Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 37 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 45  Next

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 6:41 pm

I'm not a big fantasy fan but I like the family dynamics here. I could imagine all the characters from the dialogue which means it's nicely distinctive per person.

Is anyone else feeling like this time of year it's impossible to write, or even read? I keep getting distracted by movies and social time and shopping and other things like this. I am writing but just at slow speed.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 9:01 pm

TUF wrote:
I'm not a big fantasy fan but I like the family dynamics here. I could imagine all the characters from the dialogue which means it's nicely distinctive per person.

Is anyone else feeling like this time of year it's impossible to write, or even read? I keep getting distracted by movies and social time and shopping and other things like this. I am writing but just at slow speed.

I'm very probably going to take the next few days off to celebrate the Holiday.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 2:54 am

I'll carry on with my ms this morning and Xmas morning (till 11)because I've just got back into a rhythm, but on

Boxing Day (best day of the year) I'm going to take a day off my ms and outline something totally different,

maybe contemporary. And eat, of course, and eat, and eat, and eat :D

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2018, 4:29 am

I've realised something. The reason why this poem is taking so long is because it's 10 separate poems (it's a sequence) joined together and I have to do each bit at a time which means my 8 drafts which is all I've managed to do since last Monday is actually the equivalent of 80 of my usual drafts.
Makes me feel a lot better. I'm still getting 10 drafts a day done.
Besides, poetry isn't a race.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2018, 4:31 am

TUF wrote:
I've realised something. The reason why this poem is taking so long is because it's 10 separate poems (it's a sequence) joined together and I have to do each bit at a time which means my 8 drafts which is all I've managed to do since last Monday is actually the equivalent of 80 of my usual drafts.

No kind of art is a race.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 8:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
TUF wrote:

I think racing through art is bad for art but I completed Milwordy this year and that is like a race as you have to write a million words in a single year. It's fun as well. But the writing I produced from it was bad and not edited properly.
However, I did inktober and because I'm not used to spending days on visual art, that felt the right pace. An ink drawing per day. I did mine in a5.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 4:16 pm

TUF wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TUF wrote:

I think racing through art is bad for art but I completed Milwordy this year and that is like a race as you have to write a million words in a single year. It's fun as well. But the writing I produced from it was bad and not edited properly.
However, I did inktober and because I'm not used to spending days on visual art, that felt the right pace. An ink drawing per day. I did mine in a5.

8)

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 8:33 am

I got my first flash fiction published.
Mum says I'm 'branching out'.
It doesn't feel like I am though. The same skills are required. Focus on every word.
What I find hard is short stories where attention to detail is less important than attention to the broader scope.

Get this for weird. The story has followed me around since I was 11. Before I started secondary school. (I started when I was 12 because I was socially inept, although I was smarter than my peers).
The story just needed structure. I entered it into a contest.

It doesn't feel like winning the contest is all that special though. They want 1237 people to win. So, it doesn't feel like my last one where only 6 people won.

http://bamwrites.blogspot.com/2018/07/4 ... ology.html

People on here might find it interesting to enter. It calls for a very aspie style brain I think. Has to be 42 words. Not 41 or 43.

I'm writing in shorter paragraphs cos someone on here said that was clearer to read. I'm scared that I can't write prose. I know I can write poetry because I've got quite a few publications under my belt now.
But prose is the number 2 (not like that lol) way people talk to each other. So it's important to be able to do it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 12:16 pm

TUF wrote:
I got my first flash fiction published.
Mum says I'm 'branching out'.
It doesn't feel like I am though. The same skills are required. Focus on every word.
What I find hard is short stories where attention to detail is less important than attention to the broader scope.

Get this for weird. The story has followed me around since I was 11. Before I started secondary school. (I started when I was 12 because I was socially inept, although I was smarter than my peers).
The story just needed structure. I entered it into a contest.

