Is anyone else more social when they are lacking on sleep?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2012, 12:32 pm

I have been working 2 jobs for extra money to save for a vacation and I have really been lacking on sleep because of it. I have noticed that I am a lot more social and less awkward when I haven't slept for an extended period of time. I know it is partially because I am too tired to think and worry about what people think of me and I love this. I love going without sleep in a way, because even though I am tired...it sort of truly reflects how I feel about life and socializing...tired. When I am tired, apparently I am hilarious. I was joking around and making my friends laugh constantly. I'm funny when I'm awake too, but I noticed a huge different though when I was running on little sleep. I was more approachable and more likeable. Can anyone on here relate? I love would to hear from others on here.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 12:38 pm

My Asperger's syndrome is far more severe when I'm deprived of sleep. Eye-contact, reading social cues, language skills and all that (stuff that's hard enough when I get a healthy dosage of sleep) is very hard when I didn't catch any sleep last night.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 1:11 pm

Kurgan wrote:
My Asperger's syndrome is far more severe when I'm deprived of sleep. Eye-contact, reading social cues, language skills and all that (stuff that's hard enough when I get a healthy dosage of sleep) is very hard when I didn't catch any sleep last night.

+1
I also get easily agitated when I'm tired.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 1:21 pm

If I'm severely underslept, I can't even go out in public. So no.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 2:10 pm

Same with me. If I am tired, I have no energy to deal with trying to be social. I start caring less and gets very easily annoyed. I've always hated how I seem to be affected more by it than those around med ( NTs )

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 2:20 pm

my one and only real public fullblown meltdown was when i had an extreme lack of sleep the night before because of flying on a 12 hour flight from israel to the u.s.

and by meltdown i mean on the floor rocking meltdown :?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 4:49 pm

It depends. If it's like, I gotta wake up early after like 3 hours sleep, and go through the day on 3 hours sleep kinda deal, I'll probably be cranky and hate the world, but oddly, if I pull like an all nighter, I'll be really sociable, but basically acting like I'm drunk.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 5:36 pm

Most people on and off the spectrum do worse most of the time when they are sleep deprived. However, it does occasionally cause people to act sort of drunk instead. They call that "punchy" or "punch drunk", like boxers who are sort of out of it and woozy after taking a bad punch.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:32 pm

Sleep deprivation loosens me up, so I'm not so worried what other people think. And I can let a medium mistake just be a medium mistake. In a way it makes me more of a big texture person where I skim across the smaller stuff and just notice the big stuff, and in that way I think it makes me more NT.

And I can achieve some of this in regular circumstances by making a conscious decision to turn down my internal censor. And I generally think all of us, both people who are 'normal' (and no such thing as 'normal' anyway! :D ) and those of us on the spectrum, quickly review something before we say it.

It has helped me to have kind of a feel-and-texture, right-brain default setting that it's probably okay to go ahead and say it anyway, unless it clearly jumps out at me as inappropriate.

And I try and cut the other person some slack and give them some space as needed.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 12:29 pm

It makes me agitated, impatient and unwilling to make small talk.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2012, 2:34 pm

I'm having the same thing as Alienboy when I'm lacking sleep, until it becomes too much of a lack.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 11:51 pm

Lack of sleep can induce a state similar to drunkenness.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2012, 8:19 am

I've allways found it harder to act normal (NT) when sleep deprived but I find that the more time I spend around people the easier it becomes so when working long hours/ going out a lot I can actually be better than when rested but spending too much time alone.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

It's quite the opposite in my world. Less sleep = less social

MBTI- ISTP

marcopohlo
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2012, 6:44 pm

Maybe unrelated, but I'm trying to quit smoking right now, and I'm taking nicotine lozenges to ease the craving. And boy, does that make me social - in fact, for some people, the difference from 'regular' me is unsettling.

And, I laugh more, but that's a whole 'nother thing.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 7:18 pm

I laughed when I saw this topic because I had really been noticing this last semester (I did more late and all nighters than usual).

It's only true to a point, if I don't so much as close my eyes (as in can't even lie down for a half hour) I'm often barely able to function. If I get at least 1 or better 2-4 hours the effect is much clearer.

What gets me wasn't that it made me more social, but rather that all my peers seemed to like me better that way (this was indicated in ways too obvious to have be merely imagined). :?

I guess social impairment from AS and impairment from sleep deprivation is a case of two negatives making a positive. You've really got to hate nature sometimes... :roll: