Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Lydia_Jones
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2012, 6:39 am

I haven't got round to watching it yet but lots of people are raving about it... its managed to turn even some of my most girly girl friends so it much be doing something right!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 6:51 pm

I actually read and reviewed the first three books in the series (the book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire) in another thread, so once I did, and found out about the TV show, I became really excited for it. And the TV show didn't disappoint. I have five favourite characters: Jon Snow, Ned Stark, Tyrion Lannister (of course!), Arya Stark, and Daenerys Targaryen. But in the TV show, especial praise does have to go to Peter Dinklage as Tyrion. The best part about Dinklage: he acts the role of Tyrion with gravitas and dignity (except where he's joking or snarking, of course), no mean feat for someone of his height. Tyrion's role could have been problematic if cast wrong, but Dinklage IS Tyrion embodied. And Kit Harington as Jon Snow is pretty good for someone I had never heard of.

I have to admit, they found some excellent child actors for the various children. I heard that Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) is actually a nice kid, and that he actually is very reluctant to utter the expletives in the show. And all the other child actors are better than the norm for child actors. They're all more or less believable.

Of course, I am yet to see anything of the second series (based on A Clash of Kings), but I had been disappointed in the book, which seemed to be more of a state of transition rather than of the political infighting and intrigue of A Game of Thrones. It was still a good book, mind, an excellent book, but it was disappointing compared to the first one.

On sabbatical...

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 7:29 pm

Just got the first 4 books.

It is interesting how the charactersthat everybody likes are the ones that are hated in the books wrold, or going against the grain.. Jon snow is a bastard, Aryan know how to use needle, tyrion is a dwarf

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm

I love this series. My favorite character (odd choice) is Stannis Baratheon.

I kind of identify with him. He is a sharp tongued and scary guy, but a fairly good and decent one underneath his prickly disposition.

He like me felt overshadowed by an older brother, and feels like the brother of the prodigal son.

Coincidentally it seems he also has a touch of the old aspergers!

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 2:24 pm

I would have to agree with the majority here and say that Tyrion Lannister is my favourite character and has been well cast in the series. I love just as much in the series as I do in the books. I also like Jon Snow ans Arya Stark as they are quite strong characters. I think Jack Gleeson (who plays Joffrey) is a remarkable actor to play the revolting little character he plays, he does it so well and it must be difficult. I am currently reading the second book and have only watched the first series, but I hope that Joffrey does get his comeuppance at some point, I look forward to that.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:02 pm

Aspertastic424 wrote:
I love this series. My favorite character (odd choice) is Stannis Baratheon.

I kind of identify with him. He is a sharp tongued and scary guy, but a fairly good and decent one underneath his prickly disposition.

!

He is not good and decent but he is honest and straightforward.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:16 pm

KenM wrote:
I love the books and the show. IMO HBO is doing a great job.

Yes indeed. The motion picture version is necessarily different from the book, but it represents the story as told in the book in an excellent manner. I compare GoT to its printed version. Then I compare the motion picture Lord of the Rings to what Tolkien wrote. Thumbs down on Peter Jackson. His movie made an abortion out of the novel.

ruveyn

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:18 pm

To say I am a fan would really be an understatement. They really manged to do a very good job casting and staying true to the storyline. Its really rather impressive. If you like the series please read the books.

Shatbat wrote:
I just realized how much I miss reading Tyrion's parts. And... damn I can't discuss things of the fifth book, spoilers!

I miss reading the books period...and still no release date for the sixth book!

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 7:10 pm

ASOIAF spoiled me :lol:

I've been reading another fantastic literature series, and even though I can still enjoy it the lack of character depth, realism and consistence is glaring. Next December I'm re-reqding the books for sure!

And my favorites must be the favorites of most; Tyrion, Jon, Arya and Daenerys. I sort of enjoy Cercei, I hate her guts but looking things from her POV is insightful.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 8:10 am

I devoured the first four books, but I learned the hard way to not get too attached to any of the characters. As soon as I can find the money, I plan to watch the series.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 5:31 pm

ASOIAF spoiled me too. I've tried to read other series snce and just end up shrugging my shoulders and suppossing they tried.

I used to feel this way about Tolkien. Like there would never be another series like it and then, BAM, ASOIAF! I wish I could go back and never have read them so I could read them again with all that excitement. Maybe I'll try reading them all over again too. It will never be like the first time though. I'm all about Arya but Jon is a close second. Though Bran was a great surprise. And there is only one Tyrion.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 8:26 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
I devoured the first four books, but I learned the hard way to not get too attached to any of the characters. As soon as I can find the money, I plan to watch the series.

I grok you point completely. The bastards killed Ned! That was a blow. He was not my favorite character but he was the most honest and upright of the lot. And the little twerp Lanister princeling had Ned's head removed. Damn! I want to see that little sh*t die horribly.

ruveyn

horsegurl4190
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2012, 1:59 am

I have never read the books but just this summer I was introduced to the tv show. I think it is absolutely amazing. My favorite character hands down is Daenerys Targaryen. She started out just listening to whatever anyone else told her and then she was just thrown out into the world to figure things out on her own when her brother forced her to marry Khal Drogo. She through all of this became her own person for the first time, she found her true identity. I identify with that in a way. It doesn't hurt the fact she becomes queen to a horse tribe lol. I identify with any tribe or people who are identified as a horse tribe because I myself feel a special connection to horses and have worked with them all my life. I was obsessed with the kingdom of Rohan in Lord of th Rings for this reason too. Let the Do Thraki live on :o

aMuse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2012, 11:51 pm

Mindsigh wrote:

When suggesting this series to anyone, I always include the disclaimer, "Great books, great story. But, do not get attached to anyone... no one is safe!"

George has stated in interviews before that he wrote the story to not have a protagonist, per se. He said that it made a story too predictable, as it can usually be assumed that a protagonist will escape death, and that he wanted to tell a story where no one was safe from harm or death.

Geist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2012, 5:20 am

I couldn't handle all of the sudden, unnecessary and horrible things they did to animals in the first season, I had to have my friends screen it for me and tell me when to fast forward.

Are the books like this or is it just the show?

The show itself is really good, have seen the second season yet though. Should watch it before they remove it from on demand.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 5:26 pm

Shatbat wrote:
ASOIAF spoiled me :lol:

I've been reading another fantastic literature series, and even though I can still enjoy it the lack of character depth, realism and consistence is glaring. Next December I'm re-reqding the books for sure!

And my favorites must be the favorites of most; Tyrion, Jon, Arya and Daenerys. I sort of enjoy Cercei, I hate her guts but looking things from her POV is insightful.

Tyrion, Jon, Arya, and Daenerys are my favorite characters as well. :)

I really hate Joffrey. He strongly reminds me of Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter both in personality and appearance: They are both spoiled, self-centered bullies.