Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 10:09 pm

I remember very little - I'm not sure why, I've considered the idea that it may be related to the AS, it may be a result of minor strokes, or some memories I may have repressed. What little I do remember has been memories that have suddenly come back to me in recent years and I've made a point to remember them...however I can't be too sure that they're real memories or not, also what I do remember is often like I'm recalling an event in someone else's life rather than one of my own (I can't remember how I felt, and can only recall details not real memories).

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 10:40 pm

I remember a lot from my childhood, back to before the age of two. I remember settings and routes very clearly, more so than events. I also remember a lot about the things that I did a lot.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 12:03 am

For me, bits and pieces from around age of 2, when I was 4 my parents moved to a house where we stayed for 10 years, so basically more memories starting from those times

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 3:39 am

I remember a lot. Playing records, drawing pictures, writing stories, fantasizing solar systems. Happily alone. Not much has changed except I'm not quite as happy.

EQ: 6.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 4:29 am

I'm in the crowd that doesn't remember much. I have no idea why. I can remember fragments of being overwhelmed but it's hard to believe that it was all so traumatic then that it's all blotted out to me.

I've noticed that being stressed (& depressed) makes it worse. Lately, I've been less stressed/depressed than in many years and I am remembering some more than in many years.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 4:31 am

Yes I can remember my childhood, the earliest memory being about 2. I can remember more as the years went on.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 4:37 am

My first memory's from when I was 9 months old or so. The next really vivid memory I've got is from my 3rd birthday. From then onwards I remember my childhood quite well.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 4:50 am

I can remember every birthday from 10 upwards, and I can remember every Christmas from 11 upwards. I can also vaguely remember my 8th birthday, and a few Christmasses when I was really small, but I can't remember how old I was exactly, just a few vague memories.

I can remember the birthdays and Christmas I can remember by songs. Like my brother got a CD for Christmas when I was 11, and the songs on it were songs that came out that year and so they remind me of when I was 11, and so on.

I can also remember every classroom I had through the years as school.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 5:23 am

Joe90 wrote:

Me too. And where I sat.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 6:04 am

I can remember pictures mostly, and sometimes a few words that are connected to them. My earliest memories come form the age of 2, one is connected to a photographing, so I can identify the age quite accurately. Pictures are scattered throughout my life from that time on. They have been stored in my memory because they must have meant something for me then, a situation, a strong feeling, something important or something that I felt curious about that time. With a few exceptions, I don't remember dates and years well, only vaguely.

I'm sure I can't recall everything at a given time that's been ever stored, there must be a trigger. I also know that playing with memories in your mind can confuse and alter the original memories to an extent as time passes by, but I'm sure my memories are in large part intact.

There's one interesting phenomenon that's somehow connected with my childhood memories. It was rather difficult and mentally stressing to me to go through adolescence and become a grown-up, an adult. Due to this, I guess I cling too much to my early memories, and it is definitely causing a significant part of my problems that I need to work on.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 6:56 am

When I were about 3-4 year old, I remember remembering I got breastfeed(when I were perhaps 6-12 months old) and looked up on my mom smoking, but I also remembered floating in my moms womb, which seem very unlikely, so I guess that is just some images I have seen and somehow confused them with / turned into memories at the young age of 3-4 years, and they've been stuck with me ever since.

The rest of my childhood is just fragments really, perhaps 0.5-2 memories per year, up until I were 8-10 years old, and after that it seems to clear up.

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2012, 7:10 am

Basically, I only remember the bad stuff from childhood. Anything and everything that was traumatic to me...it is burned into my memory, but when my brother or parents retell something neutral or positive from it...I don't have the slightest clue what they are talking about. :shrug:

Martens
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2012, 7:55 am

rebbieh wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Me too. And where I sat.

Yes me too, I actually know everything about the setting of my childhood. Even the map of our house were we moved when I was 3 or 4.
But I don't remember the friends or teachers I had. Or actually any other memory linked to the world outside my head. Is it something that belongs to Aspergers?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 9:18 am

I don't remember many friends because I didn't have many! :lol:
But I can remember all the teachers I had, even at High School where we had different teachers for each lesson. I can remember some of the friends I did speak to, but I doubt they can (or want to) remember me.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 May 2012, 9:46 am

I remember mine more vividly than I remember earlier this morning... And all the way back to infancy. People have debated me on that, but it's 100% true, and I have proven it by remembering things that happened in the presence of others, but that my mother was unaware of, and had those events confirmed as accurate. I remember all kinds of crap that doesn't need remembering; things like the license number AND serial number of the city trash truck when I was a toddler, and was fascinated with it. And I remember weird things like people making baby faces at me when I was being carried in a baby carrier, and how I'd be in terror hoping they wouldn't ask my mother if they could hold me. I HATED THAT!! !! !!

A footnote: The memories from toddlerhood and infancy, are just as clear now as ever, but the memories from teens and twenties are fading. (I'm 45)

Charles

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 10:10 am

yes i do.
i can remember almost everything that ever happened since i came into consciousness (if i try).

i can not be bothered thinking about the past, so i rarely reflect on my childhood, but when i assign my mind to the task of thinking sequentially about everything that happened to me since infancy, i can recall almost everything.

eg: when i was 3, i stuck my head between 2 bannisters on the second floor railing at home, and i could not retrieve it. i remember they smothered vaseline on my head and that did not work, so they had to cut out a bannister beside my head to free me. later on, my mother wanted sweet and sour pork from a chinese restaurant called "wing wah" at north ryde. she also ordered crunchy cold egg noodles from that place that night and they became a favourite dish of mine..............

so not only do i remember hallmark situations, i also remember the mundane peripheral situations that precede and succeed them.

but that it is a futile task, as it prevents me from looking at what is happening now.
whatever happened in the "ago" is not happening now, and in my mind has not much capacity for deriving meaningful data from reflection anyway, so i rarely think about the past except when someone challenges me to remember things.