A genetic disease of the malabsorption of gluten and starch?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ilan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2012, 3:23 pm

Ranking of the best foods to the worst according to starch content and protein content

----------------------grams--Protein(g)---Starch(g)----Ratio P/S
Tomato---------------100------0,91--------0,03----------30
Almonds--------------100------20----------0,71----------28
Cherry tomato--------100------0,8----------0,03---------27
Dried apricots---------100------2,5----------0,1----------25
hazelnuts-------------100-------11----------0,93---------12
kernels----------------100------12,8---------1,5-----------8
Peanuts---------------100------24,5---------3,3-----------7
Pistachios-------------100------23,7---------3,6-----------6,6
Zucchini---------------100------0,64---------0,1-----------6,4
Brussels sprouts-------100------1,9----------0,3-----------6,3
Dried exotic fruit drink-100------2,5-----------1-----------2,5
Celeriac c---------------100------0,96--------0,6----------1,6
Dried figs---------------100------2,8----------1,9----------1,47
Chocolate 70%---------100------7,8----------5,3----------1,47
Cashews----------------100-----18,9---------14,2----------1,3
Carrot------------------100------0,6----------0,5-----------1,2
Dried Raisin--------- ---100------2,6----------2,7----------0,96
Bean c------------------100------5,8----------6,2----------0,93
peas--------------------100-------4-----------5,5----------0,73
Green beans c----------100------1,34---------2,2----------0,6
Lens c------------------100-------8,2---------16,2---------0,5
flageolet----------------100------4,1----------8.,6---------0,47
Chickpea----------------100------6,5---------15,8---------0,41
Pruneau-----------------100------1,5---------5,1----------0,29
Sweet corn--------------100------2,8-------- 13,7---------0,20
Banana------------------100-----1,09---------5,38--------0,20
Chestnut puree----------100-----2,85---------18---------0,15
Potato c-----------------100------2-----------17,2--------0,12
Chestnut----------------100-----3,17----------32---------0,099
White rice---------------100------2,3---------26,9--------0,085
Rice c--------------------100-----2,4----------28,7--------0,084

c=cooked

Gluten is added in chocolate and dried Figs by industrial, take care, there are gluten-free chocolate.
Amaranth is perfect, Quinoa not bad.

My observations are still the same, gluten is terrible because it reaches the view and comprehension. Milk give the same effects. The starch symptoms are differents, During my diet, i ate one day, only rice morning, noon and evening, a huge amount, i were in a very bad state, It's correlated to 100 percent because symptoms depends of that factor regardless of the food.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

If I nixed the oats and corn, that would ave me with virtually nothing to eat.

Ilan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2012, 11:22 am

I also react to vitamin B5, which give temperature on the skin surface of the figure. It blurred vision like gluten. It seems to be the last responsive element.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:51 am

Starch and sugar seem to be a problem for me. I cut out all flours, potatoes and refined sugar several years ago, and my moods are better, fewer meltdowns, less depression and sensory issues and my weight is easier to control, too. I've tried reintroducing them several times and I feel like I have PMS when I eat them: bloated, cranky and anxious. My vision blurs, too. I don't really think gluten is a problem, though. I eat seitan once in a while and that doesn't seem to cause any symptoms.

Pompei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2012, 4:23 pm

I am currently experimenting with a ketogenic diet. I do not really expect any difference but what the hey.

The ketogenic diet actually has proven medical effects. It was developed in the 1920s to treat seizures and was found to be effective in eliminating or reducing seizures in about one-third of cases. It is a high fat, high protein, very low carb diet. It simulates the type of metabolism of nutrients that occurs during starvation.

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/treatm ... genic_diet

Normally the body will breakdown starch and sugars into glucose and use the glucose for energy. If glucose is not available the body will break down fats into ketones and the body will use the ketones for energy. The curious thing is the ketone use in your brain affects brain chemistry. So there is science behind the ketogenic diet. I have no idea if the effects will be noticeable.

Since gluten is a carb with a lot of calories a ketogenic diet is also a gluten free diet. I do not believe a gluten free diet, in itself, has any effect unless you have celiac disease or are allergic to gluten.

So I am giving the ketogenic a try to see what, if anything, happens. I am two days into it and so far I feel no different. I do not have high expectations but it seems like a benign experiment if your health is good.`

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 4:28 pm

Pompei wrote:
Since gluten is a carb with a lot of calories...`

:?

Gluten is a protein. Maybe you mean wheat?

Pompei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2012, 6:00 pm

Nonperson wrote:
Pompei wrote:

I stand corrected you are right; I was sloppy the way I wrote my post. If you are not eating bread or products made from wheat then you will not be eating gluten. I guess gluten is also added to some foods, I never really paid much attention. The diet I am on uses fresh meats and fish, a lot of nuts, avocados, and some other fresh fruits and vegetables in small quantities. I use olive oil and avoid all bread, rice, corn meal, oats etc. I am sure it is gluten free since I am avoiding all processed foods as well but the point of my diet is as stated above: to burn ketones instead of glucose..

Thanks for your correction.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 4:03 am

Pompei wrote:
Nonperson wrote:
Pompei wrote:

I stand corrected you are right; I was sloppy the way I wrote my post. If you are not eating bread or products made from wheat then you will not be eating gluten. I guess gluten is also added to some foods, I never really paid much attention. The diet I am on uses fresh meats and fish, a lot of nuts, avocados, and some other fresh fruits and vegetables in small quantities. I use olive oil and avoid all bread, rice, corn meal, oats etc. I am sure it is gluten free since I am avoiding all processed foods as well but the point of my diet is as stated above: to burn ketones instead of glucose..

Thanks for your correction.
Gluten is found not only found in wheat. It's found in barley, rye, spelt and some other grains, so it's much more than just wheat products that need to be avoided, to avoid gluten. It's also kind of hidden, in the form of thickeners, etc in many processed foods and most soy sauces contain it (use tamari instead, to avoid it). It can also be a contaminant in oats (as wheat and oats are usually milled in the same place).

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2012, 8:53 am

Unless you have celiac disease cutting out gluten has been proven time and again to be nonsense.
But clearly there is always the placebo effect!
As long as you BELIEVE something works, your brain will work with you a little on that.

But in actuality; don't bother!

The Broad Autism Phenotype Test: You scored 132 aloof, 126 rigid and 132 pragmatic. IQ: 139. AQ: 45/50

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2012, 9:33 am

Those 'bad' foods make up the majority of my diet.... Although the placebo effect has been proven to be effective time and time again and I am eager to experiment
I'm trying to think what I would actually eat if all that was deleted from my diet. Some days all I eat are a couple pieces of white bread and a few weetbix with nothing on them :/

Anybody got any recipes?

Ilan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2012, 6:21 am

If i drink carrot juice or carrots i no react to starch or vitamin B5 !
I didn't tried with gluten.

Ilan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2012, 7:59 am

The positive element is the selenium, it also helps gluten effects.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 9:04 am

bnky wrote:
Callista wrote:
Seventeen-year-olds are supposed to have finished growing.

Hah! No - I grew an inch at 39... Then again that was after I moved a LOT closer to a pole. Anyone else had this happen?

Moving closer to the pole theoretically would have the opposite effect as gravity is a tiny bit stronger on the poles than on the Equator due to being a little bit closer to the center of the planet and having no effect of centrifugal force.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 11:19 am

Well, I'm not autistic, but I am a celiac, and I feel like I have developed many autistic qualities as a young adult. I don't believe I have been a celiac my entire life, I suspect it happened when I got severly depressed, about 12 years ago. It's still far too soon for me to know how much being gluten and dairy free will help me mentally, it's only been 2 months, (I may go fully grain free yet, we'll see how I go), but I'm seriously hoping I will mentally be much more like my old self of 12+ years ago when my intestines heal.

It's most certainly not only the case that gluten affects celiacs though. Gluten intolerance, where one has symptoms of celiac disease but no villous atrophy, is an official, proper, medical diagnosis. There's really explanation of it yet, and no diagnosis beyond self-diagnosis of elimination diet, (yeah placebo, but there's just far too much research out there for even the medical community to say it's all placebo) although I strongly suspect it's just a variation of a celiac's immune response.

If anyone really wants to see if gluten affects you in any way, shape or form, you may be in for a long haul. Me, even with pretty badly damaged intestines, still hasn't noticed a whole lot of difference after 2 whole months, and this is fully clean, no cross-contamination or traces (that I know of.) And I would highly, highly recommend that if you go gluten free, you *fully* go gluten free. Antibodies usually remain elevated for months after eating gluten. No almosts or cheating or restaurants or washing your dishes with a cloth that was used to wash a cake pan or using your same old toaster, etc. I'd give it minimum a month.

As to the symptoms of celiac disease, they're, well, pretty much anything and everything. Any sort of digestive issue could be a symptom, as could any sort of mood disorder, fatigue, memory problems, concentration problems, pain/tingling in your limbs, dizziness, kidney problems...you name it, it's probably a symptom! I've read from people who got visual disturbances from it, and that it can cause schizophrenia. These types of things can be explained by the very poor intestinal barrier celiacs have, so things which would otherwise never get into your bloodstream or cross through the blood brain barrier, could cause a lot of unusual issues.
Heh, it seems sometimes that the best indication of it is to have doctors tell me you you're fine after checking off just about the entire sheet of blood and urine tests, (slightly low in iron for me only) and they all show up alright, but you still don't feel fine.

While I don't think going gluten free can cure autism, I do believe that celiac disease or gluten or any other sort of food that somehow ends up or causes inflammation in the brain where it shouldn't be, can cause autism-type symptoms. Furthermore, research does show that autistics, for whatever reason, have a 10% higher chance of having celiac disease than the rest of the population.

Ilan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2012, 8:32 am

Vitamin B6 has also a huge positive effect on symptoms.

Ilan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2012, 9:44 am

Moreover, Iodine has a bad effect, it encloses.
Calcium is positive.