Page 11 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 12:59 am

Sophist,

Frankly, I think Autism should be what the name implies. IT seems to be defined right.

AS should be what Hans Asperger stated. It seems most define it right.

Hyperlexia!?!? Well, I had what the name implies, and it is only PART of what its "society" states. The other symptoms are not consistent, and may represent autism.

Anyway, even autism, and AS, show different symptoms, and degrees. It would be silly to believe they were on one gene.

HECK! When I saw that one sight said dan ackroyd had Heterochromia, I asked my mother what color eyes I had! She said *****BLUE*****! She was WRONG! WHY did I ask? I have a distinct memory of looking into a mirror one day, and seeing that they changed from blue to green/grey! Were we BOTH wrong?

Also, I have bown hair, but my beard is redish!

It makes you wonder even how many genes are involved even with THAT.

Steve

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2006, 9:40 am

I don't want to be cured. I like who I am. Mind you, I would understand if a little boy or girl who cannot speak or communicate would like to take a 'cure'. As Aspies, we're the light version on the spectrum. I would understand if someone who is higher on the scale, if you will, would want to take the cure.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2006, 10:15 am

Regarding choice, it's not going to be a choice for most people, and the weight of the direction in which the choice would be, would be towards cure or prevention, not away from it. So "advocating choice" sounds good on paper but it's not what's going to happen.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 12:46 am

GenericBrandUserName wrote:
I'm gonna start my own group: Cure Neurotypicals Now.

Yup, cure NTism instead. World of Aspies would be infinitely better than what we have now.

spirited
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2007, 10:25 am

SteveK wrote:
ooh_choc,

PLEASE read that article, THEN come back and talk. If you want to stop mental retardation, FINE! I'm all for it! Lets find a cure for those having an IQ below say 120!
YEP, even some having an IQ over 100 seem rpetty ret*d. Let's help them ALL!

This is funny!<giggle>
Steve

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2007, 3:53 pm

Nexus wrote:
If someone came out with a cure from being NT, making you Autistic; which allowed raw savant skills in all realms of audio, visual, mathematical, imaginative, common sense skills, etc comfortably (basically making you a super-genius with an IQ of 300) in exchange to loosing most social abilities but retain a level of empathy and essential social skills; most NTs would protest. They would be stating the exact same reasons why as above about feeling subhuman and forced to comply, feeling the exact same way I do.

After all to me, you'd think it'd be more logical to cure people from socializing so unnecessarily in exchange for super-intelligent capabilities to advance civilization and culture thousands of times faster; and be able to factor in all ramifications of technologies they create (and could have prevented massive environment damage, in favor of finding eco-friendly means to support new technologies). Also, the world would be at peace because everyone would be intelligent enough to form universal understanding without irrational emotions or primitive social cultures clouding their thoughts.

Hmm. Sometimes I think I'd like that. I'd finally have those great cognitive skills I envy, and social stuff wouldn't be much of a loss because I kind of suck at it for an NT anyway. Or so I've been told most of my life...(although they wouldn't have said "for an NT" because there are no aspies in my family - I learned of this place through an aspie friend/boyfriend)

But society would probably still be better off with the full spectrum of human cognitive and perceptive styles, which includes neurotypicality. Surely an Aspie-dominant society would benefit from services that someone with a big picture orientation, dull and well-integrated senses, and ease at shifting attention, just as much as our NT-dominant society benefits from those with detail orientation, acute and variably configured senses, and ability to pay obsessive attention.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 4:13 pm

A lot of us don't have any less big-picture orientation than anyone else does.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 4:37 pm

An NT being punished for refusing to accept the cure....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1QhrrynMFiM

:twisted: