Anyone else sufffer from changing special interests?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2012, 6:05 pm

Well basically as long as I can remember my special interests/ subjects/ infatuations whatever you want to call it has changed from one subject to another entirely spontaneously. For example almost three years ago (this is te longest time I have ever spent on one subject) I was into, the tv programme The SarahJane Adventure, that then as a combined interest went on to include Dr Who and Torchwood. From there I've gone on to Twilight and am at the moment sitting in a horrible feeling in the middle between twilight and the hunger games. I have never heard of another Aspie who does this even though their has to be, right?
I also get really upset and anxious when I know I am switching from one subject to the other. I hate doing it and is in one of the things I hate the most about having aspergers and I would love to know if others have done this to.
Just to clear things up I never lose total interest in a subject when I leave it and I sometimes have mini re-lapses, such as last summer when Torchwood was on the TV again and that was all I could think about for weeks!
Do either of these happen to other people?
Anyone have a random sudden want to go back to another interest, this just happened to me a minute ago when watching an old dr who episode, desperatly want to go an watch old episodes now and another question how do you deal with your friends and changing interests! If really like to know how you deal with this since I've never done it before and I have an awful feeling it's on the horizon!

Last edited by PixieXW on 26 May 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaBeef2112
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2012, 6:38 pm

Yes my interest change in much the same way, usually with warning. However they often last 2-3 years. Like you said the interest does completely go away it just moves into the background and may return back into the foreground at any time.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ = 41 EQ = 9

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

22 May 2012, 8:34 pm

I'm not even sure if I'm an Aspie, but that exact same thing happens to me too!
When I was little, I obsessed over the cartoon "The Magic School Bus". From middle school, I was obsessed with the band Linkin Park, and then it went on to Die Toten Hosen. Art-wise, I've been obsessed with rabbits, dolphins, dragons, phoenixes, orcas, swans (to a lesser degree), gryphons, and bird wings in general. Right now I'm completely obsessed with the games Portal and Portal 2.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2012, 9:42 pm

PixieXW wrote:
Well basically as long as I can remember my special interests/ subjects/ infatuations whatever you want to call it has changed from one subject to another entirely spontaneously. For example almost three years ago (this is te longest time I have ever spent on one subject) I was into, the tv programme The SarahJane Adventure, that then as a combined interest went on to include Dr Who and Torchwood. From there I've gone on to Twilight and am at the moment sitting in a horrible feeling in the middle between twilight and the hunger games. I have never heard of another Aspie who does this even though their has to be, right?
I also get really upset and anxious when I know I am switching from one subject to the other. I hate doing it and is in one of the things I hate the most about having aspergers and I would love to know if others have done this to.
Just to clear things up I never lose total interest in a subject when I leave it and I sometimes have mini re-lapses, such as last summer when Torchwood was on the TV again and that was all I could think about for weeks!
Do either of these happen to other people?

This happens to me all the time. And I never lose total interest either, I just go on to the next subject for a while. My obsession with dogs got me a delightful terrier/springer spaniel/mixed breed puppy. She's my best friend after my boyfriend, even if she does want to play ALL THE TIME and she's a lot smaller than I expected her to be (she's a one year old runt and only 7-8 lbs). Thanks to my prior obession with dog intelligence and behavior, she's trained decently, too! :thumleft:

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 May 2012, 9:43 pm

this happens to me to. My special interest normally last 6 months to a year though. It used to be bands, like owl city,family force 5, and lights. I would memorize every little detail about the band, then all of a sudden,my interest would be gone. Then it moved on to movies and books, like the hunger games and other YA books that are soon being made into movies. Then to mythological creatures, like unicorns,zombies,and narwhales. Now I'm interested in fish. (I've always liked them,but never to this extent.) I like watching them,studying them,and going to aquariums.

I hate when my interests change. Like all of a sudden,I'm bored of that subject. It always causes anxiety.

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 11:15 pm

My special interests have changed off and on my entire life. My current major special interest (the Tim Burton movies that Johnny Depp stars in) is an interesting case, because my obsession with it isn't consistent. Sometimes I am perfectly happy obsessing over it, but at other times I feel that it has run its course and I feel the need to search for a new special interest. (After all, my interests typically last between 2 to 3 years, and this one has already gone past the 2 year mark.)

These times are very hard on me emotionally, because they leave me feeling very sad and empty. I try desperately to find new special interests, but nothing seems to "click" with me. In the end I always wind up going back to Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's movies, because I start to miss them after awhile and I feel immensely guilty for looking for new interests; as though I am "cheating" on them. So then I obsess over them until I feel the need to search for a new interest, and the whole cycle starts all over again.

I've been through these phases for over a year now, and I'm getting very tired of it. Not only that, but I think my family and friends are tired of it too due to the negative impact it has on my mood, not to mention how confusing it is for someone to be really into something one day and then hate it the next, and then go back to liking it the following day. I'm really curious as to what sort of underlying thing is causing me to go back and forth on it all the time. So if anyone could shed some light on this for me, I'd be most grateful.

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2012, 1:17 am

IdahoRose wrote:

These times are very hard on me emotionally, because they leave me feeling very sad and empty. I try desperately to find new special interests, but nothing seems to "click" with me. In the end I always wind up going back to Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's movies, because I start to miss them after awhile and I feel immensely guilty for looking for new interests; as though I am "cheating" on them. So then I obsess over them until I feel the need to search for a new interest, and the whole cycle starts all over again.

I've been through these phases for over a year now, and I'm getting very tired of it. Not only that, but I think my family and friends are tired of it too due to the negative impact it has on my mood, not to mention how confusing it is for someone to be really into something one day and then hate it the next, and then go back to liking it the following day. I'm really curious as to what sort of underlying thing is causing me to go back and forth on it all the time. So if anyone could shed some light on this for me, I'd be most grateful.

I've never actually had to look for a new interest, they have- for the past six years overlapped- but before that I often had gaps between interests when u felt I was 'me' for a time before te next interest stole me away from myself! I know how you feel- my parents are generally not very supportive- if you've ever read guidelines for Aspie parents they are actually told to do this. But after a few years they give and will buy me things associated with my subject then I feel even worse when the interests go away and I get a new one!
And also for over a year I have been having breaks from my subject and gone on to other things but never quite got there- at the moment I am really stuck between Twilight and a smaller background interest in the hunger games. I am constantly waiting for the change to come but it still hasn't!

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2012, 2:28 pm

I feel bad when I've spent lots of money on a special interest and then it ends up in a state of disuse later. Sometimes some of the things come in handy later though, such as when I've migrated to an interest requiring similar materials.

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2012, 4:48 am

Senath wrote:
I feel bad when I've spent lots of money on a special interest and then it ends up in a state of disuse later. Sometimes some of the things come in handy later though, such as when I've migrated to an interest requiring similar materials.

Really? My interests have always changed so dramatically they have nothing in common- I suppose what I counted as one interest was really three though- when I was into the Sarah Jane adventures (tv programme) I progressed into dr who and then totchwood which are all conected and then I began to slowly lose interest and move into being me a little more then suddenly I'm hit in the face by twilight, I went from sci-fi to a teen fiction love story! And I generally hated love/romance before then but now it's found a very small place on my book shelf.
I know what you mean about spending money! My twilight interest has bought me four two disc DVDs my necklace, jumper, pillow, posters, seven books and a lot of peoples time oh and cinema trips! I really hope I can hold onto this one until the last film comes out- then maybe itl look more normal when it ends... I have friends who have never seen me change before. I am thinking of warning one of them on a school walk we're going on if I get a chance? Any thoughts on this?

CaliforniaSh33p
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2012, 1:30 pm

I do, Infact I have a few special interests...
I say that because some come and go...

I currently love Disney (Inc. Winnie the pooh!!)

I may love astronomy and science again, this comes and go's TOO MUCH! I also can LOVE harry potter and 2 months ago I LOVED sherlock holmes... It's so so weirid! XD XD XD