Introduction from a mom of a newly diagnosed teen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lovingnhmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2012, 6:01 pm

Hi,
I have always known my daughter was different, but just thought that was the way she was made. I have always loved her quirks and thought she liked them also until recently. Puberty was a "B----". The kids at school all of a sudden became very mean towards her and the fact that she was different, and to make a long story short, we now have the diagnosis of asperger syndrome and wow! After reading and reading and reading, it's amazing that no one ever caught it before. I chalk it up to the fact that she is female and not many professionals believe still that asperger syndrome is a male thing. She is extremely high functioning and 90 percent of the time excited and and "up". But it is the other 10% that scared the crap out of me. I am completely new at all of this and am already starting to fight with the school about services. She was already classified for special ed due to social anxiety and learning disabilities. Her spec. ed teacher decided to open his big fat mouth and tell people out side of the school about private issues. I am looking for some other parents of "aspie" teens that I can bounce things off of and we can kind of support each other through these wonderfully horrible teen years!

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 6:09 pm

Welcome to Wrongplanet.

How does your daughter feel about her diagnosis? I hope you don't mind an Aspie teen also being willing to give input on ideas. :)

questor
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 7:23 pm

Hi Lovingnhmom! Welcome to Wrong Planet! Check out the many interesting and helpful forums here! You are among friends here at WP! :D You may have grounds for legal action against that special ed teacher.

lovingnhmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2012, 8:04 pm

FalsettoTesla,
She is actually relieved about it. She is learning as she goes, and I am hoping to get her on here herself to be able to chat with some teens that understand what she is going through without judgement. Can I ask at what age you were diagnosed? And to let you know, I am a very open person when it comes to figuring this all out. I am going to do anything that I can to make this all easier for her.

Questor,
I kinda think I do, but I am not sure if I really want to pursue it. He is a good person at heart, just probably is in the wrong profession. I went to the district director over it so far and am waiting to see what comes out of it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 11:38 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage