Expressive and Receptive Delays in Speech

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MomofThree1975
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2012, 6:26 pm

Thanks so much for your response. I am going to try your recommendations over the next few weeks and see which ones work for him. I think this will have to be trial and error. Since it takes time for him to understand the rules about limiting his snacks, how long should I try each approach before moving on to the next?

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:40 pm

You are right, it will take time. That is one of the challenges. Sometimes you have to really stick with something before you see any changes. Good luck!

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 3:04 am

Will he eat any snacks healthier than cookies? I know that is not a complete solution, but maybe you can get him to accept grapes or something sweet, but healthier instead. Or you might have to match texture, too. I don't know. There are probably recipes for cookies with less fat and something nutritious like carrot in them, and with less sugar.

When my son learned about cookies, we had to make him understand it was an occasional thing, and would persistently offer other things when he would meltdown about not being able to have them when he wanted. Eventually, he realized we weren't going to cave, and he accepted alternates.

MomofThree1975
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2012, 3:13 pm

He has a sweet tooth. He likes yogurt, grapes, chips, sliced cheese etc but cookies by far his favorites. I don't think it's the texture as much as it is the sweetness. We buy the 100 calorie bags of cookies so at least he is not eating as much sugar, but when he want's cookies and you offer him something else, he may take a bite or 2 out of what you offer him, and then he is back to wanting the cookies. It is in a bin high in the pantry so he cannot reach it himself, but he still tries. I don't want him to be the kid who NEVER has cookies, I just want to teach him moderation.

For the past couple days it's been warm and so we have kept him fairly active so he seems to have forgotten about his cookies. He seems to be very thirsty so he has been drinking a lot of water or diluted juice. Also, the excercise seemed to have helped his mood, he's not doing his visually stimming as much and is just mellower. I think I am going to have to keep this child tired to keep him happy. :lol: