Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 2:00 pm

There IS a difference between not being able to do it, and being slow.

HECK, apparantly a LOT of people have problems with such things. And YEP, I was one of them. That doesn't seem to be what American Scientific is talking about though.

Yeah, I DO have empathy. These days there is a STRONG cynicism that sometimes takes over because too many have trid to take advantage of my sympathy. People (Even a RICH one with a GOOD education, GOOD job, in a GOOD area (Ever hear of BEVERLY HILLS?) ) used to complain about their lousy life, and my great one. I showed that rich guy about how he lived in a NICE home(Over 1 million, which was 3 times the average upper middle class home in the area at the time), and I rented, HE had a nice support system with a father that was a good lawyer, and a mother that was a high priced real estate agent, a good family, and I didn't, about how he would get paid at least what I did but had fewer concerns, etc.... About how his car was just as good as mine, and I was still paying and he wasn't, etc.... At the end, he seemed to be trying to make me feel super bad about my life, and I left angry. The last person I helped out financially it turns out spent a LOT of money on a filthy hobby, and went to mutual friends asking for MORE money. Another parasite yelled out "Ask steve, HE'll help!". I just lost it, and stated the truth about both of them. Anyway, outside of things like that, I certainly have empathy.

Steve

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 3:11 pm

SteveK wrote:
WOW Steelmaiden!

And I thought I had it bad! If *I* was forced to read one of those stupid books, I would feel like THROWING IT at her! I remember a couple of those books, but the ones I remember were early on and on my terms. I DID once go through a vocabulary book and, when the teacher found out, she had me erase everything, and go at THEIR pace. I don't even remember their attempting to teach me to read until I was in the first grade. Luckily, I didn't have to wait. Heck, I was reading SCHEMATICS(high level electronic diagrams of a sort) by the time most people were reading.

Basically, they forced me to squandor a lot of time and ability at a time when I was in the best condition. It was like putting a normal person into a ret*d class!

I guess I should be happy I spent the early years in mostly private schools, and I had good preocupations, etc... that helped elsewhere,

Steve

It is terrible how teachers want to "normalise" everybody. IT'S SICK AND IT MAKES ME VERY, VERY ANGRY.

I still have the doctor telling me that I should study theoretical physics (which is still very interesting in itself, but not as interesting and as money-grabbing as medicine!) and telling me that I will "fail doing a medical degree". B*tch.

I moved out of my first (rubbish) primary school after two years, and went promptly into a gifted school (thank you Mum!), which was amazing; I was accelerated in every subject; when I came to secondary school, I spent the first two years re-learning most of what I did in that primary school!

Now I am partaking in several mathematics seminars, classes and challenges thanks to my school. My secondary school was the top in the UK at the time of joining over 5 years ago. It has helped me a great deal.

Every cloud has a silver lining, remember!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 4:07 pm

Steelmaiden,

LUCKY!! ! BTW anyone that understands the way people learn(most DON'T) KNOWS that there is one thing true of EVERYONE!! !! !! !

A SIMPLE boring task that requires some sort of skill/practice/knowledge may be relatively HARD to learn!

A COMPLEX FUN task is almost always EASY to learn!

Enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder. Some may see flipping hamburgers as fun, others may see complex calculus as fun.

In otherwords, if you are of average intelligence, or perhaps a little dumber, and you LOVE the health field, you may do FANTASTIC! If you are a GENIUS, and really don't care, you may FAIL!

Another thing too. Unless you are a perfectionist, you will NOT remain a good doctor unless you LOVE the industry.

SIMPLE! If your doctors don't know that simple little fact, they are QUACKS! You certainly shouldn't listen to that garbage!

Steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 4:08 pm

BTW are you into computers, just trying to be unique/funny, or what? I'm referring to the powers of 2 sig line!

Steve

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 5:38 pm

SteveK wrote:
Steelmaiden,

LUCKY!! ! BTW anyone that understands the way people learn(most DON'T) KNOWS that there is one thing true of EVERYONE!! !! !! !
A SIMPLE boring task that requires some sort of skill/practice/knowledge may be relatively HARD to learn!
A COMPLEX FUN task is almost always EASY to learn!
Enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder. Some may see flipping hamburgers as fun, others may see complex calculus as fun.
In otherwords, if you are of average intelligence, or perhaps a little dumber, and you LOVE the health field, you may do FANTASTIC! If you are a GENIUS, and really don't care, you may FAIL!
Another thing too. Unless you are a perfectionist, you will NOT remain a good doctor unless you LOVE the industry.
SIMPLE! If your doctors don't know that simple little fact, they are QUACKS! You certainly shouldn't listen to that garbage!

Steve

Steve

Complex fun tasks always make me happy. I notice that girls in my class enjoy doing complex fun tasks in physics, although in maths they struggle on the blatantly easy sums, let alone the complex ones!
When I look at complex calculus, I get a little rush inside. I am having my "maths cravings" right now, but I have to do a few things on the computer first!
I do care about my work, and I am perfectionistic to the point that I can include it as one of my obsessions.
I don't listen to my doctor all the time, except when she is advising me about AS or (most of the time) helping me with my weight re-gain.

Steel :mrgreen: :jester:

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 5:39 pm

SteveK wrote:
BTW are you into computers, just trying to be unique/funny, or what? I'm referring to the powers of 2 sig line!

Steve

I am into computers and maths at the same time. The binary/hexadecimal thing fascinates me. I adore HTML and its colour codes!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 6:34 pm

Yeah,

It IS funny how the brain can compensate so much, etc... yet you can STILL have deficits, etc... So have you talked to the girls in the class about how they see things in that area?

YEAH, I wanted to get to LOVE math, but sadly am not NEARLY as good as I should be. Oh well, it seems like MANY have more trouble than I do. Still, I would rather compare myself under an absolute reference of where I think I should be, rather than where many others are, at least when my goal is higher.

Throughout school I couldn't do what I wanted, and later I just worked on other things. Today I am trying to get a bit better.

Steve

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 4:46 pm

SteveK wrote:
Yeah,

It IS funny how the brain can compensate so much, etc... yet you can STILL have deficits, etc... So have you talked to the girls in the class about how they see things in that area?

YEAH, I wanted to get to LOVE math, but sadly am not NEARLY as good as I should be. Oh well, it seems like MANY have more trouble than I do. Still, I would rather compare myself under an absolute reference of where I think I should be, rather than where many others are, at least when my goal is higher.

Throughout school I couldn't do what I wanted, and later I just worked on other things. Today I am trying to get a bit better.

Steve

Hey Steve,
I think that people with deficits always have something amazing about themselves, whether it is outward intelligence, or something deep inside. Have you heard about the totally blind people who can find their way around a maze? It's amazing.
Maths is a skill that has extremes of ability related to it.
School can suck if you aren't "allowed" to reach your potential. If I were to have a child, I would push for him/her to go to the very best (in terms of nurturing) school possible.
Steel.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 6:22 pm

SteelMaiden,

Yep, I fully understand that. If I had a child, I would try to home school him/her. If I couldn't, I would try to play games, etc... to help it. I bet I could fit 20-30% more even in the later grades with LESS effort. Earlier grades are wasted, so you could do FAR better.

And the brain really IS like a muscle. Ironically, NEITHER is supposed to have its base structure grow, or substantially get repaired. They also have the same basic chemicals involved in many things, and get more capability. Yet OBVIOUSLY more work provides more capability and makes future work easier. ALSO, the earlier you start, the better and the easier the improvement!

When I think of what a waste school is, MAN! A lot of 3rd grade goals should be met in KINDERGARTEN! A sophmores in highschool should do better than sophmores in college now.

Heck, a number of scientists claim the brain starts to kind of self destruct around 12 years of age. It is almost like having a HIGH SPEED network of two computers up to 12, and then around 12 the networks get slower, and the computers can no longer be expanded.

Doesn't it make sense to use the early time to acheive as much as possible?

Steve

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2006, 7:09 pm

Looking back at elementary school - it's ridiculous on how much they hold you back and how slow they are on teaching you stuff.

I remember in 3rd grade, I'd found a book about Einstein's Theory of Relativity and a lot of related stuff, and I understood all of the concepts in it after a few days - while our class was being taught two digit multiplication.
The next year, I'd found an old computers book, and I immediately understood the concepts (and this was one of the more in-depth ones, actually talked about how the processor worked and had lots of diagrams of electrical circuitry - I highly doubt many, if any at all, of my friends in high school now would understand much of it) and I got attached to the programming section. A few weeks later I was programming in PowerBASIC, and had an excellent idea of variables and structured formulas - while my 4th grade class was learning long division. It wasn't until around 7th grade we were taught those.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 7:38 pm

BTW I have been told by MANY that I am a good teacher. You won't catch ME teaching the same thing 50 times to the same person. I will also modify my speech to fit the person. And WHO KNOWS? Maybe if I was teaching an ADD/HFA/AS child he or she would pay more attention! I know I would have paid more attention, and done better if the teacher didn't talk down to me, and "teach" me the same thing over and over. With Vocabulary, they should have adaptive programs that test individually. We ARE past the 1970s! They invented a GREAT product called THE COMPUTER! Let's USE IT!

I'm sorry, but NOBODY is going to have the same vocabulary. We only appear to because we read the same basic things and learned vocabulary from that. I learned words in the 60s and 70s maybe NONE of you will ever know. The same is true of you. So spending time "teaching" a basic vocabulary doesn't make sense, A computer could test and go OK, you know THAT, let's give you NEW stuff! Maybe at the end of the month, yu could be retested, etc...

Steve

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 3:58 pm

SteveK wrote:
SteelMaiden,

Yep, I fully understand that. If I had a child, I would try to home school him/her. If I couldn't, I would try to play games, etc... to help it. I bet I could fit 20-30% more even in the later grades with LESS effort. Earlier grades are wasted, so you could do FAR better.

And the brain really IS like a muscle. Ironically, NEITHER is supposed to have its base structure grow, or substantially get repaired. They also have the same basic chemicals involved in many things, and get more capability. Yet OBVIOUSLY more work provides more capability and makes future work easier. ALSO, the earlier you start, the better and the easier the improvement!

When I think of what a waste school is, MAN! A lot of 3rd grade goals should be met in KINDERGARTEN! A sophmores in highschool should do better than sophmores in college now.

Heck, a number of scientists claim the brain starts to kind of self destruct around 12 years of age. It is almost like having a HIGH SPEED network of two computers up to 12, and then around 12 the networks get slower, and the computers can no longer be expanded.

Doesn't it make sense to use the early time to acheive as much as possible?

Steve

The brain is a fantastulrich (weird hybrid German word that I made up) organ - I feed it with all the "brain foods" I can think of.

Learning things before 12 is a good idea - I crammed a lot of languages and mathematics into my brain before I turned 12.

Can you believe that some double-figure (I cannot remember the actual number) percent of teenagers cannot read or write well when they finish their GCSEs?

:evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x

I wish that I had been homeschooled for my education, or, even better, that my primary school (for the gifted) extended to secondary education.

This standard-ised curriculum is RUBBISH.

We don't even get told HOW some reactions work in AS Level; we are told "that is beyond the A-Level course". WTF...! !!???

The food at my school is good, but some foods that they feed the kids there... chocolate cake with chocolate sauce and ice-cream, all in one go! And the kids eat the batter on the fish! Don't they realise they're ruining their brains by doing this? One of the reasons why kids are so amok these days is because of their diet. They eat rubbish. Some girls in my year drink coffee for breakfast. Idiots!

You have an excellent attitude to things, I must say though.

If I could, I would introduce a boarding school for the highly gifted. It would teach them A-Levels before they even reach GCSE age, because I know, that if you push a highly gifted child (gently, but firmly) in the right direction, they could be entering Uni at the age of 15!

Argh. Education. The government has DESTROYED it.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 5:29 pm

Steel maiden,

I wish I could have loaded up on math and languages like you. Ya know, I didn't even remember that I studied some spanish when I was in the earlier grades. I was kind of exploring my memories, and I found that. I ALSO found out about the teacher, I didn't like her, and she "taught" little once a week. I didn't find it worthwhile.

