Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 5:03 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Aspie_SE10 wrote:
I do love M-theory but it appears to fit a little too well.

How can you love a theory for which there is no empirical corroboration?

ruveyn

It fails to meet the standard of being falsifiable, too. I can't see how it can be classified as science at all.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

i think that they may of been a time before the big bang
a galxay could end then a new one is formed in its place
that what could happen to us (in a few billon years)

please reply on this.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:11 am

mmcool wrote:
i think that they may of been a time before the big bang
a galxay could end then a new one is formed in its place
that what could happen to us (in a few billon years)

please reply on this.

Hey, sorry I didn't get back sooner. I read this earlier today but just had no idea how to continue. The truth is I was hoping an astrophysicist would answer the question for me.

I don't have any knowledge that a person couldn't easily look up online and learn in about 15 minutes. Just looking for info.

Personally, my unscientific view is that science has not come very close to answering this question. Personally, I find the theory of parallel universes about just as plausible as the idea that something came out of nothing, which is just as plausible as the idea that God created the university, which is just as plausible as the idea that nothing created God.

I don't have any clue.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 5:11 am

Kon wrote:
This model below is pretty interesting. The author tries to reconcile:
Quote:
How is there a universe when the seemingly two only options (he argues) for its lifetime, finite or infinite, both result in contradiction?

He ends up arguing thar time must be cyclic and so existence can be both eternal and finite:

On a Finite Universe with no Beginning or End
http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0612/0612053.pdf

Why there is something rather than nothing-The finite, infinite and eternal
http://lanl.arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/ ... 5.2720.pdf

Thanks for the links, Kon.

I will take a look at them.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:37 am

Aspie_SE10 wrote:

Physics.

As for there being little empirical evidence for M-theory - true, but there's very little evidence for any of the pre-BB theories.

Physics is a human activity, It is the logical and empirical study of the natural world.

ruveyn

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

Kon wrote:
This model below is pretty interesting. The author tries to reconcile:
Quote:
How is there a universe when the seemingly two only options (he argues) for its lifetime, finite or infinite, both result in contradiction?

He ends up arguing thar time must be cyclic and so existence can be both eternal and finite:

On a Finite Universe with no Beginning or End
http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0612/0612053.pdf

Why there is something rather than nothing-The finite, infinite and eternal
http://lanl.arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/ ... 5.2720.pdf

Thanks for sharing.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 4:42 pm

mmcool, you're confusing your terms. A galaxy is a collection of stars, usually numbering in the hundreds of millions or more. There are estimated to be approximately as many galaxies in our universe as there are stars in our galaxy (on the order of one hundred billion). Galaxies form, are dispersed, and form anew; our Milky Way galaxy may or may not survive collision with the Andromeda galaxy, some five million years from now. (Don't worry too much about our Sun; galaxies are mostly empty space and dust, and the odds of our own star colliding with one in the Andromeda galaxy during the interaction are vanishingly low.)

"What happened before the Big Bang?", however, is a question for philosophers and theologians, not scientists. Science concerns itself with the observable universe, and almost by definition you cannot observe anything "before" the universe came into being. One cannot even be certain that the term "before" has any meaning whatsoever in those circumstances - "before" implies the existence of time, which seems inextricably intertwined with the existence of space, so how could there be a "before" space existed?

Tales of 11-dimensional brane collisions are not "theories", they are hypotheses. Brane "theory" cannot be experimentally proved or disproved - scientifically, it's what we call a "non-falsifiable hypothesis" (one that makes no predictions that can then be proved true or false), unless we were to find the Higgs boson at the LHC and prove whether or not it interacts with neighboring branes to produce gravity. (Personally, I'm kind of hoping the Higgs is found, but is shown to only interact with our universe - that implies the ability to modify or manipulate the Higgs field, which would imply the possibility of anti-gravity and controlled artificial gravity.) The same holds for the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, sometimes called "multiverse theory".

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 8:10 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
Tales of 11-dimensional brane collisions are not "theories", they are hypotheses. Brane "theory" cannot be experimentally proved or disproved - scientifically, it's what we call a "non-falsifiable hypothesis" (one that makes no predictions that can then be proved true or false), unless we were to find the Higgs boson at the LHC and prove whether or not it interacts with neighboring branes to produce gravity. (Personally, I'm kind of hoping the Higgs is found, but is shown to only interact with our universe - that implies the ability to modify or manipulate the Higgs field, which would imply the possibility of anti-gravity and controlled artificial gravity.) The same holds for the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, sometimes called "multiverse theory".

The Higgs Boson has nothing to do with gravity. When we say that the Higgs gives other particles mass, we mean inertial mass, not gravitational mass.

physicsnut42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2012, 4:42 pm

Jono wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:

The Higgs Boson has nothing to do with gravity. When we say that the Higgs gives other particles mass, we mean inertial mass, not gravitational mass.

I second that. I've read that the Higgs has more to do with the weak force, somehow, though I don't really understand it to well. Apparently all massive (I mean having mass, not big) particles interact with this weak force field created by the Higgs asymmetrically, and they sort of get all caught in it. Like maple syrup. I don't really understand it that well (and I might of remembered a few things wrong!). Can anyone explain it better?

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 11:07 am

To work that one out, theoretical physicists must come up the way to reconcile quantum physics with general theory of relativity. The thing is both feature alternative universes in both general relativity and the possibility of what's on the other side of a black hole and other rips in spacetime fabric and the other featuring alternative universes in quantum physics and in some kind of probability wavefunction which may be an explanation for the fuzzy nature of Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle which means you can't know a particle's position and momentum simultaneously. You can know one but that increases uncertainty about the other property. One interpretation says that the collapse of the particles wave function would cause that to assume properties that are observed. That is the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics. Another interpretation of quantum physics states that each observation of a particle causes the universe to split into two or more parallel universes an electron in an atom exist as a probability cloud is because it i in all parallel universes simultaneously. That being the many worlds interpretation of quantum physics as developed by Hugh Everett III in 1953. The bringing together quantum physics with Einstein's General Theory of Relativity and possibly remove the birth of the universe singularity and therefore the possibility of black hole singularities. This involved developing some kind of quantum theory of general relativity or quantum gravity by using higher dimensional geometry which is very complicated mathematics. Two contenders for this theory would be string theory or M theory which makes sense using ten dimensions and may be two or more time dimensions. These dimensions would be compactified to about the Planck length in size and shorter than that makes no sense because physics breaks down at lengths shorter than 10^-33 centimetres, the Planck length. At the Planck time about 10^44 second all interactions were at equal strength. All ten or 11 dimensions were of equal size an then after that four of the 10 or 11 dimensions expanded these are the 3 of space and Albert Einstein's fourth dimension. The 11 dimension makes trings stretch out into membranes or 'branes' for short and what happens when these 'branes' collide? it is postulated that it makes 'big bang' like the one which started this universe. Under M theory a lot of universes an infinity of them in 11 dimensional superspace. Another theory is that the universe is the product of a previous universe running in reverse.. That one towards a 'big crunch' causing our big bang. But then again I am not a physicist. :idea: