonyC
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2023, 4:14 pm

Would you read this? Main character is Asperger’s like me, but it’s only mentioned occasionally. “Laura Photia Hayes is an independent young woman on the streets after her mother dies. After being attacked by a monster straight out of Greek Mythology, she meets a woman called Ophelia who heals her injuries and tells her about a society ruled by the Roman Gods, a safe place for people like her. Pretending to be Ophelia’s illegitimate daughter brings its own difficulties as she goes into her freshman year at the New Rome High School. Facing judgemental Legacies, the descendants of the Gods, and standoffish magic users, she struggles to find her place among them. Now she must juggle searching for answers about who she really is with not raising others' suspicions. Who can she trust? Who will she trust? And in the end, will she choose the truth about her family or the family she has found?”

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 5:46 pm

Title: "The Exams"

Genre: Horror

Plot:
Three men and three women are trapped in an empty school building. The only way they can escape is through three exams, one for physical, one for intellect and one for emotional well-being. However, the person who gets the highest total on all three combined will be allowed to leave but under one condition, the condition being to not talk about it for the remainder of his or her days. The others will be treated like prisoners for an extra year before being given a second chance.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 6:09 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Title: "The Exams"

Genre: Horror

Plot:
Three men and three women are trapped in an empty school building. The only way they can escape is through three exams, one for physical, one for intellect and one for emotional well-being. However, the person who gets the highest total on all three combined will be allowed to leave but under one condition, the condition being to not talk about it for the remainder of his or her days. The others will be treated like prisoners for an extra year before being given a second chance.

After writing about this on a Facebook page for writers and getting some feedback, I have decided to change the genre to a psychological thriller. I have written 26 pages so far and am hoping to get to 90 pages before I return to college on September 25th.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 11:47 pm

I just put book number six on Kindle. Soon to be in paperback:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKKLPTYR

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 3:25 pm

I've found text-based roleplaying can help get me more comfortable with writing social interaction. I'm a member of a science fiction / fantasy forum where a certain amount of this goes on. It's mostly silly and lightweight, but I've been in a couple of "campaigns" that were more high-quality.

Some of us have taken to introducing not just minor NPCs, but side-kicks and other recurring secondary characters, which makes it possible to script an entire conversation as an entry. I also ended up doing a collaborative Halloween story with a more experienced writer one year. It's a blast, but it also stretches me to get the "voices" of the different characters right. Wonder if trying something like that on here would work?

Fenn wrote:
Anyone try this?

https://nanowrimo.org/

It's getting to the time of year again when I think "Why don't and I try NaNoWriMo?" and then my life falls apart like a wet paper bag shortly before November 1.

I do the music equivalent, February Album Writing Month, most years. it has a fantastic community. Get the impression that NaNoWriMo isn't quite the same. For a start, you don't get to read each other's work - all you can see is a number, hopefully going upwards.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2023, 5:33 pm

Have you thought about something like writing for games? Your more logical way of thinking would be really useful when it comes to planning quest chains for something like an RPG. Breaking up an extended game story into multiple branches and working out which character the player has to talk to, at which stage, to get which information, to take them to which location, etc tends to be the difficult bit for NT writers that I've worked with. You can get AI to write interesting dialogue, but the logic required for planning quests within the overall context of the game is something AI can't do well (if at all). Yet game developers who are good with logic tend to gravitate towards programming instead of writing. So you may find you are a perfect fit for that type of role as a writer.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 1:32 pm

Esme wrote:
Have you thought about something like writing for games? Your more logical way of thinking would be really useful when it comes to planning quest chains for something like an RPG. Breaking up an extended game story into multiple branches and working out which character the player has to talk to, at which stage, to get which information, to take them to which location, etc tends to be the difficult bit for NT writers that I've worked with. You can get AI to write interesting dialogue, but the logic required for planning quests within the overall context of the game is something AI can't do well (if at all). Yet game developers who are good with logic tend to gravitate towards programming instead of writing. So you may find you are a perfect fit for that type of role as a writer.

That's an interesting thought! TV and film scriptwriting seems to favour "emotional beats" over logical plotting. So often I'm sat there going, "Yes, that's very moving, but it doesn't work." Harder to get away with that in a game.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 7:02 am

hyperbolic wrote:

Second question: I don't know.

First: I hope so, although yeah my writing so far gets next to no attention as of yet. I'm sure if they had enough support, and at least good cover art, copy, and marketing, then they could at least make sales since most people who buy books only buy the cover. -_- Would be nice to be better at writing dialogue, and my editor says I need to work on description as well, but it's the outside that seems to matter most for most.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 12:48 am

Finally, after having published Six Times The Terror a year ago, I've finally gotten it on audio, thanks to a marvelous narrator by the name of Johnny Walker (no, really, that's his real name!).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CR4DHF91/re ... 128&sr=1-3

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 10:05 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Finally, after having published Six Times The Terror a year ago, I've finally gotten it on audio, thanks to a marvelous narrator by the name of Johnny Walker (no, really, that's his real name!).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CR4DHF91/re ... 128&sr=1-3

Your narrator has the perfect voice for this!

I was thinking that most of the narrators would be from either India or the Philippines--like the majority of call center employees.