Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 3:50 am

Well you are "anonymous" in the sense that you are just a bit of information amongst millions, not much more anonymous then a number hiding on the far right of a decimal point.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 7:13 am

NeueZiel wrote:
I've only been on reddit a few times, I just recall a topic on GW2 there where people started listing actual faults with the game and everyone and their grandma started to downvote those comments and they were drowned out in praise. This is really the only example I have to go by so I admit to not being an expert. I'm sure your example applies 90% of the time.

What subreddit was it on?
Depending on the subreddit, it could just be one of those places where almost everyone likes a certain thing and those that don't get downvoted. That just happens. It wouldn't really be a popularity contest, I don't think. It just happens on reddit just like it happens with certain things that aren't online depending on your location, etc.
Like if you're on, say, r/trees and bash people who smoke marijuana or talk about how bad it is for everyone, people will downvote you because that's a community that mostly consists of people who enjoy it.
If you bash it somewhere else you won't necessarily get such a negative response.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 May 2012, 9:50 am

Declension wrote:
All sorts of people go on 4chan. The important thing to know about 4chan is that everybody (usually) posts anonymously. All of the interesting properties of 4chan stem from this fact. For example, 4chan is the only social situation I know of where most people are pretending to be more horrible than they actually are.

Poe's Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Kidding on the square:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

I believe both are highly applicable.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 9:55 am

I think a lot of people that go on 4chan have issues. Most of the people who always hang out on 4chan obviously have issues themselves if they make that website about their life. Stuck-up smart alec types that say they are the most intelligent people in the world yet they don't go out in society and use it and they like bringing others down instead. People who think they own the Internet... I had a few friends who used to go on 4chan and they were just like how I described. Oh, the one guy I knew had majorly emotionally disturbing issues and he was really creepy. I didn't even know about that site until my ex showed it to me, I personally think it's lame. Everybody thinks they're all that and master hackers.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 10:12 am

Just took a look around. Rarely have I ever read such annoying remarks. The supposedly not 18+ boards are riddled with perverted things. I decided not to join the discussion, it's a waste of my time and lowers my iq.
But, hey, thanks, lolcats. :wink:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 May 2012, 11:08 am

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Random Discussion]

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 May 2012, 1:47 pm

I haven't been there in a few years but when I was there the word autistic meant troll & they were arguing about pon & fake pix of underage celebs that they were posting. Bunch of angry perverts

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition