two mistakes/lessons I learned from online dating

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 5:55 am

DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
Venger wrote:
9 out of 10 women are average or below average looking, and they usually think they deserve a super good looking guy too.

You do realize by the very definition of the word average, this is impossible. You know what the word average means don't you?

<----This baby seal is a 10/10 on the cute scale. :rabbit:

By the way I also said "below average" in the first post meaning semi-ugly.

Last edited by Venger on 29 May 2012, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 6:40 am

The thing I learned was to stay away from online dating, or simply to avoid other people at all.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 9:04 am

minervx wrote:
Tough Diamond, posting becoming photos of yourself is not necessarily deception.

Depends on the definition of deception........I would call anything that doctored the truth a deception (though not necessarily a serious one).....the truth in this context would be a random photo, or set of photos. As soon as the "vendor" selects the nicest shot, that's distorting the truth. Where would science be if it was considered OK to fix the data like that? Basically, if you ever use hair dye or mascara, you are lying. You do not really look like that.

Not that I'm equating it with a dangerously dishonest personality, or recommending that anybody really uses a random photo for these things. Everybody else is cheating just the same, like peacocks pretending to be bigger by fanning their tail feathers. I'm just saying don't overdo it. If all goes well, they'll see for themselves what you really look like eventually. You don't want them to be disappointed at that crucial moment.

I'm also saying that I don't like it the way it is. I'd be happier in a world where pathological honesty was revered, where fakes went out of business.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 9:35 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
By stating the obvious?

lol

yea, it's obvious that looks don't matter later in the relationship but you need the damn initial attraction in order to even start one whether it will be good or bad.

Of course but there are other ways of getting initial attraction without having a high degree of aesthetics or having film star looks but that involves having a high social value in a social circle or having extremely good game in a social circle which is going to be unlikely for someone on the spectrum.

Quote:
Just to clarify: i wasn't saying that women do this because they're women, i was saying that women do this because they receive hordes of pms, it's the only feasible possible way. Men would do exactly the same if they receive pms that much.

Exactly, people become more selective when they have a greater selection of choice, it's only natural for them to want the better, if someone took you to a car show room and showed you a line of cars, you'd most likely go for the top end cars. I think if the tables were turned, men would also be selective.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 9:48 am

Wolfheart wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
By stating the obvious?

lol

yea, it's obvious that looks don't matter later in the relationship but you need the damn initial attraction in order to even start one whether it will be good or bad.

Of course but there are other ways of getting initial attraction without having a high degree of aesthetics or having film star looks but that involves having a high social value in a social circle or having extremely good game in a social circle which is going to be unlikely for someone on the spectrum.

Quote:
Just to clarify: i wasn't saying that women do this because they're women, i was saying that women do this because they receive hordes of pms, it's the only feasible possible way. Men would do exactly the same if they receive pms that much.

Exactly, people become more selective when they have a greater selection of choice, it's only natural for them to want the better, if someone took you to a car show room and showed you a line of cars, you'd most likely go for the top end cars. I think if the tables were turned, men would also be selective.

Experiments conducted with speed dating have shown that if women were the ones who had to make the first move, they cared less about social status, income, confidence, "chemistry" and so on, but still cared about looks. So yes, if the tables are turned, women will look for the same criterias as men. The men in the tests (who were passive) cared more about social status, career and all that—and were more likely to reject a woman for other reasons than lack of physical attraction.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 9:58 pm

Wolfheart wrote:
I agree with this as well, looks are good at opening that initial attraction, that's a given, a Lamborghini or even a Volkswagen camper van with a funky paint job is always going to be more eye catching than an old Fiat.

I object!

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 10:01 pm

NicoleG wrote:
Wolfheart wrote:
I agree with this as well, looks are good at opening that initial attraction, that's a given, a Lamborghini or even a Volkswagen camper van with a funky paint job is always going to be more eye catching than an old Fiat.

I object!

it depends. The new Fiats, much like Minis and SMART cars are so different from all the big honkin' vehicles on the US roads that I always notice them..

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 10:05 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Experiments conducted with speed dating have shown that if women were the ones who had to make the first move, they cared less about social status, income, confidence, "chemistry" and so on, but still cared about looks. So yes, if the tables are turned, women will look for the same criterias as men. The men in the tests (who were passive) cared more about social status, career and all that—and were more likely to reject a woman for other reasons than lack of physical attraction.

I always thought the biggest selling point in speed dating was "charisma." Look up Derren Brown - Confidence. That's a great episode to watch when it comes to speed dating tips - of course when the tip is, "Get yourself hypnotized by an expert mind manipulator," then you might be screwed if you don't have one of those in your back pocket.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 9:34 pm

Pretend to be the guy your not to bed the girl , sounds logical to me :wink: