Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 9:29 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625 ... 78489.html

What do you think?

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 10:06 pm

I am appalled by their treatment of him... but concerned about the statement taht 16% of students failed the math exam... since they did not give a percentage of Developmentally challenged students... that statement could be construed as misleading

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 10:41 pm

That's the Night That the Lights Went Out In Georgia...

They're executing his life, his hope, when he has done nothing wrong to deserve it.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 11:01 pm

The comments almost universally express the idea that this is unfair discrimination.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 12:02 am

It's worse than discrimination - It's educational politics.

This is the end result of the regression of our educational system post-NCLB. We are gravitating away from individualization and promoting different talents, and back to the old days of everyone having to fit into the same box.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 1:43 am

A bit of technology and some alternatives could go a long way in aiding this kid.

http://www.dyscalculiaforum.com/forum/v ... ad_id=2904

TheSunAlsoRises

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 1:49 am

I'm worried about my autistic daughter when she reaches the age of graduation. Will she be denied graduation here in Washington state?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Jeffrey228
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2012, 1:59 am

theWanderer wrote:
That's the Night That the Lights Went Out In Georgia...

They're executing his life, his hope, when he has done nothing wrong to deserve it.

Well be warned that is a Conservertive Republican state, something that unfortunately has led to enough issues where if you want to work in a state, you have to be on from 9 months to nearly 2 years worth of Medication treatment to "Forece" Cure your Autism based disorder, Down Syndrome and Aspergers Syndrome can't get away with it either.

I think out country runned by Republican Jackasses seem to want to return the moral issues that people with disorders should have no freedom or no free rides.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 3:03 am

In Alabama you can start taking your exit exams in 9th grade, so you have four chances to pass it. Also if you fail one part of it, like this kid failed math, you can take part in the ceremony and then go to summer school and make up that class and take the test and get the diploma.

The mom said he can do it but once he walks away from it he forgets the steps. He should be able to pass it with a summer school class and intensive study.

There are several kids in my daughters graduating class who are doing that for various subjects. She's an honor student and passed her exit exams last year so she doesn't have to take them. It's not unusual and I don't think it's because he's autistic, unless he's just completely unable to do the math, which isn't what his mother said.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 10:27 am

This young man reminds me quite a bit of myself at that age - he's great at everything but math, unable to recall the steps it takes to solve a problem.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 12:42 pm

It ain't fair that someone has such a difficult time passing such an exam. Disregarding standards and granting diplomas anyway, isn't going to improve anyone's future. I mean, how is someone going to handle the challenges of post-high school education, much less succeed in an education-based career, if they can't attain the requirements of high school graduation? This idea of waiving standards due to disability is absurd, and is a farce for lawyers and bureaucrats to keep their pointless jobs. Those who are acknowledging reality aren't trying to be mean. I had to worry about getting out of high school. I had to pass all the required regents exams in my state. I had to try a lot to pass the Biology, English, and French exams. I wonder how I even pulled it off. Yet, there are still lots out there who managed to get diplomas who can't get anywhere near success.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 6:14 pm

dalurker wrote:
It ain't fair that someone has such a difficult time passing such an exam. Disregarding standards and granting diplomas anyway, isn't going to improve anyone's future. I mean, how is someone going to handle the challenges of post-high school education, much less succeed in an education-based career, if they can't attain the requirements of high school graduation? This idea of waiving standards due to disability is absurd, and is a farce for lawyers and bureaucrats to keep their pointless jobs. Those who are acknowledging reality aren't trying to be mean. I had to worry about getting out of high school. I had to pass all the required regents exams in my state. I had to try a lot to pass the Biology, English, and French exams. I wonder how I even pulled it off. Yet, there are still lots out there who managed to get diplomas who can't get anywhere near success.

The reality is that some people have disabilities, or symptoms of disability, that affect them only in a specific subject. (ie. math.) Their performance in that one subject does not reflect their overall ability. In a career that requires little to no math, such an individual could be just as successful as you or I. But without a high school diploma, he would not be given the chance.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 6:45 pm

I think that's horrible. The school knew that he had problems with math all along. The school should have just given him the waiver to graduate. It's very unfair what the school has done to him.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:16 pm

i never understood the need for tying educational subjects together,
that in itself would have made this a non issue

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2012, 8:43 pm

That's horrible, the school knew he had problems with math, yet did well in every other class so they should have let him at least walk. One thing's for sure is that if I had to take the exit exam, I would have ended up like this person, since math has been the hardest subject for me, and the only reason my geometry teacher gave me a "C" at the end of the year was so she could get rid of me.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 4:11 am

i read some more about this kid and it seems that he has talent in the film and art and wants to direct movies.many conservitories and art schools take people on specified talent alone and dont even care if one even went to high school