Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

A_Landy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2012, 9:18 am

Can autism develop into Asperger's over time? I was just wondering, as one of my track coaches, who worked with people with autism before, told me that I appeared more like I had asperbergers rather than autism. Or could this be the current "HFA" I think I have (through people telling me that I have). Apparently I'm a miracle (after about 9 years of only speech therapy in school with no digisting segregation that currently goes on, but my own independent social skills and communication development that can always improve).

questor
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 10:28 am

Asperger's Syndrome and HFA are both part of the Autism spectrum of disorders. With HFA there is often a speech delay in childhood. With Asperger's there is usually not a speech delay. Other than that it is sometimes hard to tell the two apart, especially later on, once someone with HFA has learned to talk. People with Classic Autism tend to be lower functioning than those with HFA or Asperger's. Although there is no cure, people with HFA or Asperger's can sometimes learn to blend into the social norm, at least part of the time, but it takes time to learn how to do that. Still, for those of us who can manage it, this can lead to fitting in better, and less problems getting along in the NT world.

From what you describe, you have HFA, have learned to speak okay, and have managed to learn how to blend into the NT world, at least to some extent.

I am an Aspie in my early 50s, and still have social problems, so good for you in fitting in better. :D

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 10:28 am

Well, it depends. If you think, as some people do, that HFA = Aspergers, then no, it doesn't 'change' it just 'is'. If you think, as people also do, that HFA and Aspergers are different disorders the amount of overlap between them makes distinguishing between the two very difficult.

Personally I think that HFA and Aspergers are so similar once you're past the verbal delays that it's a bit silly for them to be different diagnosis', but then I agree with the DSM changes, and a lot of other people don't.

I think that you can learn to manage Autistic symptoms/behaviours, which makes you appear to be Higher Functioning. Your functioning itself can also improve, and generally does, because you learn, grow and adapt so by the time you're older you can handle things better, that's true of NT's, not just people with ASDs.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 11:25 am

I think it's just such a silly notion that people have, that autistic people never change and never learn. Of course we do. We all do. As we get older, we learn more; it's practically inevitable, and the only question is how far you can go, how many skills you can keep up with and use at once, and which things are most useful for you. I'm not discounting that you probably worked very hard to learn what you know, and that your teachers had to be sure to actually teach you in a way that you could make use of. All of that is great. But the default--given a good environment--is that as we get older, we learn more and more. Non-verbal people usually learn to speak by the time they're nine or ten, usually much earlier. Even those who don't learn to speak can learn other ways to communicate. I wish more people knew that. It would lead to much less distress for parents of newly diagnosed youngsters.

Autism comes in many forms. In adulthood, classic autism in those who are verbal and independent is usually indistinguishable from Asperger's autism. Your doctor probably couldn't tell which one you had unless he had access to your childhood history. If it's a miracle when an autistic child learns to speak and to take care of himself, then it's a rather commonplace miracle.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 1:26 pm

Yes, children with autism develop their minds as they grow up and learn things, and adults with autism continue to develop their minds as they continue to learn things.

I developed from classically autistic and non-verbal and not answering yes/no questions at age eight to Asperger-like and verbal and teaching classes at age eighteen. I learned to speak and communicate between age eight and age ten, and I learned to socialize in high school.

However, I did not learn to speak and communicate and socialize, because I became moar and moar and moar neurotypical. Instead, I learned to speak and communicate and socialize, because I learned moar and moar and moar in my own autistic ways to develop my own autistic mind.

For eggsample, I did not learn to speak through the neurotypical way of however it is that neurotypical children learn to speak at age one, two, three. Instead, I learned to speak through my autistic way of learning and being taught a second language at age eight, nine, ten. For me, the neurotypical way did not work, but I was lucky to luck out into the autistic way that did work.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 3:46 pm

First of, I think autism is a spectrum and the new dsm is going to fix that. I would say most people in general (not just autistics) learn to function better the older they get.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 3:51 pm

Asperger's IS Autism.

to his Interest."

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 4:00 pm

One doc said I had High Functioning Autism, the other said Aspergers. I consider myself to have HFA, due to speech delays and other delays - also due to a lot of compulsive movements and things like that I have, which I've decreased over time, but which I still -have- to do, whether I am in public or not, and if I don't do them it feels like -the worst thing ever- is going to happen. Completely #$%$ing illogical, but I must do them anyway. I think HFA and AS are virtually indistinguishable once someone gets old enough and has enough talking skills.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 7:38 pm

Yes, autism changes as you grow & age. Something that is mentioned but never followed up in the majority of texts I have read. But from personal experience, my traits have changed over the years. Some have fadded, some are the same..
Really wish there were more books for/by Autistic Adults!

Sincerely,
Matthew