No, but I do pick my skin. 23%  23%  [ 35 ]
No, but I stim in other ways. 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
I don't meet the requirements for participating in this poll. 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 151

T_a_b_o_O
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2012, 7:34 am

I know this is a sensitive matter, since picking your nose is considered taboo for adults in most societies. So I will make a little poll here, and I encourage every adult person with Asperger's(self-diagnosed or official), who has a stimming problem, to vote. Since I am only interested in adult with Asperger's, I hope everyone else will choose the last option to not skew the results.

I do pick my nose, I would rather not, but I can't stop it. If I do not, it itches like crazy. I pick my skin if there are some irregularities, I pick on spots if I get them, on insect bites, if I get a sunburn and my skin starts peeling, I can't help myself, I need to pick. I have scars to prove it, but I wish I didn't. If I see ants, I start to itch, which in turn can lead to more skin-picking.

Since it might be hard to admit you pick your nose as an adult, I suggest you vote anonymously, and rather comment below on skin-picking vs nose-picking, and if there is a connection between the two. And also perhaps if you think picking your nose actually is a stim, or is it just a bad habit?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 7:38 am

I do both, I can't hold back and once I start I can't stop. Sometimes I end up picking the skin on my nose until it bleeds because I've run out of snot. :oops:

DC
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 8:29 am

I pick my nails to the point of ripping the nail out of the nailbed completely and end up bleeding all over the place.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 12:07 pm

Voted. 8O

Moonpenny
Raven
Raven

30 May 2012, 4:29 pm

Interesting questions, I'd never thought of these things as stimming (but I'm newly diagnosed). I don't nose pick but do have the urge to pick my skin. I manage to get on top of it at times, but at others I make myself red and sore; I've even caused small scars and enlarged pores in places. I'm quite relieved to hear that other people do it – it seems such an irrational thing for a grown adult to do! :oops:

Moonpenny
Raven
Raven

30 May 2012, 4:30 pm

Interesting questions, I'd never thought of these things as stimming (but I'm newly diagnosed). I don't nose pick but do have the urge to pick my skin. I manage to get on top of it at times, but at others I make myself red and sore; I've even caused small scars and enlarged pores in places. I'm quite relieved to hear that other people do it – it seems such an irrational thing for a grown adult to do! :oops:

T_a_b_o_O
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2012, 1:40 am

Preliminary results show that 66% of skin-pickers also pick their nose (10 of 15). I know from experience that this topic is too embarrassing to even tell my own psykologist, perhaps thats why I have not read as much about it on the internet. Keep voting people, I love statistics! 8)

T_a_b_o_O
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jun 2012, 9:29 pm

T_a_b_o_O wrote:
Preliminary results show that 66% of skin-pickers also pick their nose (10 of 15). I know from experience that this topic is too embarrassing to even tell my own psykologist, perhaps thats why I have not read as much about it on the internet. Keep voting people, I love statistics! 8)

~71% of skin-pickers also pick their nose (12 of 17) Keep voting, this is just a little bump, since it's not much discussion going on. :D

zeituni
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2012, 1:42 am

I don't pick my nose compulsively, but I do pick the skin around my thumbs, which drives my hubby insane! :D

nonneurotypical
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2012, 3:33 pm

I never thought of picking at skin as stimming. Hmm... I guess I am more inclined to stimming than I thought.

My wife hates when she sees me doing it. It doesn't help that my skin has always been very dry. Keratosis pilaris doesn't help the situation either. Does anyone else here have it (small bumps that look like "goose bumps" on the back of the upper arms)? A dermatologist told me it is genetic (he also told me it is correlated with high intelligence, but I think he was just joking).

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 10:42 pm

nonneurotypical wrote:
I never thought of picking at skin as stimming. Hmm... I guess I am more inclined to stimming than I thought.

My wife hates when she sees me doing it. It doesn't help that my skin has always been very dry. Keratosis pilaris doesn't help the situation either. Does anyone else here have it (small bumps that look like "goose bumps" on the back of the upper arms)? A dermatologist told me it is genetic (he also told me it is correlated with high intelligence, but I think he was just joking).

yes, I get that sometimes, so I asked my doctor & she said to have some fish-oil every morning. I don't like it, tastes bad, but my skin has definitely improved.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 5:28 am

I've got the nose-picking mostly under control. When it itches like mad, pinch it and rub. It helps (or anyway it helps me).

I can manage not to pick at scabs in public. Most of the time.

I have to wear socks at other people's houses to keep from picking my toenails.

I keep my nails really, really short. It helps with nose-picking and fingernail-picking.

I chew my cuticles compulsively. I've given up trying to do anything about it. I figure, it beats the hell out of sucking my thumb. :roll: :lol:

AlmightyPamcakes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2012, 6:57 pm

I don't pick my nose or skin to stim. I do pull my hair out, bounce my foot, and flap my hands. This (hair pulling) started when I was in elementary school. I didn't know why I was doing it at the time, and I wanted it to stop. I'd gone through so many meds it wasn't even funny. In most cases, they made the hair pulling worse. It had gotten so bad I'd gotten bald spots (even made fun of). As a result, I'd hang out with very few of my classmates and at "inside recess" would hang out with the class pets instead.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 11:37 pm

I have always twisted my hair,it's one of my earliest memories.I never knew anyone else who did this.I like to read and do it.I don't really have the urge to pick my nose unless there is something that needs picking.But I do pick the skin on my feet,if there is any dry skin I'm gonna pull it or pick it.I have done this to where it was painful and almost bleeding.At least shoes cover this up.I also pick at scabs and bite the corners of my fingers.When I was young and at school I would bite my fingernails to the quick,it was the most socially accepted way of dealing with stress.It's most likely the reason I always had a sore throat ,all those germs.

T_a_b_o_O
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2012, 7:27 am

T_a_b_o_O wrote:
~71% of skin-pickers also pick their nose (12 of 17) Keep voting, this is just a little bump, since it's not much discussion going on. :D

~70% of skin-pickers also pick their nose (26 of 37). It's nice to see the number is steady as more and more vote. I will walk away from this poll with the assumption that 70% of all skin-pickers actually do pick their nose. Thanks for voting, don't stop now, keep it going! :)

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 9:27 pm

T_a_b_o_O wrote:
I know this is a sensitive matter, since picking your nose is considered taboo for adults in most societies. So I will make a little poll here, and I encourage every adult person with Asperger's(self-diagnosed or official), who has a stimming problem, to vote. Since I am only interested in adult with Asperger's, I hope everyone else will choose the last option to not skew the results.

I do pick my nose, I would rather not, but I can't stop it. If I do not, it itches like crazy. I pick my skin if there are some irregularities, I pick on spots if I get them, on insect bites, if I get a sunburn and my skin starts peeling, I can't help myself, I need to pick. I have scars to prove it, but I wish I didn't. If I see ants, I start to itch, which in turn can lead to more skin-picking.

Since it might be hard to admit you pick your nose as an adult, I suggest you vote anonymously, and rather comment below on skin-picking vs nose-picking, and if there is a connection between the two. And also perhaps if you think picking your nose actually is a stim, or is it just a bad habit?

Bad habit. Usually because mucus hardens in my nose and annoys the living day lights out of me .

Of course, we all know that "You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose." :twisted: