Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 7:43 pm

ouinon wrote:
Keniichi wrote:
To be honest its just kind of my personality to want to know why and how things work.

I so identify with this.

I have just started learning Python, with my nearly 13 year old son, and we are also doing some reading around "Computer Science" ... ( lots of Wiki and "How Stuff Works" for the moment :lol ).

.. because it just reached that point, after several years of my using the net, and several years of my son playing video games, and creating/designing his own on paper including all the myriad complex stats/values for the gameplay in them, and joining game creation sites/MMORPGs like Atmosphir and Sploder etc, and trying and failing to understand how to use the Construction Kits that came with Crysis, Morrowind, etc ...

... if there was one main burning crucial reason why my son should continue home-un-schooling ( apart from the fact that it takes less than 20 hours a week to cover "school-subjects" for the end of year "control/tests", rather than the 40+ hours in/at/on school/college plus homework ), then it had to be his learning at least one programming language and about how computers work, ( because game-creation is pretty much all that interests him ) ... and so I would have to find out too!! ! :lol ...

And the Python is coming along nicely, ( we're following a book bought from Amazon and referring to a couple of free online Python tutorials at same time for back-up/different "models" of explanation ) ... and we're picking up some info about operating systems, and motherboards, and RAM, and some history about it all, punch tapes/cards, ancient calculating machines, bits/bytes and the holes in the punch cards etc etc etc ...

... but we too still don't understand how holes in a punch card or zeros and ones are turned into programming language and vice-versa.

We have read a bit about ALGOL and the way programming language was broken up into language to the user, language to the computer, and reference language, etc ... and are beginning to see what syntax is about etc ... BUT I've begun to feel frustrated that the Python language tutorials don't explain or include the programming for "print", or "input" or "int" or all the other "functions" etc, all the various "sort-of-modules" like that, which we keep "calling"/typing/"paste"-ing into programming statements ... .

What is the actual *program* for "print" for instance ... and what are the programs for all the individual statements which make up *those* "lesser/lower" programs, and the programs behind those and and ... ??? How did the first ever program start? What *was* the first ever program? How many lines was it? Did it consist simply and solely of lots of 0's and 1's? What did it 'program"/make the computer do? ...

I realise that the first program(s) might in a sense simply be a circuit board ... with a string/sequence of electrical logic gates ... but would like to read/see an example of the first bit of *language* based on that? :) ... How do the *languages"/codes connect up with the circuit board etc?

:? :? :? :)

For some reason I only learn from and reallylike the Colleges Computer Sceince classes/books. I HAVE tried everything else and have generally gotten not very far, As I wrote Im not the best at Math, or antyhing visual Spatial. Ithink its because the books are more of demonstations and involve hands on works to explain whats going on?
Oh my! You sound just like me!

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 7:45 pm

LookTwice wrote:
Keniichi wrote:
like for instance when someone types a sentence the computer goes through its binary phase and eventually winds up with what we see as normal text. Its the same for commands. I want to understand that process?

Why do you want to know this and what do you want to be able to do with the knowledge?

The problem is that there is a number of systems involved and you don't necessarily need to know the details of all the systems to work with one of the others. For example, most software developers don't know much about how computer hardware works (and they don't really need to).

Roughly, there are these four levels that build on each other:
1) Hardware (keyboard and other periphery, mainboard, CPU, memory ...)
2) BIOS (sort of an abstraction layer between Hardware and operating system)
3) Operating system (e.g. Windows or Linux)
4) Application software (e.g. Word or Firefox)

Your question touches on all of these subsystems, so you might need to know:
- how does your keyboard register key presses, how does it send it to the computer (e.g. USB), how does the mainboard register the keypress, how does the CPU work, how does the display work? (if you're interested in hardware)
- how does the operating system handle key presses? (if you want to know about the OS)
- how does an application process input, how do I write source code to handle input? (if you want to know about software development)

You can take any of these topics and will find there is a lot of complexity there, the deeper you go, the more details there are to know about.

I like computer science classes at school, unfortuneately I cant afford the whole program(I get the joy of having sample classes as result of helping those who are disabled with life). I also seem to like networking and cisco and a tad bitof Assembly, unfortuenetaly I only seem to really get the computer science programs classes used in classes.(see my reply to ouinon)

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2012, 4:14 am

Assembly is awesome! Pretty complex but very fun! I started learning NASM for Linux about 6 or so months ago.

