Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 2:37 pm

Juliana wrote:
Do You Remember Your Childhood?

Most of it, as if it had only recently happened.

Sometimes, when I'm just waking up, I think about how I should get down to the kitchen so I could raid the cereal box for the free toy before my sisters woke up ... but that was 40 to 50 years ago ...

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 3:02 pm

Juliana wrote:
do you recall much of your childhood?

I remember quite a bit from childhood. Most of those memories were after age 5. I have a few memories between ages 3-5. And nothing before that.

I remember having a very difficult childhood. I felt very different than other kids when growing up. I had difficulty establishing relationships with other kids (as a result, I would simply shadow my older brother). And, the teasing and bullying were difficult (when my brother was not around to protect me).

I convinced myself that the situation was a "kid thing". That the other kids just needed to “grow out” of that stage (where kids are mean to one another). And, that once I was an adult, everything would be OK.

Talk about wishful thinking. Ha!

I was recently diagnosed. When I first learned about Aspergers in mid-December 2012, I started a lengthy process of documenting things from my past (both from childhood and adult life) that were consistent with the behavioral symptoms of Aspergers. I went through Baby Books and other similar things to “relive” my childhood.

It was an interesting process. Since, as an adult, I had repressed many of those unpleasant childhood memories. With that being said, the process was therapeutic – as those unpleasant memories are now all explained by my diagnosis.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 3:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
Most of it, as if it had only recently happened.

Sometimes, when I'm just waking up, I think about how I should get down to the kitchen so I could raid the cereal box for the free toy before my sisters woke up ... but that was 40 to 50 years ago ...

LOL. I remember fighting with my sister in the grocery store over the prize in the cereal box (as we were calling “dibs” immediately on seeing the very cool prize). It was a balloon-powered plastic car (forgot which brand of cereal). My mom had to buy two boxes of the cereal, to avoid an all out war in the cereal aisle.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2013, 5:19 pm

I remember very early pieces, most have said I must have imagined them since I would have been only 1-3. I remember being in my grandmother's arms with my favorite blanket when I would have been <6 months, I recently saw a picture at my grandfather's funeral when I was a day old in the same house as I remember, in her arms with that blanket. I also remember when I lived in a camper when I was 6 months - 1 year old, and when my parents bought a trailer and were replacing the kitchen floor, I remember crawling on the plywood/particle board before they put down linoleum and I was under 1 year. I have numerous memories of falling down various stairs as well :). Most of my friends can't even remember school days and they were just 10 years ago.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 7:44 pm

Impressive :)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 May 2013, 9:19 pm

Yes, I can remember my childhood well. Many childhood events seem like only yesterday to me---literally. My earliest memory occurred when I was 6 months old. It was a storm which had produced a tornado near my home. In addition to memories of childhood events, I can also recall certain thoughts going on in my head during certain events of my childhood. I had a happy childhood that was magical in many ways. Many of these memories I can set in motion like a movie being played.