What are the most obscure movies you have watched recently?

Page 7 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

diagnosedafter50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2021, 7:37 pm

Eraserhead, dunno why but I loved it.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2021, 4:44 pm

An animated film called Where The Dead Go To Die.

It's a horror film and it was made almost entirely by one guy. It's... not great. It's weird, ugly and extreme. Like a death-metal LSD trip nightmare. It's messed up to the point of being funny at times, but becomes more and more genuinely disturbing as it goes along. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it, I love it but you need to be a certain kind of person to enjoy it.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2021, 3:47 pm

I'm no fan of watching films, but I've read about a horror film called Await Further Instructions recently. Upon first reading a summary, it deeply unsettled me.

Basically, a black wire entity covers an entire house perimeter in itself, giving a dysfunctional family increasingly unsettling instructions (from things like 'there's a pathogen in the food, throw it away' to 'one of you has the pathogen' to 'one of you is a sleeper agent' to 'I am god, give me a sacrifice' with varying instructions inbetween) and bad things happen. It appears to get what it wants depending on whether you think it's doing a psychological experiment or it has a god complex.

Here's a YouTube video reviewing it: link

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2021, 10:27 pm

diagnosedafter50 wrote:
Eraserhead, dunno why but I loved it.

This is one of my favorite movies, so good to know that you loved this film.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2021, 10:59 pm

Spunge42 wrote:
Gentleman Argentum wrote:
I saw "The Color Out of Space" the other night, a movie based on the Lovecraft story of the same name. The story was a lot better. The film was appallingly bad. I began fast-forwarding after an hour, then I just quit watching. Poor Lovecraft.

Why is it that almost all Lovecraft adaptations are atrocious? There worse than B horror movies, those are least good for a laugh. I'm not sure why no one seems to be able to adapt his stuff properly.

I know, I’ve heard good things about From Beyond (if I recall correctly) and Re-Animator is supposedly good if you like comedy with your horror (which I don’t), but that’s all I’m aware of :(

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 12:16 am

I watched Eraserhead a while ago, I couldn’t really enjoy it because I just felt so bad for the baby :(

My go-to “WTF” movie is Tetsuo: The Iron Man. I honestly can’t decide if I like it or not but sometimes just get the compulsion to watch it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 1:46 pm

Elephants Dream

Animated short film from 2006. A dutch production made using blender. It's got a relatively simple message and theme wrapped up in... weirdness. It's creepy and odd, the animation hasen't aged well at all. It's in english but the voice actors are all dutch and their accents are terrible. Still a fun watch if you like odd stuff.

The whole thing's on youtube for free.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 5:49 pm

Take This Waltz

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 9:22 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Take This Waltz

I can't remember exactly why, but that movie bummed me out for days after I saw it, and it was a long time before I could hear that Buggles song without getting depressed.

My offering is Gerry - an obscure Gus Van Sant movie with Matt Damon and Casey Affleck. Essentially two guys go for a walk in the desert - that's it, that's about all that happens. It's all lingering shots and shuffling feet noises. I loved it. So little happens for so long that when something (small) does happen it almost feels like an action sequence.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 12:34 pm

Punch-Drunk Love

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:40 pm

Psycho II

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 12:08 pm

Deep Throat Part II (Chill! It's only rated: R)

Well, technically we only watched part of it. By mutual consent we decided to switch to something better.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 2:34 am

"Fierce People", and "the Cake Eaters".

Two obscure independent films that feature mega star Kristen Stewart (in the main role in the "Cake Eaters", and in a supporting role in "Fierce People".

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

17 Apr 2021, 4:32 am

One obscure one I'd love to see again is the TV adaptation of the book "Junk" by Melvin Burgess but I can't find it anywhere!

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Re-Animator is supposedly good if you like comedy with your horror (which I don’t)

I don't usually like a mix of horror and comedy but sometimes I do and I loved "Re-Animator" (along with the "Evil Dead" films and a few others).

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Psycho II

I've watched that so many times in the past. Strange that the book's story is totally different to the film's.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 12:21 am

The Ten Commandments and Cant Hardly Wait

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2021, 3:20 am

Meshes of the Afternoon. You could watch several of Maya Deren's films in the time it takes to watch a single feature since she is known for her short films. Maya Deren was part of a group of fellow film enthusiasts who believed that modern film (film in the 40s) had become too obsessed with dialogue and plot since the popularization of the talkie. Films had lost their unique experience, pure light and motion, and instead become recordings of theatre. Not to mention that the art had been thoroughly lost due to the commercialization of the film industry. These are all the opinions of Maya Deren, and not necessarily me.

So her and her colleagues made independent silent shorts with no real plot. They are incredibly surreal experiences that cannot be logically understood. They feel like a window into a dream with their experimental editing, weird scenarios, and non-linear structure. A lot of handheld camera-work too, as Deren believed modern filmmakers were constrained by the tripod. At Land is another big one, but Meshes of the Afternoon is my favorite of hers that I've seen because I love the image of the hooded figures with glass faces. You can draw interpretations from them, but I'm not sure that they even have an intended meaning.

It's also an interesting window into, what was essentially the punk filmmaking of the 40s. Indie, and against the sensibilities of the mainstream. The one I'm linking has a soundtrack added by the uploader, but the film was originally shot with no intended score. It's a silent film, so you can just mute for your first viewing.