Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Intravenus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2012, 4:58 am

Basically I'm gonna start my Psychology degree this Autumn, and after that I'd like to do a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology. To get on the course you need a lot of relevant job experience so I'm doing some voluntary work outside of my main job. I'm applying to work for a charity that runs evening clubs for kids with Autism, and befriending older autistic kids, helping them maybe become a little more independent and giving them someone to chat to..
I'm actually really looking forward to it, I reckon it'll be very rewarding and I've had some very good friends with fairly severe autism so I think I'll be able to handle it..

Has anyone ever done anything similar? I'd like to know what to expect!

dheurtev
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 May 2012, 8:15 am

I would recommend you consider day camp or summer camps to gain experience this summer. There is a lot of demand for counsellors.
Usually it offers a wide range of disabilities (not just autism) and gives you an opportunity to know what you like best.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:00 am

You could also see if you can find any babysitting jobs for kids with autism or tutoring/therapist jobs. If you're passionate about working with people with autism, you could look into whether your local colleges offer post-grad programs in autism studies (there's one in my city that does). The program typically covers the basics and they teach you therapy techniques (ABA/IBI). There might also be ABA courses that your local autism organizations may be offering. You could take these courses independently, without being enrolled in any degree/diploma program.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Lynners
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 9:27 pm

I was an aide for kindergartners who had labels like Asperger and PDD-NOS.

Easiest job, but at the same time it was extremely stressful. Other adults and teachers were the problem. It's hard when you understand these kids and others don't.

Applecore
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 May 2012, 1:03 pm

Lynners wrote:
I was an aide for kindergartners who had labels like Asperger and PDD-NOS.

Easiest job, but at the same time it was extremely stressful. Other adults and teachers were the problem. It's hard when you understand these kids and others don't.

I can relate to that!

I once taught a class where one kid had ASD. I had an assistant who was really outgoing and a great help, but she really couldn't understand this ASD-kid and just made him upset with her approach. I didn't suspect myself being on the spectrum at that time, but i started wondering why i was the only one who could understand why this kid got tired and angry.

I love working with autistic- and asperger kids, they need more adults who understand them not just adults who see them as "odd" and incapable.

Fire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2012, 10:57 pm

I once had an assistant berate a kid because he would repeat her directions back to her before doing it. She interpreted it as passive aggressive back talk but I thought it was just anxiety. She berated kids a lot for things I thought were kind of petty.