Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2012, 12:00 pm

Hi everyone I'd like to ask a favour please. Would you please recommend some authors to me? My favourite author of all time is Neil Gaiman, does anyone know any authors who are like him. I'd be very grateful for your help. Thanks a lot.

Dominic :)

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 12:42 pm

Are we sticking with sci-fi/fantasy and Gaiman's style? Harlan Ellison, Avram Davidson, Theodore Sturgeon, China Mieville, Frank Herbert.

If you're ready for some old school sci-fi, Asimov, Heinlein, and Heinlein's spiritual successor, Spider Robinson.

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2012, 2:01 pm

If it is sci fi my recommendation would be Philip K Dick. I really enjoy the shifts and twists in reality he presents, which inspired so many great (and not so great) films http://www.philipkdick.com/aa_biography.html

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2012, 2:23 pm

Thanks guys that's a great help :) I'll google those authors now.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 3:30 pm

If you like well written, really good fantasy stuff try Philip Pullman's Northern Lights Trilogy, YA reading but its great, great stuff. Joe Haldeman writes great scifi too, highly recommend his Forever War .

Nascaireacht
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2012, 4:15 pm

My husband is a bookseller, ex-librarian and an author (and a Neil Gaiman fan), and he'd add Kim Newman, Michael Marshall Smith, Kelly Link, Jonathan Carroll and Gwyneth Jones' "Bold As Love" series. And if you're looking for more comics, try the Hellboy/BPRD series from Dark Horse, and Mike Carey's The Unwritten.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2012, 10:52 am

Thanks NeueZiel I'll check out Joe Haldeman's Forever War (I've read the Northern Lights series, they're brilliant aren't they?) Nascaireacht I'll look at those authors your husband recommended. Thanks everyone!