Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 8:14 pm

I am only asking for an opinion not a diagnosis I am waiting on a real assessment.

I am 37 I was born with a cleft lip which I had properly fixed this year so I suffered loads of bullying because of it.
I always assumed my problems were due to the bullying but no I am thinking I have Asperger syndrome.

I have OCD I am obsessed with any kind of process.
We use to have an open fire and I use to be obsessed with the tiny fire starting and spreading to lite up all the coals.
When I go to the toilet I let water drip into the sink very slowly until it covers the bottom of the sink.
I run virus scans to watch the numbers counting up and download large files to see the progress of the percentage and the loading bar.
The above are examples of my OCD be they go on.

I have never been in a relationship and I always drop to the bottom in any social situation school and later jobs.
I tend to go on about my narrow interests in politics and Movies annoying people.
I find it hard to understand weather people are joking or being mean to me leading to me getting in trouble.

I suffer from a condition I looked up called Trichotillomania where I pick at my hair.
I avoid eye contact with people unless they are family.
People who have know me in work have said I am not a very nice person and insult people and gossip.

I am subject to bursts of anger when I feel impeded like waiting in line or been in a busy area with lots of people.
I find these situations very stressful.

I hate a busy bar with music and I hate those events with lots of noise and people.
I am lazy and find it very hard to motivate myself.

I always say the wrong thing and I am very impulsive regretting saying many things after I have said them.

Having said all that in my Job which closed last year I was a hard worker and even got promoted to quality control
a job with responsibility involving counting and detail.
I have been on many overseas holidays too.

I am good with electronic stuff and bad with people.

I am only asking for an opinion but I am pretty sure I must be on the Autism spectrum.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 8:42 pm

I forgot to add a few things.

I get cripplingly embarrassed at odd things.
I do not sing and I find it embarrassing when people do.

Among children I was not ashamed of my mother like most of the other kids I was ashamed of my mother seeing me
with children doing childish things.

I am too embarrassed to put on a pair of shorts in the summer.

Edit

I do not dance nor engage in wild vocal celebrations at sporting events and so on.
I find kids TV and movies embarrassing even when I was a kid.

I never cry in-front of people when I was six at a family event my hand was caught in a door and I did not cry.
I never talk about live nor do I hug or kiss people and if somebody gives me a kiss I feel very awkward.

I am physically awkward and no use at any kind of sport.

This is the first time I have put all this together I was in denial.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 9:49 pm

OCD is obsessive compulsive disorder, and is not characterized by the things you have mentioned.

However trichotillomania is a disorder which is frequently co-morbid with OCD. It can exist on it's own, however.

HK416N
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2012, 12:35 am

yes this fits aspie
yer very aware and dont fit with stuff around

methinks u know it and just lookin for sec opinion to be sure
trust yerself, u know best .. specially when aspie cause outsiders have no clue about yer inside.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:40 am

HK416N wrote:
yes this fits aspie
yer very aware and dont fit with stuff around

methinks u know it and just lookin for sec opinion to be sure
trust yerself, u know best .. specially when aspie cause outsiders have no clue about yer inside.

Thank you.

I very often feel guilty that I have not done better in life.
An official diagnosis will be a relief.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:19 am

You might have PTSD aswell.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:22 am

AnotherKind wrote:

Again thanks you are very helpful.

Whoever I go to will be able to write a book on me.

I notice on your profile it says you have Asperger's undiagnosed.

Have you found anything I posted familiar to your situation and life experience?

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:29 am

sharkattack wrote:
AnotherKind wrote:

Have you found anything I posted familiar to your situation and life experience?

Yes, i was bullied in school and i suffer from PTSD (i have almost the same issues as yours). I'm not sure about asperger.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:31 am

AnotherKind wrote:
sharkattack wrote:
AnotherKind wrote:

Yes, i were bullied in school and i suffer from PTSD. I'm not sure about asperger.

Well whatever I wish you well.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:37 am

sharkattack wrote:

You can read here more about the effects of bullying
http://www.bullyonline.org/stress/health.htm

Thanks. I wish you all the best too

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:51 am

AnotherKind wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

You can read here more about the effects of bullying
http://www.bullyonline.org/stress/health.htm

Thanks. I wish you all the best too

Again thank you and I mean it.

I am following the link now.

MrPickles
Raven
Raven

14 May 2012, 4:03 am

First off I have always refused to put the words syndrome or disability in the same sentence as and following the word Asperger's. In my mind Asperger's is the way my mind works - not an indication that I am broken or non-functioning.

From what you describe you sound strongly Asperger's or even High functioning Autistic - though it sounds like you will have the final answer soon, if you are awaiting diagnosis report. If your psychiatrist
has any real experience in the field he should have been able to give you a good strong indication of what the formal diagnosis will be. My son's psychiatrist with in 15 minutes was able to give both of us a preliminary diagnosis and the test were to decide exactly where we were on the spectrum and if we have other diagnosable conditions. So if your present psychiatrist is having trouble deciding weather or not you are you are Asper/Autie you may need to look for someone that has some more experience in the field.

Found on http://jacobbarnett.org/ -- If you are suffering from Autism - you're doing it wrong!

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:10 am

MrPickles wrote:
First off I have always refused to put the words syndrome or disability in the same sentence as and following the word Asperger's. In my mind Asperger's is the way my mind works - not an indication that I am broken or non-functioning.

From what you describe you sound strongly Asperger's or even High functioning Autistic - though it sounds like you will have the final answer soon, if you are awaiting diagnosis report. If your psychiatrist
has any real experience in the field he should have been able to give you a good strong indication of what the formal diagnosis will be. My son's psychiatrist with in 15 minutes was able to give both of us a preliminary diagnosis and the test were to decide exactly where we were on the spectrum and if we have other diagnosable conditions. So if your present psychiatrist is having trouble deciding weather or not you are you are Asper/Autie you may need to look for someone that has some more experience in the field.

Thanks for the feedback.

I nice to get an outside perspective.

How is your son doing?