Unable to talk or communicate during meltdown?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

How is your communcation limited during meltdown?
Unable to talk or otherwise communcate 37%  37%  [ 16 ]
Unable to talk but can attempt other form of communcation 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Communication has general hindrance 51%  51%  [ 22 ]
No hindrance to communication 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 6:51 pm

Actually, I would call a moment like this a "shutdown" more than a meltdown. During a meltdown, unfortunately I do have a voice. I do not have control over it though & I can curse to make a sailor blush. Has definitely gotten me in trouble. But if someone talks to me, I may not coherently respond.
When I shut-down, its like I vacate my body completely. I may or may not be able to move, either.

Sincerely,
Matthew

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 9:24 pm

I'm still learning about and rating the severity of my crashes (in search of new word since media is really starting to run with meltdown)but generally once I get past the graying out/tunnel vision I'm cussing a lot which becomes incoherent noise at the self-injury phase, then weepy/ choked up voice for 10-20 minutes after

raylit20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2012, 4:00 am

izzeme wrote:
i can communicate, if i have to, but it takes up so much energy that it worsens my meltdown.
if i try to communicate, it is only a few words or gestures that mean something like "stay away from me"
This. I have to force myself to talk even though I might not want to at all.

My first meltdown after learning about AS was at an auto show a month ago and I realized just how poorly I act when this happens.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2012, 4:36 am

When I meltdown, I tend to shout and just say whatever comes to my mind and I may throw stuff or slam things or stamp my feet. Then I have no memory of all the hurtful things I have said. Plus I prefer to be left alone because I have a harder time listening when I am in that state of mind.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.