Yeah, I was once in a church that had a LOT of 1-3 grade teachers. They ALL thought that it was dumb to teach kids to read, because it was too stressful. HECK, just show them all the enjoyment and info they can get that is easily obtained ONLY from READING! You can't even wathc a movie, or listen to a tape, because you may mishear, or have trouble reviewing. MOST may WANT to learn, and FIGHT to learn! That is what did it with ME! I hate to say it! Harry potter is NOT unique! It followed a standard story! It is on here now, and daygon alley started to sound like portabelo road(that was more of an alley) in bedknobs and broomsticks! But one thing it DID do was encourage MANY to read! Maybe they can push that. As I recall, they still have 2 books that are NOT movies yet!

As for the diet. Yeah, I'm going to have to stop with that stuff. I don't drink coffee at least.

Anyway, the problems you talk about are in the US ALSO! It's SAD!

And some of them think Autistics are stupid! That's RICH!

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone could have DOUBLED their intelligence. IMAGINE a world where intelletual pursuits are treasured over financial ones, and the average person had what today would be considered a 200 IQ! One where even most of the "idiots" were what is now viewed as normal! I don't know about britain, but the US unions pretty much insure that won't happen.

Steve

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 2:35 pm

SteveK wrote:
Steel maiden,

I wish I could have loaded up on math and languages like you. Ya know, I didn't even remember that I studied some spanish when I was in the earlier grades. I was kind of exploring my memories, and I found that. I ALSO found out about the teacher, I didn't like her, and she "taught" little once a week. I didn't find it worthwhile.

Yeah, I was once in a church that had a LOT of 1-3 grade teachers. They ALL thought that it was dumb to teach kids to read, because it was too stressful. HECK, just show them all the enjoyment and info they can get that is easily obtained ONLY from READING! You can't even wathc a movie, or listen to a tape, because you may mishear, or have trouble reviewing. MOST may WANT to learn, and FIGHT to learn! That is what did it with ME! I hate to say it! Harry potter is NOT unique! It followed a standard story! It is on here now, and daygon alley started to sound like portabelo road(that was more of an alley) in bedknobs and broomsticks! But one thing it DID do was encourage MANY to read! Maybe they can push that. As I recall, they still have 2 books that are NOT movies yet!

As for the diet. Yeah, I'm going to have to stop with that stuff. I don't drink coffee at least.

Anyway, the problems you talk about are in the US ALSO! It's SAD!

And some of them think Autistics are stupid! That's RICH!

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone could have DOUBLED their intelligence. IMAGINE a world where intelletual pursuits are treasured over financial ones, and the average person had what today would be considered a 200 IQ! One where even most of the "idiots" were what is now viewed as normal! I don't know about britain, but the US unions pretty much insure that won't happen.

Steve

Steve,

I bet you that if you carry on searching your memory, you will find something amazing that you did when you were younger. Don't feel jealous of me. It doesn't come just by snapping my fingers. That's what I say to everyone who asks me why I do well at school; I work like hell. That is why I only come on these forums around once or twice a week (twice if I'm lucky).

I hate teachers who teach so slowly and treat you like a child. I saw some maths that a year seven was doing in the library; IT IS IN AN INSULT TO THEIR INTELLIGENCE. I MEAN, SECONDARY SCHOOL AND:
3p + 2 = 5
£*&£%&£(*$£$%@£~%:£@

I DID THAT WHEN I WAS SEVEN FOR GOD'S SAKE AND THEY MADE ME DO THAT TOO IN YEAR SEVEN.

I haven't properly participated in a mathematics class since primary school, and even in primary school, I did extra work most of the time.

The teachers thought that READING WAS TOO STRESSFUL?!?!?! It's SICK.

I would read books to BABIES and show them the words as I read them. I would teach my kid to read as early as possible. Perhaps when they start developing a vocabulary. I would encourage my kid to draw as much as possible when she's (or he to be PC) young. I would send her to the gifted school that I went to and I would homeschool her for secondary school, unless a gifted secondary school suddenly appears in London. Because even the school that I go to, which topped the league tables, is too simple in some areas, ESPECIALLY in the first couple of years. I spent the whole time feeling insulted.

However, one good thing that is happening is that I might be able to take a further mathematics A Level without having to attend the lessons i.e. teach myself. The school are going to discuss it next Monday. Most of the maths that I know I have taught myeslf anyway. The teachers know that I can do it, its just a question of the timetabling, support and the examining board (if they will accept me early). HOPEFULLY IT WILL WORK OUT.

