Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

A_Landy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2012, 3:08 pm

Does anyone on here have a fear of blood donation? I know I do (just the thought of it scares the s**t out of me and causes quenching in my veins). I'm afraid that I would be dragged in and forced to do it and pass out and bust my head into something or drop dead while doing it. Am I just thinking too much? :oops: How does it feel to do blood donations?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

I hate to have my blood drawn for any reason.
I've never donated blood. I can't stand the idea of sitting there with a needle in my arm for any length of time.

Scatmaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2012, 3:12 pm

I used to, before I actually did it and it turned out fine.

I actually didn't feel anything while it was happening, except maybe a little light headed after a while. Then I went home and treated myself to a day of gaming because I "don't want to pass out" =P. And I also sat down all day for the same reason. I kinda got light headed standing up.

Oh, and also, they don't force you at all. At every step along the process, they were making sure I was comfortable and still willing to donate.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 3:29 pm

Scatmaster wrote:
...Oh, and also, they don't force you at all. At every step along the process, they were making sure I was comfortable and still willing to donate.

Yes, they are medical professionals, not vampires.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 4:51 pm

It is OK, I have done it many times.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 5:06 pm

I'm strange in that the actual blood drawing doesn't bother me a bit. But the finger sticking - for some reason that gets to me in a big way, so much that I nearly fainted once right after it. But a needle in my vein? No big deal.

Go figure.

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2012, 5:28 pm

shrox wrote:
Scatmaster wrote:
...Oh, and also, they don't force you at all. At every step along the process, they were making sure I was comfortable and still willing to donate.

Yes, they are medical professionals, not vampires.

:lol: :lol: Now THAT is a brilliant mental picture! Vampirical nurses :wink:

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 5:46 pm

My mother always donated blood when I was little, I'd go with her, she was very upset when she was told she could not longer donate so I said I'd take her place once I was old enough - but alas I can't give blood, I've tried but they asked me not to come back because it causes me a lot of pain and for what little they get out of me it's not worth the pain.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jun 2012, 11:45 am

Think about something for a minute: If you don't like the idea of it, and/or you have a problem with needles, etc., think about how you'll feel after you go through it, and know that maybe someone's mother, or child, or husband or wife, is still alive because you gave blood :wink:

I've never heard of anyone being hurt or catching anything by donating blood since the 1970s before they knew anything about AIDS and hepatitis and all. It's all brand-new sterilized equipment and disposable gloves, and super-clean where they do it. And they'll check you over to be sure you won't faint, and you're lying on a couch when they do it. And they'll give you plenty to drink, and won't let you hurry out of the place until you're 100% safe. Don't get me wrong; they're not going to lock you up or anything... Just they'll tell you how long to sit there afterwards. Maybe 5 minutes or 20 minutes most.

Charles

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:50 pm

kx250rider wrote:
Think about something for a minute: If you don't like the idea of it, and/or you have a problem with needles, etc., think about how you'll feel after you go through it, and know that maybe someone's mother, or child, or husband or wife, is still alive because you gave blood :wink:

I've never heard of anyone being hurt or catching anything by donating blood since the 1970s before they knew anything about AIDS and hepatitis and all. It's all brand-new sterilized equipment and disposable gloves, and super-clean where they do it. And they'll check you over to be sure you won't faint, and you're lying on a couch when they do it. And they'll give you plenty to drink, and won't let you hurry out of the place until you're 100% safe. Don't get me wrong; they're not going to lock you up or anything... Just they'll tell you how long to sit there afterwards. Maybe 5 minutes or 20 minutes most.

Charles
Maybe it's a good idea to let them know when you get there that you're anxious, and about any specific anxieties about the process. This would at least give them a clue as to what may help you be calm through the process, rather than surprise problems arising.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

I've done it well over one hundred times. My advice, if you're going to do this, is 1) to ask for the most experienced phlebotomist they have, 2) don't watch when they put the needle in, and 3) realize that it's going to sting a little (it's not the needle that stings, it's the anticoagulant that's on the end of the needle that stings).

Any other questions, please let me know. And good luck!

Are you donating whole blood for people who need it or are you having to give a blood sample for a test? I ask because with donating blood they use a large gauge needle, while with blood tests it's a teensy needle.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2012, 9:17 pm

Wait until they have the needle/tubing taped down to your arm before clenching your fist (this helps pump the blood quicker). One time I started too early and the needle came out (had to swap arms).

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

I hate needles.

I'd take a running into a burning building over a needle.

Taliesin-DS
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm

I don't mind the needle other than the risk of getting weird diseases that could happen at any place were they use needles (like hiv)
What really does creep me out is seeing my blood starting to fill the tube and then getting slower and slower like it's running out.
I know it is definately not running out after just filling one tube but i can't shake the feeling that that blood i'm looking at i not supposed to be in that tube but in my arm.
As soon as i realise that the needle has to come out and the blood must be put back in!! XD

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2012, 8:11 am

Quote:
I don't mind the needle other than the risk of getting weird diseases that could happen at any place were they use needles (like hiv)

There should be very little (almost zero) risk of getting an infection from having a blood sample taken or giving a blood donation. All the equipment used is sterile and single use.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:58 pm

I sell plasma twice a week.
I don't love needles, and blood makes me sick.
But I don't watch. :lol:

to his Interest."