Do you go to any 'special' educational institutions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 9:33 am

...and what are they like? Not sure exactly whether there are lots of these throughout countries.

Do you think they're helpful? Are you residential?

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2012, 9:51 am

My adviser at the Job Centre recommended a residential college for disabled adults to me and said it would be fully funded, but I've looked at the website and I'm really not sure it's suitable. Most of the courses offered are vocational and seem to focus on customer service, whereas the kind of job I'd like is something predictable, quiet and with minimal contact with the public. Plastering and receptionist duties don't really fit that bill.
I'd probably be more interested if there was a college more specifically for autistic adults, but I don't know if a place like that exists or if it would be funded. When you search for colleges for autistic/Asperger adults on Google, the places that come up are more care homes than colleges and are for severely autistic individuals.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 11:16 pm

I had SED classes all through junior high and high school. The focus was on mainstreaming us high functioners and the SED rooms were kind of a study hall with few distractions but I feel that classmates who knew I had some periods there stigmatized me more than if I'd just gone the 'fake it till you make it' route, but then again that was a while ago.

Temple Grandin did go to a special college but I don't believe it was just for auties

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 May 2012, 4:58 am

not at the moment i am at an academic excellence class but i used to and they are full of cliche.

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2012, 7:15 am

I recall having to be in a few "special" classes in elementary. For some strange reason we got trophies upon completion of them at the end of the year. They weren't for gifteds...that I can tell you for sure. It was communications related...reading/comprehension. but no special school...it was in a public school.

jwhitco_1306
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2012, 8:45 am

i was placed in variouse "specal" living centers as i was growing up i felt as if that was more of a we dont know what to do with you so lets put you here instead of trying to make things better.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 4:37 pm

No, but I rhave ecently been referred to a special organisation that helps people with disabilities and chronic illnesses to obtain a job.
The idea is that future employers (if there are any) hire me on the basis that they know about my aspergers.

I don't know if that's a step forward though. I have my doubts about that and I feel a little humiliated about it. Maybe I just have to get over my pride and make the best of the situation I am in at the moment.

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2012, 6:43 pm

I was very lucky to go to a high school for special needs only students. The Gifford School and it was some of the best times of my life! I would have dropped out if I had to go to a regular high school.
I loved being in a place where everyone had AS,Bi-polar,ADD or similar problems.
Gifford was the only school I ever liked and miss. :D

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 7:52 pm

Technically no. For all practical purposes, yes, during the last two years of high school.

I went to a private school where most of the students had, for some reason or another, been unable to go to any other school. For most of us, that involved disability of one sort or another. Thinking back on it, I can remember only two people in my class (of about seventeen people of different ages) who didn't have some kind of disability; and even they might have had something less obvious.

It was good because we all worked on our own work at our own speed. For me, that was a pretty fast pace, with near-perfect grades; for others, it was much slower. I kept to myself and was occasionally teased, but my lack of understanding of the fact that I was even being teased made me generally a boring target. I finished the school library while I was there. In general it was a decent experience, though I missed out on science labs because of how small the place was and how they were unable to afford lab equipment. I had to bring a computer program to the science fair.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com