The biggest program I wrote so far was to take user input and display what they typed lol lame right?

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 6:49 pm

NASM? Whats that?

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 8:39 pm

You have to resign yourself to the knowledge that you'll never fully understand everything about computers - there's just too much information there. All my learning comes from a point of "need" - i.e. I have something that I want to accomplish that requires me to know X, so I do a deep dive into that until I understand what I'm after. I've been doing that for 10+ years and I've compiled a pretty wide breadth of knowledge, but every time I learn something new, I end up coming away with more questions than answers.

Having said that, there are plenty of extremely intelligent people here that can probably answer any question you have - but you have to know what you're asking first. General rules for good questions are: as specific as possible, with as much context as possible, and demonstrate in the question what you already know about the topic (including what steps you've taken on your own to find the answer).

As for your specific question, NASM is an open-source assembler: http://www.nasm.us/xdoc/2.10.05/html/na ... ection-1.1

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 8:43 pm

Yes I have come to the conclusion that a computer is just a big scientific calculator that takes it input in strings of numbers/information and translates it into what is understood as pure English.*

So I want to understand how HTTP works. I already know I can use notepad, and save it as a file, and this looks like a weblink on my desktop(depending on where I send the file to when I save it). I try with the "webpage I created(really a file)" but I cant post it anywhere without an error. I want to know what am I doing wrong to get this error? (Am I missing a step from creating a notepad file to making it a webpage?)
And I want to know how the computer knows the commands to make the "webpage" I tried to make?(ALL the processes*, sorry Im a nerdette :D)
Does that make sense?

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2012, 8:46 pm

What's the error? How are you trying to post it?

quux
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

Keniichi wrote:
So I want to understand how HTTP works. I already know I can use notepad, and save it as a file, and this looks like a weblink on my desktop(depending on where I send the file to when I save it). I try with the "webpage I created(really a file)" but I cant post it anywhere without an error. I want to know what am I doing wrong to get this error? (Am I missing a step from creating a notepad file to making it a webpage?)
And I want to know how the computer knows the commands to make the "webpage" I tried to make?(ALL the processes*, sorry Im a nerdette Very Happy)

You can check out weeks 8, 9 and 10 of Harvard's CS50 OpenCourseWare on cs50.tv on that, it's really well done and pretty accessible. All lectures are filmed and have subtitles, transcripts and notes on pdf. You can try all the things they show on their VirtualBox appliance (google "CS50 appliance 2.3").
Hope this helps.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2012, 11:39 pm

HTTP will download a page over the internet (that's why browsers use it). If you make a webpage in notepad, to view it just save it as .htm and open it with your browser.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 5:33 pm

Evinceo wrote:
HTTP will download a page over the internet (that's why browsers use it). If you make a webpage in notepad, to view it just save it as .htm and open it with your browser.

What if I try to post the notepad page I came up with as a link? I believe thats where Im getting my error.
BTW Does anyone even use notepad for webpages anymore?

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 8:40 pm

Keniichi wrote:
BTW Does anyone even use notepad for webpages anymore?

Yes, certainly. I don't use notepad because I don't run windows - but almost all of my web development is done with some kind of basic text editor.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 9:40 pm

Evinceo wrote:
If you want to save as anything else than .txt, you need to turn on display of file extensions in Windows. Its default is off, meaning notepad will always automatically append an invisible .txt to any document you save.

Last edited by Kenjuudo on 15 Nov 2012, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2012, 10:35 pm

If it's to another page you've made in the same folder, just use the target page's name (for example, if you have a folder with alice.htm and bob.htm, to link from alice to bob, the href in the link is "bob.htm"

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 1:34 am

Notepad shouldn't be used for anything other than quick notes anyway. It's feature set is not exactly made for developers.

Take a look at this one instead: Notepad++

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2012, 3:14 pm

Kenjuudo wrote:
Notepad shouldn't be used for anything other than quick notes anyway. It's feature set is not exactly made for developers.

Agreed, Notepad++ is great-especially when you don't know what language you'll be using ahead of time, or you're using an obscure one with no supported IDE.

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 5:11 am

Evinceo wrote:
Kenjuudo wrote:

Agreed, Notepad++ is great-especially when you don't know what language you'll be using ahead of time, or you're using an obscure one with no supported IDE.

yes it is. thanks