Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wanderinggrl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2012, 10:24 am

Is this a sensory issue? I cannot tolerate my hair touching my face. When I was a kid and someone had the windows down in the car, I would put my hands on the side of my head to keep my hair from blowing in my face. And I would ride like that until we got to where we were going or the windows were rolled up. I was given so much crap about it as a kid from my parents that I was just making it up and it wasn’t actually that bothersome. I still hate it today. When I’m driving myself the only window I will have open is the driver’s side since that blows my hair back and not all around. Any other combination of windows blows it in my face. I wear my hair in a ponytail all of the time, its been years since I’ve actually worn it down because of this. Would this be considered a sensory issue? Does anyone else relate to this?

questor
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 1:27 pm

I can't stand to have my hair in my eyes, or getting into or on my ears. After my mom died, my sister and I went through her stuff, and I found a pair of hair scissors. My sister didn't want them, but I did, so I kept them. Money was tight for me, so I figured I could do self trims for a while, until I could afford a full cut. Now, once or twice a year my step mom gives me a full cut, and I do trims in between. I am able to get that pesky hair out of my eyes and ears without having to wait for a full cut from my step mom thanks to those hair scissors I inherited from my mom. I am not a really good cutter, but can manage the front and sides okay, so I don't have to go crazy from the hair any more.

Unfortunately, when any of my hair molts, my skin thinks it is public enemy #1, so if it falls down inside my clothes, I get really itchy, and then I have to find some way of being somewhere where I can take my top off to hunt for and remove my own molted hair.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 4:35 pm

I can't stand my hair touching my neck and face when I go to bed. Can't stand it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 5:19 pm

I never liked having hair being blown in my face or a little piece of hair touching my face. I never liked hair in my face either. I have gotten used to bangs being in my face though and I use barrettes when it gets too much.

Lynners
Raven
Raven

13 May 2012, 1:17 am

League_Girl wrote:
I never liked having hair being blown in my face or a little piece of hair touching my face. I never liked hair in my face either. I have gotten used to bangs being in my face though and I use barrettes when it gets too much.

Yes, and it's one of the reason why I had my hair cut short as a kid and it's the reason I always wear my hair up now. Even one single strand on my face irritates me.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 2:06 am

Yeah, I'd say this was a sensory issue, especially since for the most part it doesn't appear to bother NTs that much. When I was younger, I didn't like the feeling of lying on my back on my hair because it would itch, so I would pull it out from under my neck/shoulders and let it flow over the pillow or across the carpet or wherever I was lying. I'm sure it looked pretty weird, but it took care of the sensory issue though. I don't have to do it anymore, but even now I try to avoid putting my hair up even in a ponytail because there will always be a few stray hairs that escape and drive me crazy. I'm sure it would be a lot easier if I just cut it all off, but I think I look better with long hair, that, and it feels really weird if it's not tucked behind my ears.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 3:31 pm

Not sure, but I don't like it either. Bandanas seem to help a lot; hairties never keep it out because I have little pieces that still touch my face.

sensoryresearcher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2012, 4:55 pm

Sounds like a classic light touch sensitivity- very common (I hate it too, and I'm NT!)

wanderinggrl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2012, 5:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 5:30 pm

sensoryresearcher wrote:
Sounds like a classic light touch sensitivity- very common (I hate it too, and I'm NT!)

ya, i don't mine it blowing around but at times it lightly touches me and i'll jerk and slap it out and rub...always rub 8O

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 5:31 pm

It definitely sounds like a sensory issue to me but I can't say that it affects me.

wanderinggrl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2012, 5:59 pm

danmac wrote:
sensoryresearcher wrote:

ya, i don't mine it blowing around but at times it lightly touches me and i'll jerk and slap it out and rub...always rub 8O

Exactly. Blowing around is fine but any strands touching me drives me crazy.

retrogurl88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2012, 2:49 pm

Stepping out of the shower with wet hair, it makes my skin crawl!

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 2:54 pm

I cannot tolerate hair on my face, especially around the eyes or mouth. Even seeing someone walking around with their hair covering the eye(s) annoys me.

wanderinggrl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2012, 3:01 pm

Same here. I hate when my wet hair drips down my back.

eatingcereal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2012, 3:05 pm

wanderinggrl wrote:
Same here. I hate when my wet hair drips down my back.

Wet air touching the back of my neck is the worst feeling ever. Like when you wet your hair before a haircut.