Do you call them all cousins? (Your cousins' kids, etc.)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

What do your call your cousins who aren't your first cousins?
I just call them all cousins 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
I use the genealogy term (second cousin, cousin once-removed, etc.) 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
I use terms such as "my mom's cousin" or "my cousin's child" 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
I don't have any second cousins/cousins-once removed or anything like that 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other/results please 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 8:40 pm

What I mean is do you call people who are your "second cousins", "cousins once-removed", "second cousins once removed" and so on. Do you use the term "cousin once-removed" to refer to people who are "cousins-once removed"? (your parents' cousins or your cousin's kids: http://www.genealogy.com/16_cousn.html)..

I think it can get kind of confusing if you say "I am going to see my third-cousin twice removed next Sunday", but if you just say "I am going to see my cousin on Sunday", people may assume you are referring to your first cousin, or will they?

Just curious.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 8:44 pm

I just call them all cousins, personally. Makes things a lot easier when chatting with them and I've never heard someone use the genealogy term in informal conversations.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 8:46 pm

I just call them by their first name. To be honest I don't really think of them as my cousins but then again I don't really have a close relationship with any of my cousins anyway.

Chipshorter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: The Georgian Quarter of The Pool of Life, The Centre of The Creative Universe

28 May 2012, 9:19 pm

In English, I call them all cousins.

Now in Welsh, its different as there's no gender neutral word of cousin.
Cefnder male cousin and cyfnither female cousin.

For example:
Mae fy nghefnder (enw cyntaf). My (male) cousin (first name).
Mae fy nghyfnither (enw cyntaf). My (female) cousin (first name).

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 12:04 am

I call them all cousins. I just don't care.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 4:41 am

No, I call them second cousin or cousin's son, etc. I think if people use the word 'cousin' for someone who doesn't share a set of grandparents with them are very confusing. In fact, I had a hard time working something out a few weeks ago. My hairdresser's Dad is my cousin (i.e. my Mum and his Dad are siblings). When she (L) was cutting my hair, we were speaking about my Zumba teacher and she said that she was related to her via her cousin. I didn't think about it at the time, but when I came home I was really confused. Her Dad has a sister with 3 kids. Her Mum has no brothers or sisters. So, L only has 3 cousins and she wasn't talking about any of them (and I'm close to those 3 and their Mum so I would have known). I spoke to my Zumba teacher and she said that L was related to her via her sister-in-law M. She said that M says L is her cousin. I'd heard of M before and knew she was in fact L's Mum's cousin. L and M both claim to be cousins and they're second cousins. :?

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 10:03 am

I call my parent's cousins second cousins, but the rest I don't know what to call them, and itay get a bit complicated, so it's probably cousin's relatives or something like that. I don't know, I don't see them enough to decide what to call them.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2012, 12:06 pm

I call them by their names & explain how they're related to me to others who don't know

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition