Why are almost all political parties hypocritical in this ?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

We have hierarchy, most likely because of the division of labor. You can hold absolutist ideals about property rights and ending taxes, but when push comes to shove, I think we should use taxes to make sure people don't starve to death and aren't dying from treatable disease. Maybe we should stop taxes altogether, but as long as they keep collecting them, they should use it for causes that actually helps people, like education and social safety netting. I'd also have to ask why someone would be wanting to steal my stuff in the first place. If there's a scarcity of resources, and they can't get their own food, then that might be why they're trying to steal mine. Me shooting them or them shooting me may help resolve the scarcity, since less people would be around who have needs to be met after that type of conflict resolution, but I don't think that's a very sane solution.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 8:31 am

Every single ideology wants to force someone to do something, even libertarianism and Objectivism, which are both "ewww government" and "ewww force" based ideologies do want to force people to adhere to things they value. For instance, both of the mentioned ideologies are against use of what they deem "unlawful physical force". It's one of the reasons I tend to say that no ideology is against forcing people to conform, they just disagree about what people should be forced to conform to.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

TM wrote:
Every single ideology wants to force someone to do something, even libertarianism and Objectivism, which are both "ewww government" and "ewww force" based ideologies do want to force people to adhere to things they value. For instance, both of the mentioned ideologies are against use of what they deem "unlawful physical force". It's one of the reasons I tend to say that no ideology is against forcing people to conform, they just disagree about what people should be forced to conform to.

For once I agree with you.