Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 10:11 pm

I was just thinking about this the other day. Looking back from when I went to school I noticed that children who were more outgoing or extroverted with disabilities and/or mental issues if you want to call it, usually got immediate attention and more assistance. I don't know if it has something to do with trying to get them to settle down so the class is more peaceful. I don't know I just found that in general.

Saying that though, being a preschool teacher myself I was definitely guilty at times at paying more attention to the children who were louder and misbehaving because you needed to do something instantly to get the class to calm down meanwhile you have the quieter children with special needs who just sit there unattended. I did notice that when I was teaching and I tried to make an effort to be more inclusive but it is hard. That's why I think educational assistants in classrooms from preschool all the way up to grade 12 are essential and just as important as teachers.

I believe if more emphasis was placed on treating all students as individuals and there were more educational assistants available and more funding for special ed and behaviour programs then all children, whether they are quiet or more outspoken can get the help they need. I also believe that when I went to school if the above was actually implemented then I probably would have gotten more help and possibly a proper diagnosis and I wouldn't be in this situation right now.

What do you think? How was it when you went to school? Did you find that all students got equal treatment? Would you change anything about the educational system in your area?

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 12:35 pm

conventional education is all about competing in the world
its more about being faster, quicker, smarter and competitive
if a child is slow in any way then probably it needs special education or artistic learnings
even i have been trained in kindergarten teaching and i teach in NGO
i understand what you are trying to say but i am sure they won't consider wasting time
on children who are coasters and weak.
there is so much competition and its just survival of the fittest