It doesn't feel like winning the contest is all that special though. They want 1237 people to win. So, it doesn't feel like my last one where only 6 people won.

http://bamwrites.blogspot.com/2018/07/4 ... ology.html

People on here might find it interesting to enter. It calls for a very aspie style brain I think. Has to be 42 words. Not 41 or 43.

I'm writing in shorter paragraphs cos someone on here said that was clearer to read. I'm scared that I can't write prose. I know I can write poetry because I've got quite a few publications under my belt now.
But prose is the number 2 (not like that lol) way people talk to each other. So it's important to be able to do it.

I'm just the exact opposite: my specialty is writing fiction, but my poetry always comes out as prosey, with no music or rhythm.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 6:36 pm

That makes sense. It's good fun to try things anyway. I try writing prose 1 because that's what online forums are/what emails are/what texts are, 2 because my articles are alright and earn money sometimes and 3 because story writing is fun.
But I have a lyrical brain which can't do story telling properly. I can't think of proper middles and endings to the story ideas I have.
And I'm too much of a pedant to edit 1500 words and think them all good enough to send out once I'm done.
The flash fiction I wrote was 42 words long. Not much different to a poem really.
I was going to say not all my poems are musical but I suppose they are in that it matters how they sound, even the free verse. In fact, I spend longer on how the free verse sounds than on how the formal poems sound because there's so much freedom there, no set formula to help me out.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2018, 9:10 pm

TUF wrote:
That makes sense. It's good fun to try things anyway. I try writing prose 1 because that's what online forums are/what emails are/what texts are, 2 because my articles are alright and earn money sometimes and 3 because story writing is fun.
But I have a lyrical brain which can't do story telling properly. I can't think of proper middles and endings to the story ideas I have.
And I'm too much of a pedant to edit 1500 words and think them all good enough to send out once I'm done.
The flash fiction I wrote was 42 words long. Not much different to a poem really.
I was going to say not all my poems are musical but I suppose they are in that it matters how they sound, even the free verse. In fact, I spend longer on how the free verse sounds than on how the formal poems sound because there's so much freedom there, no set formula to help me out.

Just about the only style of poetry I've attempted has been free verse.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 7:45 am

It's not the eighteenth century so the social need to write poetry isn't there. So take this advice as simply my advising someone who wants to write poetry.

If you're looking to avoid it sounding like prose and longing for musicality, forms are the place to start first. Then after a while, you can use what you learned in formal poetry and translate some of that over into free verse.

The danger of formal poetry is a lot of people who attempt poetry try to write rhyming couplets (in the 21st century, these are primarily used in jingles and comedic verse so if the attempt is to make any sort of point of substance, it doesn't work, great for comedy though) or to write as if it's still the 16th-19th century, using either sentence structures or words that nobody actually uses anymore. This comes out sounding unnatural.

When I started to write, I wrote as if it was the 19th century but I've learned over the decade or so I've been writing to do both poetic sounding free-verse and formal poetry that sounds as if it came out of the 21st century.

I think prose is something I will need to master. Not in terms of story writing or article writing but how to write online so that people understand me. Someone on here was complaining that my paragraphs are too long to be read on the screen.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 5:38 am

Sorry to hog but I finally finished the sequence :D It took 3 weeks.
I think this is partly because it's sequential - technically I wrote 130 drafts in all. And partly because of the holidays.
And it's taught me I need to quit worrying so much about producing a poem every two days. As long as I'm writing every day.
And once again, a Christmas themed poem was produced by me over Christmas...

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 3:05 pm

^Well done.

I write poems at a rate of about two a year with long periods in between and then one or two and then another

long gap.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 7:37 am

Submitting for the first time since last year.

I was all smug about how being a writer I don't have to have a back to school day like mum does. (She's a teacher hence back to school but back to work in other jobs is just as bad, I've got experience of that).

This feels like it. All the admin starting up again.

It's not that I hate it like working with other people (if I did I'd never submit) but it does feel more like work than the drafting process does.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran