Do you ever feel like you *need* to go insane?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 10:30 pm

This is like, instead of being driven insane by society... you just go along with that gust of volatile extremity and just do something that you never did before. Like masturbate in a church.

I mean, why not? Repetition in life, as most people seem to be just so happy to solely experience, is a life totally wasted.

Does anyone think insanity is possibly instinctual?

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

I've had the urge to physically break myself into pieces, if that relates at all to what you were mentioning.
Perhaps insanity is the mind's mechanism for dealing with a reality that it cannot fully comprehend. Perhaps the mind rationalizes that by breaking one of "the rules" of the reality that it does not comprehend, it can disprove the existence of said reality and proceed to project a new one which it can comprehend.
Insanity may very well be a instinct to preserve the mind from this lack of understanding.

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2012, 10:49 pm

I have had many insane-like moments when I would love to: scream and tear my clothing; throw anything I can get my hands while running around; hit and/or choke any human being that comes near me.

However, I have been able to maintain my cool enough to simply remove myself from the situation and meltdown in private.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:17 am

Mootoo wrote:
This is like, instead of being driven insane by society... you just go along with that gust of volatile extremity and just do something that you never did before. Like masturbate in a church.

I mean, why not? Repetition in life, as most people seem to be just so happy to solely experience, is a life totally wasted.

Not quite that, but I have, in my hormonal teens, masturbated somewhere very public while sober. I wouldn't call it insane though, just hormones running amok.

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2012, 3:26 am

Sometimes when I realise that I've been doing something every day for a long time, I suddenly think "I can't just do this for the rest of my life" and do something different, which usually unsettles me but stops my routine getting really frozen and unmovable.

Sometimes when I start feeling really "meltdowny" I wonder if someone's going to come home to find a mute girl sitting in a cupboard and then I go insane so I can't talk to them :oops: If that's more what you mean.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 4:08 am

I crossdress when in crisis. Which generally intensifies my problems. But, so goes the loop. Got a gender change in California, now I'm stuck in Virginia w/o a tenable identity. Is that "insane" enough?

EQ: 6.

Jupiter1234
Raven
Raven

02 Jun 2012, 8:30 am

I always get a crazy urge like I remember in elementary school I would get the urge to jump ontop of the desk and dance while throwing things.......or jump of the upper level of seats in church

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

Kind of, I mean I feel society has more or less contributed to some of my issues....but yeah sometimes I feel like I'm on the verge of going over the edge and sometimes I want to just quit fighting and just go with the flow of things you know. Like instead of holding back I just want to fall into that abyss of insanity. If that makes any sense.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:58 am

That makes sense. There IS an abyss of insanity - I've stood right on the edge.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 12:20 pm

EstherJ wrote:

Yeah I've been there on more than one occasion, trying to find a reason not to just jump in so I feel every time I'm on the edge I am closer and closer to being consumed by the abyss of insanity. It kind of brings this song to mind in some ways:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKyEbjcvUag&ob=av2n[/youtube]

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2012, 1:07 pm

Yes, I feel the need to go insane a lot. I have this darker side of myself, it is almost like having an inner demon inside of me that I wish I could set free and let it take over. I always need to keep my dark urges in control every time I am angered and sometimes I just want to give in to those urges.

Sweetleaf wrote:
EstherJ wrote:

Yeah I've been there on more than one occasion, trying to find a reason not to just jump in so I feel every time I'm on the edge I am closer and closer to being consumed by the abyss of insanity. It kind of brings this song to mind in some ways:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKyEbjcvUag&ob=av2n[/youtube]

This was an epic music video by the way. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

No matter what's been going on in my life and how depressed I've been or how much sleep I've lost, etc, I've never once felt a detachment from reality. The one time I did come very close was when my daughter was about 10 days old and I was severely sleep deprived - I dealt with that before it took hold. Maybe I have been detached and didn't know, but no-one ever showed any concern for my sanity or advised me to see a doc. So I'm pretty sure it has remained intact. Sometimes I feel like I don't have it in me to totally lose touch (famous last words :D ). A breakdown is you body's way of telling you that you should have gotten out of that stressful situation. I'm sure I've come close, but not quite close enough.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:17 pm

Well, since insanity is basically just a legal term that means "not responsible for my own actions" I was there at the depths of a major depreession. Not a fun place, psychosis. Which is the more scientific term.
For me, I just have moments when I have wondered if ANYTHING was really REAL. Hard to explain, maybe like "The Matrix" movies. Or wondering if this was another dream. I used to get these moments often in High School & College.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:24 pm

Matt62 wrote:
Well, since insanity is basically just a legal term that means "not responsible for my own actions" I was there at the depths of a major depreession. Not a fun place, psychosis. Which is the more scientific term.
For me, I just have moments when I have wondered if ANYTHING was really REAL. Hard to explain, maybe like "The Matrix" movies. Or wondering if this was another dream. I used to get these moments often in High School & College.

Sincerely,
Matthew

I have to wonder that at times as well, especially if my PTSD gets triggered, then I end up trying to find something that's real just to grab ahold of before I get dragged into that uncertainty of if anything is really real, if I am even real ect. as its an rather unpleasant place to be. I have wondered if my life was a dream before and I would wake up but that never really disturbed me I've just thought about it.

falonsayswoah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Like instead of holding back I just want to fall into that abyss of insanity. If that makes any sense.

I feel like that when my depression and anxiety get really bad. It's extremely hard to keep trying when things get bad but I haven't given in yet.

Matt62 wrote:
For me, I just have moments when I have wondered if ANYTHING was really REAL. Hard to explain, maybe like "The Matrix" movies. Or wondering if this was another dream.

I remember one time in middle school I asked my Theology teacher, "What if this is all a dream? What if I'm just asleep right now?"

Diagnosis: Major Depressive Affective Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Mild PTSD, Agoraphobia with Panic Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder of childhood with hyperactivity (more inattentive, though), Mild OCD, Social Phobia, Tourette's Syndrome

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

falonsayswoah wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Like instead of holding back I just want to fall into that abyss of insanity. If that makes any sense.

I feel like that when my depression and anxiety get really bad. It's extremely hard to keep trying when things get bad but I haven't given in yet.

I am having a hard time seeing a reason not to..it feels like my lifes probably going to hell regardless of what I do.