Autistics are stupid? WTF AMERICAN GOVERNMENT. In the UK Asperger's Syndrome people and Autistic Savants are portrayed as amazing anoraks who can recite pi to thousands of decimal places, and know encyclopedias off by heart...! Well, at least that's what I've heard.

I wish that I could have gone to a gifted secondary school... I WISH THAT I COULD HAVE GONE TO UNI EARLY. THEORETICAL CHEMISTRY/PHYSICS.... MY DREAM.

Steel Maiden :wink:

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 3:02 pm

Steel maiden,

Those saying autistics are stupid are thinking of how LFAs are perceived. People like the one portrayed in rainman are NOW known as autistic savants. Before that, they were called idiot savants. Before that, just IDIOTS! There was NO thought about aspergers. I wish there was.

As for being jealous of you? HEY, I can still be jealous. That doesn't mean I am not using my spare time to improve things, and NOT just math either. HECK, I even got a set of cards "600 facts every smart person should know", and I am going through them all. It tests a number of things including math. I'm doing pretty well. If nothing else, it is a nice way to pass the time, and maybe learn something. I'm also going through some sites on the internet, etc... I guess I wasn't quite as bad off as I thought. Still, I probably couldn't hold a candle to you in math. Maybe next year though!

As for teaching myself? A lot of this stuff wouldn't have been easy for me to get. NOW it is easy! It seems like it is everywhere to some degree. THEN, it wasn't.

anoraks?

BTW on another board, someone spoke about how they asked the schools to do something for AS people. I said:

AS kids don't REALLY need special treatment, just CORRECT treatment!

1. Stop the bullies! Even columbine might have been caused because of THEIR utter incompetence! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_ ... l_massacre

2. Teach the STUDENT, not the class! If the student knows the subject, give them ANOTHER!

3. Honor personal space within reason.

4. provide a COMFORTABLE working environment. No loud noises, shrill sounds, flashing lights, etc....

5. Don't force needless subjects on him/her.

If they did those 5 things, EVERYONE would be better off. Because it means janitors my need to do more work, they have to change some things, and teachers will have to actually WORK(GASP), they won'tlisten.

A LOT of the teachers work could be alleviated by merely having programmed instruction. Maybe then theycan do something that requires a person.

Steve

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 3:08 pm

SteveK wrote:
Steel maiden,

Those saying autistics are stupid are thinking of how LFAs are perceived. People like the one portrayed in rainman are NOW known as autistic savants. Before that, they were called idiot savants. Before that, just IDIOTS! There was NO thought about aspergers. I wish there was.

As for being jealous of you? HEY, I can still be jealous. That doesn't mean I am not using my spare time to improve things, and NOT just math either. HECK, I even got a set of cards "600 facts every smart person should know", and I am going through them all. It tests a number of things including math. I'm doing pretty well. If nothing else, it is a nice way to pass the time, and maybe learn something. I'm also going through some sites on the internet, etc... I guess I wasn't quite as bad off as I thought. Still, I probably couldn't hold a candle to you in math. Maybe next year though!

As for teaching myself? A lot of this stuff wouldn't have been easy for me to get. NOW it is easy! It seems like it is everywhere to some degree. THEN, it wasn't.

anoraks?

Steve

Steve,

"Anorak" is an English term for geeks or nerds. I love nerds. I want my boyfriend to be a nerd... Hahahaha. :)

I am angry and upset that Asperger's was not recognised earlier. In my Centigrade test (a test that is multiple choice and it assesses what university degree and job could be most suitable for the person taking it), I wrote in the "illnesses" section that I had Asperger's Syndrome, just to see what would happen. :) It will be a while before I get the results though.

Get all the smart material that you can find. And mental maths is good. Do a few multiplying double-figure numbers to each other every morning (or evening, depending on when your brain is most awake).

The good thing nowadays is that females are said to be just as intelligent as males... In the past I wouldn't have had a chance and I would be either knitting, playing piano, painting, singing and dancing, or I would have been hiding in my father's huge library of science books. And then I would become the controversial science-woman of the Victorian ages! Hah!

I want more apples... I've had three so far.

Steel Maiden. :D