Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 2:07 am

So, one of my friends from high school who also has AS mentioned that there will be an anime convention near me next month. I am a bit confused if she is trying to indicate she might want to go and have me join, but that is not the point right now, as I can clarify that with her later. She has gone to several conventions but I have never been too a convention that does not involve biology and poster presentations.

On the off chance that she wants me to come, assuming that she wants to come, and assuming I then decide that going is a good idea I have been putting together a cosplay for one of my favorite Bleach characters (Bleach is a s.i.). I have watched a few other anime but bleach is my obsession, and I do not know if I would find things to do that would not overwhelm me. I have more than a little social anxiety, and I get sensory over load in a grocery store, but I also LOVE Bleach and it would be nice to talk to other people not on the internet about it.

So to the point. Has any one ever gone to an anime convention, and do you have any advice from an AS perspective?

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 2:20 am

From an Aspergers perspective it's going to be very hard for you if you don't do well in large crowds... I used to go to Sac Anime (which is twice a year and one of the largest anime conventions in the country) with my ex girlfriend and they are crowded as all hell, if it wasn't for her and my friends with me I would have had crazy sensory overloads and panic attacks. But I also a more mild case of aspergers as well... They are definitely fun and you are usually guaranteed to meet some really cool people who may become friends ( also a lot of people I know go there especially to have sex with a lot of sexually promiscuous people since they often take place in hotels) but like, I have to warn you that if you are going to a large con then there will be a TON of people there... and if you cosplay you will get a lot of people coming up and talking to you and asking for pictures with you as well.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 3:22 am

nebrets wrote:
So, one of my friends from high school who also has AS mentioned that there will be an anime convention near me next month. I am a bit confused if she is trying to indicate she might want to go and have me join, but that is not the point right now, as I can clarify that with her later. She has gone to several conventions but I have never been too a convention that does not involve biology and poster presentations.

On the off chance that she wants me to come, assuming that she wants to come, and assuming I then decide that going is a good idea I have been putting together a cosplay for one of my favorite Bleach characters (Bleach is a s.i.). I have watched a few other anime but bleach is my obsession, and I do not know if I would find things to do that would not overwhelm me. I have more than a little social anxiety, and I get sensory over load in a grocery store, but I also LOVE Bleach and it would be nice to talk to other people not on the internet about it.

So to the point. Has any one ever gone to an anime convention, and do you have any advice from an AS perspective?

^^ Yaye greetings nebrets,

I believe that I have really enjoyed viewing the happy Bleach anime within the past also (I believe that the happy character named Nell is very magical).

^^ I believe that I have indeed visited a happy anime convention within the past also (I believe within May 2010). I believe that this was very very busy and perhaps very difficult to move within this little convention. ^^ In addition, I believe that many happy individuals wearing signs stating "Free Hugs" were present. I believe that I was wearing a Simon's Cat t-shirt at this event and a lovely lady came to see me and stated that she liked my t-shirt and asked which character this was. However I believe that she may have been very frightened by my voice when I spoke (I believe that my voice may be considered as very unusual) and departed.

^^ I believe that this was a very fun convention, however I believe that I was rather scared and this may be a very difficult for others also if finding difficulties within very large crowds. ^^ On the other hand I believe that this may have been a very popular convention as this was within London and was blessed with large amounts of advertising.

I believe that I was very excited as I visited this convention with my lovely niece and purchased a Totoro soft toy for her. ^^ In addition, we found a graphic novel named Mezolith and my lovely niece purchased this graphic novel for me for my Birthday a number of months after this convention.

I am very sorry for writing a very large message and if this is not helpful for you.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:33 pm

Thank you for the information. I talked to my shrink about it today also. I realized my OP was a bit rambling (because I posted it at 2ish AM because I was having trouble sleeping even though I was super exhausted), sorry.

I am tempted to try because there would be other people with similar interests, and anime is not something I can talk about with most of my acquaintances. I might wait until Sept when a group from my shrink go, as then there will be larger support if I start to melt down. I think it might be ok if there would be a place I could go that was quiet when I get overwhelmed.

At the same time while the crowds and noise might be like the horror of the grocer, I do not really care about groceries beyond having food to eat, and at least at an anime convention I would theoretically have similar interests with the other people there (except for the promiscuous sex, thanks for the warning Xenu). At least I am reassured that both you and Tomasu enjoyed it a bit when ya'll went.

Tomasu, I did not mind the post length.