Deinonychus

11 May 2012, 12:38 pm

This looks funny a hell XD

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjLaLiwJdok[/youtube]

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:18 pm

Definitely one I'm going to watch. The guy who makes these movies is a genius of modern-day comedy.
Can't wait - looking up the release date now. :P

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:26 pm

SBC is pretty much a mad genus when it comes to comedy. Most comedians are a dime a dozen, but I respect him for pulling off some of the ballsiest stuff I've seen in comedy and not lose the basic concept of humor.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:42 pm

I've never seen one of his movies and I probably never will.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:45 pm

This movie is just adding fuel to the flames of hatred. :( And it stereotypes Muslim people, that they're all women-hating terrorists and in the States people who wouldn't harm a fly are being treated like scum and are targets of hate crimes. Yeah, this is gonna make me popular on this thread. :roll:
P.S. I am not Muslim.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 2:10 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
This movie is just adding fuel to the flames of hatred. :( And it stereotypes Muslim people, that they're all women-hating terrorists and in the States people who wouldn't harm a fly are being treated like scum and are targets of hate crimes. Yeah, this is gonna make me popular on this thread. :roll:
P.S. I am not Muslim.

Here's a good article on the acceptance and taboo of portraying different races.

Blackface, Brownface, Yellowface, Arabface, Jewface, and Purpleface

Quote:
Ashton Kutcher recently embroiled himself in some controversy by starring in a commercial for Pop Chips. He was featured in the ad in brownface. Kutcher used brown make-up to darken his face in order to play Raj, a Bollywood producer “looking for love.” Many Americans of South-Asian ethnicity were offended and protested the racist stereotyping of Indians. Duly chastened, Pop Chips removed the ad.

If one can be portrayed, why can't all of them? Is it the person portraying them?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 2:24 pm

I think it's meant to be satirizing dictators (not all of which are muslim) and American islamaphobia more than muslims themselves. Though I agree it's veering into dangerous territory especially since he's not the most nuanced comic.
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I thought Borat was way way overrated and like Bruno it had some entertaining clips but neither of them hold together well as feature length films.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 3:34 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
Can't wait - looking up the release date now. :P

May 16th US, Canada, UK, and Australia

Here's a link: http://www.republicofwadiya.com/intl/re ... dates.html

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:58 am

The more I see, the more I like it. When I first heard of it I dismissed it immediately, despite loving Borat and Bruno.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:06 pm

I got my ticket today and will be seeing it on Thursday.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 12:18 pm

lks like te reviews are pretty much what we expected them to be. Summerized, they say: "If you like SBC's comedy style, you'll enjoy the movie. If you were expecting another Borat, then keep on looking."

Looks like Avengers is headed for 3 straight weeks on top. And no, I don't think Battleship won't split the action film audience enough to make a difference.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 4:56 pm

snapcap wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
P.S. I am not Muslim.

Here's a good article on the acceptance and taboo of portraying different races.

Blackface, Brownface, Yellowface, Arabface, Jewface, and Purpleface

Quote:
Ashton Kutcher recently embroiled himself in some controversy by starring in a commercial for Pop Chips. He was featured in the ad in brownface. Kutcher used brown make-up to darken his face in order to play Raj, a Bollywood producer “looking for love.” Many Americans of South-Asian ethnicity were offended and protested the racist stereotyping of Indians. Duly chastened, Pop Chips removed the ad.

If one can be portrayed, why can't all of them? Is it the person portraying them?

I don't like Cohen and I think that Borat and Brüno were both unfunny and somewhat offensive. But in this case, Cohen doesn't portray a different "race" because he looks very Middle Eastern to begin with. He merely wears a fake beard. If anything, it is Brüno that should be condemned by the author of the article, because Cohen's role as a blond and light-skinned Austrian was a case of "whiteface".