Has anyone tried to make their own video games?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 10:56 pm

I made two games with game maker. Also I am trying to figure out Allegro 5, which kind of has spotty documentation for C. I attempted to make a ping clone. I got as far as the paddles moving back and forth, buth as far as making goals never happened.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2012, 12:41 am

Finished exactly one, and it helped me get into college, so I can't complain. The main motivation for making it was the lack of a good two-player space invaders clone so that my brother and I could play.

AbstractAlien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2012, 2:23 pm

Well, as you know Uprising - I've got heavily into making games of late.

I would say before I found my programmer - my games were pretty awful though, it seems my programmer makes up for all my weaknesses!

At the moment we are working on a sequel to Apogee's "Dark Ages" (the game used an early version of the same game engine that was later used for their more popular platformers Duke Nukem and Cosmos Cosmic Adventure to name a few).

I'm also working on a full sequel to Sentient Ion II. It will be a full trilogy in time - the third game will explain the events of the previous two and wrap things up.

I basicly live in 1991 when it comes to games ;) wait wait it's 2012 now?? YOU LIE!! !

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 2:28 pm

I have studied game programming and have worked on several games.

C++
Snake
A very simple version of snake, made in C++ using a library for the command prompt. The snake would grow as it eats and you would die if you run into yourself ( you would go through walls, I think )

Tetris
A tetris clone in SDL. It had high score functionality, rotating bricks, and you would get extra points for clearing more than one line in one go.

Notegjerne / Note Hunters
A sidescrolling platform game made with SDL. It featured a character going around collecting notes. It had spikes, lianas, warps and a bonus level.

Space Shooter
A 3D space shooter ( though you could only move sideways. ) It featured moving enemies, particle effects ( which is really cool! ), text rendering...And probably some other stuff. It was made in OpenGL 2.0.

C#/XNA
Space Shooter
A simple 2D, side scrolling space shooter game. It featured two enemies + a boss and three different weapons. It was kinda cool, but a bit too hard.

Breakout 2 player
A breakout clone for two players. The local player would play with the paddle on the bottle, having the opponent paddle on the top. This was flipped for the other player so that both would have their paddle at the bottom. They played on the same Breakout level. There was also two pickups that would affect the speed of either your or the oponents ball.

I also have a current project using SDL and OpenGL 3.3 in C++. It uses lots of new OpenGL features, shaders etc. I am really happy with how far I have come. The level loads from a text file, the collision detection seems to work properly ( which was really hard to do ) and it's possible to play two players at once. It runs on both Linux and Windows. Allthough the Windows version is buggy, and the Linux version ends in a segmentation fault. But I hope to fix that soon. And also it needs particle effects!

Note: All projects above are school projects ( except the last one. ) I haven't had too much time to work on them. I have also made several games in Java for first year of school. But they weren't really interesting=P

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 11:13 am

My son likes to make both table games and video games, but our computers haven't had the power for the latest platform we downloaded (DZK? can't remember the name) so I think progress is on hold (we have ordered him a new computer). He doesn't have the art skills to get things fully formed; his forte is in roughing out the ideas.

He does have some programming skills but with professional platforms out there free to download (until you sell), there isn't any good reason to spend that much time on infrastructure.

Like a poster noted above, right now the goal is to get something finished enough to use with college applications. Summer project :)

GlitchyEel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jun 2012, 7:55 pm

I'm making a flash-based game in Computer Info. Tech this semester. It's made out of "if" statements mostly. In the game, you control a tank and shoot rotating stars. There's also shield power ups and health packs :D

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 10:25 pm

On my graphing calculator in high school, later RPG maker 2, and more recently I've been working on a Mario hack on and off (still haven't given up on that one :)

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 10:36 pm

I could never make an entire video game from scratch, as I hate math and I think you need to know a lot of math to program. That said, I am working on a mod for the real-time strategy game Glest; anyone interested can check out the thread here.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 10:42 pm

I used to make mods for Civ4, which was pretty fun. I only uploaded a couple of little things. Mostly I tweaked other mods or, most commonly, merged a bunch of different ones into one. Learned about xml and a smattering of Python and C++ that way but after a while I got bored with it.

I could see it as a very good way for a young person to develop an interest in programming languages. After a while I barely played the game anymore, except to check that the mods were working ... the fun changed from playing to building.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 2:19 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
I could never make an entire video game from scratch, as I hate math and I think you need to know a lot of math to program.

Not really. Maybe if you were programming physics or something a bit more complex like that, but even then, you only have to know how to write out the problem, the programming will solve it for you (though it's always good to double-check).

And besides, most stuff you could ever need already has good examples posted online.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2012, 5:21 pm

Oh yes, I made many 2D games throughout my life, mainly 2D shooters. I won't post anything here, because I don't want to be easily identified irl.