Do you think autism needs to be cured

Page 1 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Jupiter1234
Raven
Raven

13 May 2012, 6:02 pm

Every one ...mostly people who hardly know any thing about autism donates to autism speaks or cure autism now.....

I don't like either charity...they are demonizing the disorder...comparing it to aids and cancer making it so there would be a test so mothers would be able to tell if a child has autism be for it is born and have the choice to terminate the pregnancy....when they know people are not educated enough to make that decision

I think they should be funding research for diffrent therapy approches for the lower functioning people ...

Instead of trying to rid us from society

Sorry about my rant....I just want to know if you agree with me or if you are for a cure

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 6:27 pm

Nope. Trying to research a cure it is an idiotic waste of funds and effort.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 6:36 pm

Firmly against the broad concept, not sure if it's possible. It seems like it would be as impossible as "curing neurotypicality." I mean, it's just different brain functions.

At any rate, there is too much potential for greatness in the ASD community. I believe that the best thing to do is to figure out how to make sure that as many people with ASDs as possible become productive members of society as adults. Yes, we will always struggle to coexist with a primarily neurotypical world in some way, but all also have specialties and talents and potential that can be cultivated better and better by a more educated society.

The psychological education of the nation (yes, world, but I can only percolate so many ideas at once k) is a whole social movement not fit for this topic, though. I'll just say that I think a good place to start fixing this country's mental health issues (an effort that could seriously propel the US back towards one of the most culturally advanced nations) would be mandatory psychology classes no later than middle school. There is no reason any teenager should reach high school without knowing about common psychological issues like depression and ASDs and the psychological sides of bullying, anorexia, etc.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:00 pm

Autism doesn't "need" to be cured. Come to think of it, cancer doesn't "need" to be cured either. However, I think it would be very worthwhile to research potential drugs or treatments that could reduce it's symptoms.

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2012, 8:15 pm

I think it would be good to have a cure.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:28 pm

Yes, of course :? If individual autistic people feel fine the way they are, they don't have to take medication or undergo treatment. But there are autistic people who have actual problems and disabilities and would very much like to be cured from their condition. People who don't have any problems that they'd like to be treated if it was possible should perhaps ask themselves if it really makes sense to call themselves autistic.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:30 pm

I think that a cure would be a very bad idea. A cure for being the way that I was made, and for being myself? No thank you.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:32 pm

Ganondox wrote:

Some deaf people feel the same way about cochlear implants. Others are happy that these hearing aids exist. For the latter, it's a good thing that medical researchers didn't listen to those who think that it's great to be deaf.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:41 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that a cure would be a very bad idea. A cure for being the way that I was made, and for being myself? No thank you.

If it was possible to replace the neural connections between the frontal lobe and the rest of the brain that are missing in autistic people, we would still be ourselves. We would still have the neural overconnectivity within the frontal lobe that gives some of us improved cognitive abilities. We'd simply gain all the abilities that we're currently lacking, such as normal social instincts, better motor control, improved depth and distance perception etc.

For me, this would mean that I might be able to look somebody in the eye, smile at them, and reach out to shake their hand without knocking something over. That's like giving a neurotypical person the ability to fly. It doesn't change their personality, it only greatly enriches their life experience.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 9:26 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Some deaf people feel the same way about cochlear implants. Others are happy that these hearing aids exist. For the latter, it's a good thing that medical researchers didn't listen to those who think that it's great to be deaf.

I'm not saying it's a waste because no one would want it, I'm saying it's a waste because I highly doubt their ever will be a cure. A treatment, maybe, but not a cure.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 9:51 pm

I refuse to be cured and that's that.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 9:53 pm

Ganondox wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I'm not saying it's a waste because no one would want it, I'm saying it's a waste because I highly doubt their ever will be a cure. A treatment, maybe, but not a cure.

You might be right. I have high hopes for treatments that involve stem cell-induced neurogenesis. Bone marrow stem cells have been found to migrate to the brain and create new neurons in mice, so it might be possible to replace missing neural connections in humans in the same way. But I guess there is more to a neurotypical brain than a better neuroconnectivity of the frontal lobe, such as social learning and synapse-building that occurs during childhood. Still, every little bit helps. I would be content if I could only be a little more socially functional.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 11:53 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

If it was possible to replace the neural connections between the frontal lobe and the rest of the brain that are missing in autistic people, we would still be ourselves. We would still have the neural overconnectivity within the frontal lobe that gives some of us improved cognitive abilities. We'd simply gain all the abilities that we're currently lacking, such as normal social instincts, better motor control, improved depth and distance perception etc.

For me, this would mean that I might be able to look somebody in the eye, smile at them, and reach out to shake their hand without knocking something over. That's like giving a neurotypical person the ability to fly. It doesn't change their personality, it only greatly enriches their life experience.

we don't really know if it could affect other aspects of their personality because we don't have any cured people at hand. for me, i experience every aspect of the world and the contents of my own mind with an autistic brain, so i do not think that i could be cured and still be fully "me". it would be like removing the colour red from the world and expecting things to look the same.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:51 am

If there was a cure I sure as heck don't want to be cured. Besides I would be afraid the government would probably try and round us all up and force us to be cured and treat it as a pandemic.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 1:07 am

The idea of mothers terminating pregnancies because autism was detected in the baby disgusts me. It does for any other disability as well.

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2012, 2:23 am

I disagre with killing babys if the baby has autism and if the babay does not. I still want a cure for autism.