Do you ever feel like you *need* to go insane?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:09 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
I was just pointing it out. People who are saying they wish they could go insane, would probably not want to do so under the medical definition.

Insanity is not a medical term and therefore does not have a medical definition though.

Insanity is a legal term.

The closest approximation in the medical field is psychosis.

'Insanity' in a casual context, seems to mean behaving 'crazily', as I've learned in this thread.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
I was just pointing it out. People who are saying they wish they could go insane, would probably not want to do so under the medical definition.

Insanity is not a medical term and therefore does not have a medical definition though.

Insanity is a legal term.

The closest approximation in the medical field is psychosis.

I know that, but its not just a legal term either...its a commonly used term as well. Also it depends on how you define insanity, it should not be assumed if one says insanity they are referring to psychosis.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I'm emotionally undemonstrative and tend not to act up. My way of 'going crazy' in the sense you mean is self-harming behaviours in private. Even then, I feel guilty and self-conscious about doing them afterwards.

So I do see what you mean. It was just a difference of definitions.

I have never harmed myself so I don't have any experience, but I don't think you should feel guilty about your self harm. That will probably make it worse.

Maybe it's a good idea to get some help because you are clearly in a lot of mental pain from time to time. I think people deserve better than a cycle of mental and psysical pain. I think that you are actually a very sensitive person bust there must be another way for you to express your emotions. It is very difficult to find an alternative to behaviour patterns you have gotten used to but it is not impossible.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:14 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I'm emotionally undemonstrative and tend not to act up. My way of 'going crazy' in the sense you mean is self-harming behaviours in private. Even then, I feel guilty and self-conscious about doing them afterwards.

I didn't mean self harming. I call that self destruction. I guess, by insanity I mean, distancing myself from the reality of others.

I'm recovering from self harming - I know what you mean about self-conscious. Especially in the summer heat.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:53 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I know that, but its not just a legal term either...its a commonly used term as well. Also it depends on how you define insanity, it should not be assumed if one says insanity they are referring to psychosis.

I'm not sure what exactly it refers to in colloquial usage, hence my confusion. Don't mind me, I'm just being autistic. :P

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:55 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I'm not sure what exactly it refers to in colloquial usage, hence my confusion. Don't mind me, I'm just being autistic. :P

I don't know what colloquial is?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:55 pm

pokerface wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

I have never harmed myself so I don't have any experience, but I don't think you should feel guilty about your self harm. That will probably make it worse.

Maybe it's a good idea to get some help because you are clearly in a lot of mental pain from time to time. I think people deserve better than a cycle of mental and psysical pain. I think that you are actually a very sensitive person bust there must be another way for you to express your emotions. It is very difficult to find an alternative to behaviour patterns you have gotten used to but it is not impossible.

Still on the waiting list for a therapist.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:56 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Used in casual speech.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 9:58 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Used in casual speech.

Ah that makes sense, I thought it would be something like that, I don't recall ever seeing it before though.