An interesting introduction with an interesting story!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Niez228
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2012, 11:47 pm

Hello everyone, after years of coming to this site every once in awhile I finally decided to make an account and join everyone. All of you seem very respectful when people have posted things that others would take offense or get very creeped out. Lets just say I used to have AS but am not quite sure if I do still. As the subject says I have an interesting story to share with you all,

When I was 3 years old a team of doctors told my parents that I was developmentally disabled. My mom apparently sweared at them while my dad was a bit more interested this was all they told me as my mom refuses to talk about it and my dad gets a little to sentimental. As a result of my parents response my mom and step-dad raised me as a normal child. I was enrolled in a special preschool but was removed when the administrators saw no need and at my parents request. I grew up as a normal child living on a culdesac in a suburban town and was raised being told that I was normal however I had outbursts in class and did strange things. As long as I recall I've never taken any medication with the exception of zoloft 11 years ago (and thats was only 5 months) for depression or any other psychosocial "disorder." Still to this day I never have but it was in consideration a few times. I was raised being told that living off the government and taking meds for seemingly benign problems was pathetic. My 5th grade year was the only school year where I had no outbursts and had no problems with anybody else. As with anyone else middle school was bad and to get interesting, mid way through middle school I developed my first crush and with the way I handled it and thought about it for years afterwards it would make a pretty good story.

When I was 13 I moved out of my culdesac and into a small town but to the south has a huge suburban town right next door so it was more of a pseudo-country town. High school was not as bad as it seemed at the time due to me being raised as if nothing was wrong with me making friends came kinda easy and I even got seem attention from girls. However at the time I thought so much on what I was capable of and what other people thought of me that I never noticed the attention I actually got from people. Senior year people who I thought were friends decided to go around the school telling rumors while at the same time a girl I was gonna ask to homecoming then said her own rumors. Because I cared to much what people thought I decided to get even and after high school was over became hostile towards not just those people but to everyone. As a result only a couple of people from high school still speak to me to this day and I wish I could have left it alone and kept my mouth shut...

During my senior year one of the only friends I had introduced me to his church which was run by his cousins family. His other cousin has Asperger's and Tourette's and who I thought behaved in strange ways. Then I noticed that I behaved in similar ways that he did and its how I knew I had Asperger's. As I got to know these people I noticed that my friends cousin was being treated as an inferior and as a pushover by the son of the pastor of the church I went to and even his dad and mom was treating him the same in a very subtle way. As a result he stopped communicating with them and when he did slowly but surely I became the new inferior-pushover. Instead of letting them I backed my self up and over time new friends I made helped me out which in turn boosted my confidence. Because of that church I now go to a new one that is very supportive and have made friends further south of me who are also very supportive.

I managed to overcome depression and desperation without any medication. Growing up being told that nothing was wrong with me I've learned how to talk to girls and have had sexual encounters but am a virgin by choice even though I've only had the choice 4 times. I've also made several circle of friends that are all supportive. The problem is each circle says I'm socially awkward and do certain things that irritate others some are benign like fiddling with a pencil while some do need to be fixed like eating loud. I've even been told I'm pushy and can be extremely rude when not realizing it. I may have gotten attention from girls like I've said before but I've also scared away just as many by just being me. Due to the group of people I mentioned in the last paragraph the name asperger's is repugnant and I can't stand hearing it since they used to get me and the other guy to compete over dumb things cause it made them feel good that there were other people around who were "screwed up." It made me want to "cure" myself and so I learned how to talk to people and be social that when I tell people they don't believe me and can't see it.

So now I'm wondering if I have asergers or not or if I did and those doctors were right but with the way I was raised and self-motivation I'm an NT?

Please don't think I dislike people with aspergers I meet a cool one in college who had a gf and after being on here it radically changed my view to a very positive one!

So this post is meant to be a simple hello but I figured I had an interesting situation that some of you could help out with since your all supportive and understanding. If I do get complaints I'll repost it somewhere else.

I greatly appreciate your time in reading all this I wanted to explain where am at and if I'm an NT or I'm one of the many people on this website.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:07 am

Welcome, niez228! In a sense we're kinda misfits here on WP, not judges. We accept you, we accept you, one of us, one of us. That was a pretty long intro. Feel free to take some of those aspie quizzes on the internet or even see a psychologist who specializes in Asperger's for a more definite answer. Again, welcome.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 5:15 am

Hi Niez228! Welcome to Wrong Planet! You are among friends here at WP! Take some of the online tests to see how you rate on the Aspie scale. If you have it, there is no cure, but some of us are able to "pass" as normal, to some extent by learning how to act more like normal people. Many others, myself included, are not able to fully pass as normal.

I am glad that you are managing well. I hope you like WP! I certainly do! :D

Niez228
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2012, 8:11 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to take this down it was a ridiculously long intro that annoyed people rather then caught interest. That's what happens when you talk about yourself though I guess... nice meeting you all...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 3:17 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 9:20 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage